Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I posted the neighbor's cars at a local car show a couple of weeks back ('58 Olds and a punkin orange Henry J).  He just brought in his latest project on a flat bed trailer.  Early '50s Studebaker pickup truck, in a very dark bluish-green.  It looked complete and in good shape but pics will have to wait.  I had errands to run.

64 Impala, black, from what i could see of it, it looked pretty clean.

late 64 bug.  darker blue (non factory color), empi 5 spoke wheels chrome lip with grey spokes.  roof rack.  quiet pack muffler.  looked pretty good from where i was sitting.  it was in the same parking lot as the Impala.  2 spots over.

red 66 Mustang.  red, black interior, cragar wheels.  also really clean looking.

and last but not least, not sure of the year, 21 window VW bus shell shell on a trailer.  looked like it had just been painted.  white over gray. 

and yesterday morning i saw a red 65 Chevelle.

so it's been a good car spotting week.  i need to go back to running a dash cam, i could pull screen shots from the video.

Yesterday, on the way home from a doctor's visit, I saw a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger being trailered south by a brand new Ram 1500 Quad Cab pickup. The Dart was a very shiny black with a red tail stripe and vinyl top. Couldn't see the interior. That whole rig was travelling faster than I was!! Naturally, I never have my camera when I need it!

1346923818_vwvan.jpg.50a7dd1667acce72518baa9da11b8872.jpg

Here's my laugh of the day.  I always see interesting old vehicles coming and going up near the ancient mill on the road leading into my development.  You know the place...  the 56 Ford pickup,  Rolls Royce, Old flat black Cutlass and the Porsche with the tribal paint job...

This week they drag this one home.  I saw it as I was rushing home the other day and made note to go back and get a photo.  Then each time since I passed there I either had frozen or hot food,  it was raining or I was in a hurry.  So a few minutes ago I was checking my Facebook and what do I see?  The guy put it up for sale on Marketplace!   He wants $10,000 ! 🙄

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

1346923818_vwvan.jpg.50a7dd1667acce72518baa9da11b8872.jpg

Here's my laugh of the day.  I always see interesting old vehicles coming and going up near the ancient mill on the road leading into my development.  You know the place...  the 56 Ford pickup,  Rolls Royce, Old flat black Cutlass and the Porsche with the tribal paint job...

This week they drag this one home.  I saw it as I was rushing home the other day and made note to go back and get a photo.  Then each time since I passed there I either had frozen or hot food,  it was raining or I was in a hurry.  So a few minutes ago I was checking my Facebook and what do I see?  The guy put it up for sale on Marketplace!   He wants $10,000 ! 🙄

what the hell, you can pick up a rust free driver for 10k.  that suckers not even a westy.   unless it's 4wd it's got nothing going for it.

• Haha 1

As promised: I stopped by my neighbor's house and snapped this photo.  1952 Studebaker pickup with a flat head straight 6 cylinder engine.  Not a dent on it, even the bed is straight and pristine.  There's a tiny bit of rust bubble at the base of the left hand A pillar.  Spent its early life in the SF Bay Area but the past 40 years inside of a barn.  And his go-to quote: "I didn't need another project but this was a rescue."  It was on the jack because he needed to free up a seized brake.

e04mGpd.jpg

Edited by The Junkman
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, misterNNL said:

A few posts back I commented on some modified pick ups I saw cruising at Myrtle Beach with lowered rears and lifted front suspensions. I now know these are known as "Carolina Squats" or "Tennessee Tilts" .Rather than start an unnecessary series of pros and cons concerning these personal choice decisions I will only suggest that you Google either term and make your own decision. ASs always this is only for information so please keep it civil and reserve your decision until right after you log off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carscoops.com/2021/09/the-carolina-squat-has-been-officially-banned-in-north-carolina/amp/

Hmmm. Government overreach or common sense?

1 hour ago, Perspective Customs said:

Hmmm. Government overreach or common sense?

Common sense: In California the maximum height for a headlamp is 54 inches.  Just the illustrations show those headlamps to be over 60 inches.  And there is no allowable adjustment mechanism for headlamps being that high especially mounted at an angle because who the hell would do such a thing?  They would be over height and impossible to bring the light cone to a usable level.  That is IF you could see anything in front of your truck, what with the obstructed view due to the hood angle.  Besides, it looks really stupid.

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 2

I just learned what Carolina Squats were from my son last week. Never heard of it until then. Always something new coming up with guys and their cars.

Of course in my day you had the back all hiked up. I had Hi-Jackers for that. Still think a good rake on a car looks good.

15 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Common sense: In California the maximum height for a headlamp is 54 inches.  

And the minimum is (or was) 24". Pat Ganahl had a drastically lowered Cal Look Bug that got cited. Rather than raise the front end, he added 32 Ford headlights on bumper bracket mounts at the approved height. I'm not sure how well it went over, and what he did long term, but in the Hot VW's article I read it was deemed legal by the CHP.

Mine were at 25" so I was good to go. 

8 hours ago, TonyK said:

I just learned what Carolina Squats were from my son last week. Never heard of it until then. Always something new coming up with guys and their cars.

Of course in my day you had the back all hiked up. I had Hi-Jackers for that. Still think a good rake on a car looks good.

I used the Highjackers back in the 70's. The police around Nashville would often pull a driver over, and measure the back bumper height from the pavement. If it was too high, a ticket was issued. I always kept mine in the legal range. Couldn't afford the tickets!

5 hours ago, Draggon said:

And the minimum is (or was) 24". Pat Ganahl had a drastically lowered Cal Look Bug that got cited. Rather than raise the front end, he added 32 Ford headlights on bumper bracket mounts at the approved height. I'm not sure how well it went over, and what he did long term, but in the Hot VW's article I read it was deemed legal by the CHP.

Mine were at 25" so I was good to go. 

There is one legal exemption, written into the Calif Vehicle Code.  The deTomaso Mangusta.  Now THERE'S an underserved car.  Even a resin kit is lacking.  My latent 15 year old self just got reactivated.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

The deTomaso Mangusta.  Now THERE'S an underserved car.  Even a resin kit is lacking.  My latent 15 year old self just got reactivated.

What's wrong with that car?  It think it looks pretty sharp.    I even had a tethered remote control model of it when I was a kid.

Just now, The Junkman said:

Absolutely nothing wrong, under served meaning I've never seen a kit of one, even diecast.  Its one of the few cars that I think the rear end is as appealing as the front.  Edit: the CA Vehicle Code now allows headlamps as low as 22 inches above the roadway.  Low rider lobbying efforts?