Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

We are in Myrtle Beach on vacation plus this the 2O th anniversary of Mustang week as well so plenty to see out cruising on North Ocean Blvd on Saturday night. Natural!y a LOT of rumbling Mustangs plus 3C8's ( one each in white,orange and red). Spotted a lowered and patinaed 

'57 Chevy Long roof with three surf boards on board, a lowered and patinad '65 Ford pickup. There is a group of lifted late model pickups with super deep rims and neon lights inside those shiny chromed rims, some of those lights are rotating clockwise some going the other way. All this in about an hour so this should be car spotters paradise this week.

More later for sure.

Beach day today..drove up to Presque Isle State Park in Erie, PA to sit on the beach for a while and walk in the surf...very relaxing.  Stopped at a 1/2 dozen other beaches along Lake Erie on the way home...saw a variety of interesting cars today.

Saw a new Ford Bronco in person for the first time--a gray 2dr out front of a Ford dealer, saw a Porsche Taycan for the first time--a pale blue (almost white) one in Conneaut, Ohio,  saw a sharp dark red '70-ish Nova w/ a large cowl hood scoop, a very clean dark blue '65 Mustang 2+2 on I-90, a dark gray w/ black stripes current Shelby GT500, a bright yellow Lambo Huracan.  At a beach in Ashtabula, Ohio saw a car show by the water, incl a neat '62 Mercury 4dr. 

On my street tonight when I got home, saw a very sharp white w/ red interior '70 GTO in a driveway next to a sharp black '73-74 Challenger.    

IMG-5513.jpg

IMG-5514.jpg

2 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Not my first choice of SAAB, but a rare sighting anyway.

steve

IMG_2156.JPG

Just an observation but that shopping center looks like it could have been scooped up from Middle America and had  it dropped whole into the upper right hand corner of England.  Nothing different but the license plates and the steering wheels being on the wrong (😎) side.

7 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Just an observation but that shopping center looks like it could have been scooped up from Middle America and had  it dropped whole into the upper right hand corner of England.  Nothing different but the license plates and the steering wheels being on the wrong (😎) side.

...and lots of small hatchbacks.  In the US, the lot would be full of pickups and SUVs, with a few sedans..

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

...and lots of small hatchbacks.  In the US, the lot would be full of pickups and SUVs, with a few sedans..

An accurate point.  OTOH, Autoweek has an article about how Ford is pushing the Mustang E as a police vehicle in the UK.  Baby steps, baby steps.  We'll have them hauling their 8 year olds to their youth football games with SUV's in no time.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a37511291/ford-mustang-mach-e-police-car/

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Interesting observation. It goes to show the, sad to my mind, homogenisation of Western culture. It could also be Germany, Belgium or other parts of Central Europe.

Regarding SUVs and pickups @Rob HallThe UK have those too, in abundance. One of our vehicles is a Skoda Karoq, an SUV. Pickups, in the main, tend to be just working vehicles, rather than leisure or 'every day' transport.

As to the steering wheels, you've all got it wrong! 😃

steve

Edited by Earl Marischal

Second weekend of Mustang week here in Myrtle Beach,SC. This is also Saturday night so Ocean Blvd. Is full on,bumper to bumper,30+ block long cruise.  To steal a line from on old song" Cobras to the left of me,Saleens to the right,Oh my! Most of the crushing Mustang are relatively current generation and 90% are coupes. Dark colors are dominant. All move along in low gear,clutch in to allow for throttle blips in recognition of kindred spirits passing by under the street lamps and nearby neon signage. 

Also saw a lifted "party bus" with the center 20 feet of the roof removed. It had the name Cowboy Cadillac painted down the sides and was hauling a wedding party downtown and trust me they were feeling no pain. There is (IMO) a strange trend on display here as well. I'm seeing a few bum sized sized pickups with the tail gate end lowered and the nose gasser high up in the air to the point I wonder how they can see them street or pedestrians in front of them. Very large exhaust tips emitting ear splitting noise.Not safe looking at all.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, Beans said:

Don't see many Z's around lately.

Nice Z...very similar to the '85 my sister had in the mid to late 80s. Same color.  I remember driving that car right after I got my driver's license and I visited her in Arizona (I was living in S Florida then).  Hers had a manual. 

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is sitting in the parking lot of the B&B that the wife and I are spending the night in for our anniversary. 😊

FA74DA3B-A71E-4A47-BB98-156FA707E30C.thumb.jpeg.d63bf08ce6b3605ebf7f34fc4503abe5.jpeg

Plot twist - it’s yours…your wife is going to surprise you with it as an anniversary gift! 😂

Spotted in the Walmart parking lot this morning…it has 1:1 versions of those chrome headlamps we dislike so much in kits! 😂

E9F272D4-2063-47AA-963A-5DCCB5F8A11C.jpeg

ADF6A509-6F18-4D95-8A04-ED183526399A.jpeg

FEAE5B25-B967-4547-9DB6-9F0F08C1AFAB.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, The Junkman said:

I dunno - wouldn’t fit a Silverado or F-150 in one of those spots too well 😂