Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Mesa FD wasn't having a particularly good day today. Lost a lower ball joint while turning into a supermarket a few blocks from my house. They were really cool guys, taking it all with a sense of humor. The biggest surprise for me, these ginormous paramedic units have upper and lower A frame front suspension. I mean, who knew?

IMG_0919.thumb.jpeg.95f095cfee9133f0c94ef03bf8cceca5.jpeg

IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.5c152a08ea787255e2304dea78f049b2.jpeg

IMG_0920.thumb.jpeg.b5dc5998c25000a1fc78763d2fc09aea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, RSchnell said:

68 or 69 Corvette sitting in a driveway. You don't see many black early C3's!

20220802_172937_HDR.jpg

The reason you dont see many in black,is because they wouldnt let them be painted in black when they were new as,they were not straight enough for black,they had trouble with the "bonding strips" where the fenders were attached,it showed up bad in black.GM wouldnt allow them to go out like that.It is a strip about an inch wide that is just below the tops of the front fenders and quarter panels,I used to work on some of these back in the day,it was a softer area and the "filler" would shrink and look like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH,we used to dig it out and reapply some fill and then they were good to go,this was on old used ones,not new ones,i worked in a body shop that did a lot of corvettes then,dont miss them one bit.😒

23 minutes ago, 37 caddy said:

The reason you dont see many in black,is because they wouldnt let them be painted in black when they were new as,they were not straight enough for black,they had trouble with the "bonding strips" where the fenders were attached,it showed up bad in black.GM wouldnt allow them to go out like that.It is a strip about an inch wide that is just below the tops of the front fenders and quarter panels,I used to work on some of these back in the day,it was a softer area and the "filler" would shrink and look like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH,we used to dig it out and reapply some fill and then they were good to go,this was on old used ones,not new ones,i worked in a body shop that did a lot of corvettes then,dont miss them one bit.😒

That is interesting but not surprising. Wouldn't the same issues manifest itself with other dark colors such as Marlboro Maroon or Bridgehampton Blue? C3's are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I'm more familiar with C1's. Been messing around with those close to 30 yrs now. No birdcage to rust out but they still leak like any other early Corvette. 🙂

Random pics from today. You don't see many of those Bronco II's on the road anymore, much less one that hasn't been totally thrashed. The 30s Dodge truck and '57 Ranchero have been sitting in the same spot for a good while, finally had time to snap a couple photos.

_DSC0957.jpg

_DSC0961.jpg

20220806_143633_HDR.jpg

20220806_143640_HDR.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 9:51 PM, keyser said:

Interesting. Ranchero has 58 hood on it, Mustang GT wheels and caps, and a full windowed Econoline pickup hiding behind it. 

...and a mid 50s Mercury hdtp a little farther back. Cool lot.

• Like 1