Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

1 hour ago, keyser said:

There is still a Mustang. There are still 911’s, Ferraris, etc. SUV’s allow them to build sports cars, muscle cars. It’s a brand, and they’re not slugs. So if selling it keeps ICE motors in regular Mustangs, great!  
Lambo and Porsche sell far more SUVs than cars. That’s what people want. 
It slays me when everyone whines about gas prices as they all drive SUVs/trucks. Usually with 1 person up. 🤦🏻‍♂️

the difference is Porsche isn't slapping 911 badges on SUV's or 4 door sedans.  Ford can make and sell all the SUV's/crossover's they want.  just DON'T slap a Mustang name/badge on them.  have respect for your heritage.

Ford did it so they could stop making the cars.  the current chassis is supposed to have another 8 year production run.  SUV's are cash cows. Ford has shown whey have no interest in making cars, i think the Mustang is the only car they still have.  after that 8 years is up, they'll drop the car like a bad habit, witch will leave just the crossover, it's how they're forcefully "transitioning" us on the platform change, and sense you can't run a crossover in NASCAR, Trans AM, NHRA, etc, it will mark Ford's exit form motorsports (not like they're making money on motorsports anyway).  unless some EV racing pops up, and lets face it, based on formula e, it'll be a snooze fest.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

the difference is Porsche isn't slapping 911 badges on SUV's or 4 door sedans.  Ford can make and sell all the SUV's/crossover's they want.  just DON'T slap a Mustang name/badge on them.  have respect for your heritage.

Ford did it so they could stop making the cars.  the current chassis is supposed to have another 8 year production run.  SUV's are cash cows. Ford has shown whey have no interest in making cars, i think the Mustang is the only car they still have.  after that 8 years is up, they'll drop the car like a bad habit, witch will leave just the crossover, it's how they're forcefully "transitioning" us on the platform change, and sense you can't run a crossover in NASCAR, Trans AM, NHRA, etc, it will mark Ford's exit form motorsports (not like they're making money on motorsports anyway).  unless some EV racing pops up, and lets face it, based on formula e, it'll be a snooze fest.

Recycling names has been happening for decades.

Ramcharger - was a car, became a truck.

Maverick - was a car, became a truck

Falcon - at least two different versions, on at least two different continents, including a truck

Explorer - was a truck trim level, now an SUV

Commander - was a Studebaker, became a Jeep

Hornet - was a car, now some sort of micro SUV thing

Charger - was a coupe, became a performance icon, then became a rebadged Japanese import, then became a crappy econo-car, now a family/rental car

And I'll argue that putting an iconic name on an awful car is worse that putting a classic name on really good new platform.

Charger - remember the late-70s and the 80s? Hemi 2.6 anyone?

Mustang - sorry, but the Mustang II of the 70s was terrible, and the first Fox bodies were not much better.

Dart - the most recent Dart was a glorified Neon. Awful.

The Mach-E is an amazing car to drive. People just need to get over the fact that Ford wanted to call it a Mustang.

The new Chevy Blazer is one of the better crossover SUVs out there. Again, people need to get over the name thing.

North American brands in general have no interest in making ICE cars. Ford have one left, the Mustang. Chrysler/Dodge have essentially one car left. The Challenger/Charger was old when it was new, having been based on a 10 year old Mercedes platform when it came out. And when it dies, that's it for Chrysler. GM are slowly getting rid of their ICE cars. Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, Spark, CT4, CT5. And when all of these are retired, they will not be replaced. Even Mazda is slowly ditching their car lineup.

Of course, having said that, this is purely a North American thing. In the rest of the world, cars are still popular.

As for motorsports, you have Formula E,  E-touring cars in Europe, F1 has been hybrid for years, LeMans has been hybrid for years, and it's just going to keep coming. I'll bet within 10 years you have a Nascar E-series, NHRA e-drags, electric Indy cars, and more.  

Anyway, enough derailing this thread.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, Suburban_Hooligan said:

I saw one of these new Mustangs today in the market parking lot. I didn't realize what it was, and didn't particularly care, but the horse in the middle of where the grill should have been caught my eye. This looked like a substantial sized 4 door sedan not at all like a crossover or what ever those things are. They should have called it an LTD and it would have been more fitting of a name for the size of vehicle and the general shape of it. 

Saw this coming home today. If its real, it's 1 of 175. Quick search show this isn't one of the 8 colors available, cranberry red being one option. This one's more of a maroon. It has the Yenko badge, hood tach, and other things specific to the car. It also has a Hurst badge on the left deck lid. That I didn't see anywhere in an image search. Still a pretty car. What do you guys & girls think, real or clone?

20220615_141518_HDR.jpg

20220615_141510_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Saw this coming home today. If its real, it's 1 of 175. Quick search show this isn't one of the 8 colors available, cranberry red being one option. This one's more of a maroon. It has the Yenko badge, hood tach, and other things specific to the car. It also has a Hurst badge on the left deck lid. That I didn't see anywhere in an image search. Still a pretty car. What do you guys & girls think, real or clone?

20220615_141518_HDR.jpg

20220615_141510_HDR.jpg

While it's a nice looking clone, with the after market paint masks out there I think there are more Yanko Deuces now than Yanko ever sold new.