Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Went out yesterday and picked up the most talked about truck in decades. 

2020 Jeep Gladiator. This one is a Sport model with a few bells and whistles. Drives and feels exactly like a Wrangler, which means it's pretty dang great. I want one. Rubicon model with a manual trans please!

20190606_121657.jpg

20190606_121710.jpg

12 hours ago, espo said:

Even as a Belvedere II and maybe a 273 v8 it is still a good looking car and if someone wanted to make it into a big block or even a Hemi it would be a great car to have. 

its already got a 383 in it now. 

The Gladiator looks cool and if you're only going off road and far into rough country it should do everything people would want of it. The only thing that I can see that would be a problem off road is the departure angels aren't as great as the normal Wrangler or even the Unlimited. They will sell all of them they can build. We looked at one on display at the Costco this weekend and thought that if it was offered as a 2 door that the wheelbase would be such that it would go some of the places that our JK 2 door will go. But it is a handsome looking vehicle.   

15 hours ago, espo said:

The Gladiator looks cool and if you're only going off road and far into rough country it should do everything people would want of it. They will sell all of them they can build. 

Agreed!  Most of them will never leave pavement.  And at these numbers most of them will be leased by people who make about that a year!

And as you said, if that was a two door two seater... I'd be in love!

image.png.efd11157d3674270495e3b1758f4b7df.png

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Agreed!  Most of them will never leave pavement.  And at these numbers most of them will be leased by people who make about that a year!

And as you said, if that was a two door two seater... I'd be in love!

image.png.efd11157d3674270495e3b1758f4b7df.png

I don't really know how the Wrangler models are selling in other parts of the country, but they are extremely popular in the Kansas City Metro area. When they introduced the Unlimited 4 door Wrangler their sales took off like a shot and understandably so. The reality is that less than 50 % of Wrangler buyers wound go "Wheeling"  as we call it on a regular basis. Most were used for their ability to get around regardless of weather conditions. In this area the 4 door version of anything with 4WD was almost the default family vehicle. While the Wrangler has always had a unique appeal to many the lack of 4 doors kept the demand far lower than what we see today. When they started production of the Unlimited it gave Fiat/Chrysler the license to print money. With the new truck model they will even sell more. Now people can haul the family and make Home Depot/Lowes and COSTCO runs. The cost has reached a point that many people will have to lease since buying may be beyond their means. While I wish the Wrangler line all the success that I feel that it deserves I hope they don't stray away from the beloved 2 door Wranglers that we so enjoy.   

A few more sightings from in and around sunny Brooklyn this past week.

This was at my local pizza shop:

2v2E46Tiyxue8Lf.jpg

A nice looking Honda NSX and one of two of the local McLarens that I know about in for a service:

2v2EmaYhqxue8Lf.jpg

I'm a sucker for a T-A, even if it is ratty...

2v2EmaYGgxue8Lf.jpg

Also on the same block:

2v2EmaYqGxue8Lf.jpg

I've always liked the front of these:

2v2EmaYyFxue8Lf.jpg

I wouldn't paint a BMW this color if it was mine, but it caught my eye!

2v2EmaYr5xue8Lf.jpg

And this would probably be a blast to ride (drive?):

2v2Ema7Jmxue8Lf.jpg

More next time! :D

Took a drive yesterday out into an area I hadn't been before (Norwalk and Milan, Ohio), saw a variety of interesting older cars..several 30s Model A hot rods rolling along (must have been a car show they were coming from/going to) , a sharp modded dark blue '68-72 Nova w/ an outlaw style hood,  a pair of early 60s Studebaker 4drs in front of an old, closed gas station,  a clean blue '64 Olds Cutlass 2dr ht, and a sharp white '73 Mustang convertible. 

Visited the Thomas Edison childhood home and museum in Milan, Ohio...neat little town w/ several museums.    

