Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Funny you mention that CRV CabDriver, there's a kid here in West Chicago (for reference, we're a "small" suburb about an hour west of Chicago) that has a white first gen CRV that has been dropped with different, but still Honda/Acura wheels on it. I kinda dig that he's done it and drives it, but he's young enough that it could be his first car too.

One thing I've been noticing alot of is more and more Maseratis and Alfa Romeos around here, moreso in the more affluent suburbs St. Charles, Geneva, and Batavia. Also saw an unusually large number of non-WRX or STI Subarus, Outbacks in particular today.....it was kinda weird. Keep forgetting to mention it, but I've noticed one of the K-Body Dodge or Chrysler Convertibles that is way to clean for this area......not to mention it's even older than that Reliant on the last page too:blink:

On 2019-05-10 at 3:52 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Cleaning out the iPhone....   

Here's some "On The Road Images", these from 2014.   I have more if interested....

image.png.323ef4d417598d009bb7a8d0d895c5af.png

Tom, do you happen to have more pics of the chopped VW van in the backgound of this pic? Looks interesting...

/Claes

10 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

Tom, do you happen to have more pics of the chopped VW van in the backgound of this pic? Looks interesting...

/Claes

corbo8

Claes, I found one more photo.   

corbo7

This was Corbo Automotive here in Exton, PA. Dan Corbo was seriously into VWs and always had a yard full of them.  A real shade tree mechanic shop!  And he was a character too!  He became my regular mechanic for years because he was good, honest and cheap!  He'd have VW resto projects going on in the garage and often would be working on your car out front!   My first time there he had the right side bay full of a frame off VW  Beetle Oval Window.   And he was a good guy.  One time I mentioned my self propelled lawn mower drive gear had slipped off and I couldn't get it back on. He said, "Bring it here."  and he fixed it, no charge!  

corbo5

Me petting the watch goat.  

corbo4

And the last shot..   this spring I went past the place and the yard was cleared and the building locked. I noticed the sign was gone.  Ron had threatened to retire for years and it seems he finally did so!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

Wow!  Gotta love the Internet...  right after I posted the above message, I got the inkling to Google, "Honey I Shrunk The Bus" VW  and it came right up.  I haven't even gone through it all yet, but this is very cool!

Image result for honey i shrunk the bus vw

Some history with a few more photos:   https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5272074

1967-vw-split-window-vintage-drag-car-race-bus-van-chopped-hot-custom-rat-rod-12.JPG

http://veh-markets.com/cars/volkswagen-c/192010-1967-vw-split-window-vintage-drag-car-race-bus-van-chopped-hot-custom-rat-rod.html

"Hey guys, I am making my way over the type 3 side to ask you guys a question. My dad had built a drag bus named " honey I shrunk the bus" over twenty years ago for a good friend of his Danny Corbo. We've kept in contact with Danny since he parked it and has offered to let us have the bus. I'm starting to seriously contemplate doing so but would be in need of a roof to chop up. The one on it has gotten pretty beat sitting uncovered for fifteen years. I'm in eastern pa and was just wondering if there are any decent enough busses left to do what I need to do. Pictures are as it sits now. Thanks guys "

Interesting!  The above post was from 2011, so I'm thinking that this guy never acted on it, since the van was there last time I remembered right before the garage closed.  See the one post showing it for sale, I don't know if that's a current ad, but some of the photos in it are very old.  For instance, there are shots in front of the garage in bare wood.  It's been painted blue as long as I remember, and I've been here since 2010.  

Whenever we talked about the truck,  Dan always said he was going to restore it someday.  

Anyone feel a model coming on??

It was a beautiful day here in west central Ohio so a number of cool cars were out. I was three great restored examples, a mid 50's Packard, a '51 Ford convertible and a '34 Ford phaeton. Also a restored and repurposed early Shell gas station. Overall a pretty great day for an old gearhead like me!

Beautiful day here in northeast Ohio also.  Saw a sharp orange 68-69 Chevy C10 stepside pickup w/ the small rear window, a clean red w black top 72 Torino, and a red 70s Lamborghini Jarama I’ve seen a couple times before.  

We were out and about in the river and state border towns of Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA.   And it was a nice sunny day and the old cars were out in droves.  Lots of open tops, a '57 Chevy coupe,  '68 Firebird convertible, a bunch of Corvettes and interesting... at least five of those Polaris Slingshot three wheelers.   Didn't have the phone out quick enough to get photos.

Took a Sunday drive up along Lake Erie, saw a lot of interesting cars, esp. Pontiacs.   Saw a black w gold striping ‘77-78 Trans Am and a gold ‘77-78 Trans Am about a mile apart, a mid 80s white Trans Am in a driveway, a shop w a restorable black 63 Grand Prix and primered ‘66 LeMans 2dr our front, a silver Solatice top down, and a dark red ‘04-06 GTO.  Also a clean red ‘68 Camaro. 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, CabDriver said:

The proportions on that hot rod above are really weird.  Like, it’s not wide enough and the wheelbase is too short or something - I’m not sure what it is.

That and the steering wheel was put on the wrong side.  Seriously,  I'm in admiration of anyone who takes random parts and makes a car.  I've got a neighbor who does just that.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, CabDriver said:

The proportions on that hot rod above are really weird.  Like, it’s not wide enough and the wheelbase is too short or something - I’m not sure what it is.

The cab seems unusually wide relative to the rest of the vehicle...wonder what it started as.

21 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The cab seems unusually wide relative to the rest of the vehicle...wonder what it started as.

You're right - I wonder if it just has unusually narrow axles maybe?

Spotted this two tone color-schemed Bentley nearby last week - wonder if that's a factory paint combination or something custom?  Caught my eye anyway!

2v2EiBQu5xue8Lf.jpg

And this cool BMW something-or-other.  It sounded like a spaceship as the guy pulled away!  Pretty cool, whatever it is:

2v2EDfj5nxue8Lf.jpg

And as proof that you can't have nice things in New York, here's my one neighbor parking by braille, using my other neighbor's car as a guide of when you're definitely in the spot:

2v2EDfjMLxue8Lf.jpg