Then went up to Marblehead Lighthouse (been there several times) and out to East Harbor State Park and Beach in Marblehead--very windy and blustery on Lake Erie yesterday, but sunny.   Saw a clean white '66 Impala 2dr ht near the beach. 

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Took a drive yesterday out into an area I hadn't been before (Norwalk and Milan, Ohio), 

Visited the Thomas Edison childhood home and museum in Milan, Ohio...neat little town w/ several museums.    

Ah yes, my mother's home town Milan.  Also a lot of American Indian history east of town and I have a collection of arrow heads collected as my grandparents walked behind the horses plowing the fields.

Around here, Jeep dealers have a license to print money. It's called the Wrangler. One of the most common SUVs on the road around here. Even my company runs them in our rental division, and although we specialize in commercial leasing, we roll a couple every month. Have already done two Gladiators, and they've only been on ground 2 or 3 weeks. 

And you guys are right. most will never see anything harsher than a gravel road, and most will only ever use 4wd if it's snowing. Even the ones that get lifted and have "offroad" accessories added. 

I've actually owned five Jeeps over the years, four of them being Wranglers. A 2015 JK Sahara Unlimited, a 2008 JK Sahara, 2005 TJ Sport, 1990 YJ Islander. And a 1993 XJ Sport for good measure. Love Jeeps, love the utility and the ability, love being able to go topless. Love that the aftermarket is plentiful and inexpensive. 

:)

And for good measure, found this at a show...

20190525_112856.thumb.jpg.64612c8066f1aa0a719c7543c2f182aa.jpg

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Did this one have the swivel seats? Always thought that was a cool option!

In a previous life I had to verifiy a VIN on an old car at a crane and rigging company.  Took me to a beaten down shed like you expect to find in a crane and rigging company.  Inside was an absolute cherry '60 Chrysler 300.  White on white.  It had the swivel bucket seats.  Not a Chrysler guy but that car was gorgeous.

It would seem that they could use some driver training for the Suffolk Shariff's office. That much carnage can't be normal, can it ? Maybe these are props from a movie or TV shoot. Otherwise some officers is still doing paper work on this mess. 

On my way home I stopped for gas and this beauty thundered up to the pump across from me. The driver (as one would expect)  was extremely proud of his `69 427 S/C Yenko Camaro. He confessed it was not a numbers matching car but a tribute car. It`s taken him three years to faithfully replicate this classic American muscle-car; from the era correct paint, drive-train, white SYC stitched head rest; to the American Racing Thrust wheels mounted on replica Goodyear Polyglass tires. Chuckling he said, "It drives my girlfriend crazy when we go somewhere in it because; people or always honking, waving, giving me the thumbs up or wanting to take pictures. She just does not understand why it draws some much attention."  So, since he was riding solo I asked if I could take a few quick snap shots! LOL

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

Edited by 69NovaYenko

11 hours ago, espo said:

It would seem that they could use some driver training for the Suffolk Shariff's office. That much carnage can't be normal, can it ? Maybe these are props from a movie or TV shoot. Otherwise some officers is still doing paper work on this mess. 

No these are what’s left of some of Suffolk’s police cars.I believe a couple of officers were killed in these crashes.I just don’t know which two cars.?

The June Sprints are this weekend at Road America. Between this event and the historic races in July you can park anywhere off  1-43 north of Milwaukee to watch traffic and tick the boxes off for just about any exotic, sports or rare cars you can imagine heading up there. Have to miss the Sprints this year but often the parking lots around the track are almost as interesting as the event cars.

Made the ride home from work rather interesting today.

image.png.fe02d459fd21a7a975d947529fdeae30.png

Nice weather here in the Philly 'burbs so the cars were out today!   Neat early 60s Vette sitting at the light this morning....

image.png.79c50e948d9145a282a712584c65acba.png

Custom and chopped '51 Chevy this afternoon coming back home.  Note it has 55 Chevy tail lights. The nose was fairly stock.  Maine plates

Edited by Tom Geiger