Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many model A Ford kits are there ?

Just found this thread and as the owner of a full sized 29 roadster I do like my Model A kits. I think I have all of them except for the roadster, coupe and pickup version of the Hubleys.

One I ahhavent seen mentioned here is the renwal 1/48 29 Roadster kit. Can't access the box just now but it is pretty cool and included an opening rumble seat and chrome parts. The grill was a bit awkward but otherwise it is a pretty cool kit.

Also Jordan ( I think) recently did a 1/87 Model A hiboy with a flathead V8 (from another grooping). A cool little kit and obviously they put AMT parts in the shrinkerator like they did with the 1/87 29 Tudor shown above.

Someone asked about build quality of the MPC/AMT 29 Woody and the 29 Tudor. I can say they both go together very nicely and the opening doors on the Tudor are probably the best executed of any early car ever.

For my Aussie mate with the 30 Delivery (Cherry Pie) you are in for challenging times! One cheat I managed was to file a square notch across the width of the windscreen header panel/sunvisor. This will let the cowl stand up as it should and let you get the doors somewhere near the openings. Notice I only said " near"! If the body is warped at all, give up now and save yourself years of grief!

Yep, jbwelda, I remember those huge stickers on the back, especially in my home state of Western Australia. They've been gone for ten years or more now, but they don't call us the nanny state for nothing! Stupid thing was, no matter which side of the car the driver is on, what can a driver BEHIND him do about it anyway. Why did he need to be cautious? And yes, I convert almost all of my dashboards, but sometimes I wish I didn't.

Thanks, Greg and others, for the great box art shots. Does anyone have a photo of the "A" venger, another variation of the AMT roadster?

Cheers

Alan

Post #13 :o

Ahhh...I'm sorry I must be blind. I saw your post but did not make the connection that these was the same kits that I posted :mellow:

On another note, is it the same as with the 32 Fords that there is no 1:25 kit aviable that can be built totally stock?

Thanks for the photo of the Avemger, Greg. Probably the best photographic box art that the roadster ever got. Is it just me or does it look like it has a dropped headlight bar? I've never seen one in this kit but maybe the box art builder tweaked it a little.

I managed to find a photo of my Renwal kit. Front bumper fell off at some stage but otherwise this is how it builds up out of the box.

Cheers

Alan

Whoops, missed the Attach button. Here's the Renwal 1/48 29 roadster. I also found the Aurora 1930 woody wagon and then remembered that Aurora also did a 29 Model a fire truck surf wagon. These are both in 1/32 but I don't have any photos of the 29.

Cheers

Alan

post-465-0-33113900-1424461526_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-26545600-1424461556_thumb.jpg

Edited by alan barton

And then I remembered that Aurora also did a 29 Model A roadster pickup called Beatnik Box and a 31 closed cab pickup called Wolf Wagon. Proportions were very good and like a lot of Aurora's 1/32 series, they were based on real rods. If you go through enough 1962-63 Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines, you will find them to be very accurate replicas aside from wheels and the fact that every Aurora had a 409 powerplant.

Hope this helps the reference files!

Cheers

Alanpost-465-0-82028300-1424461964_thumb.jpgpost-465-0-82028300-1424461964_thumb.jpgpost-465-0-05257900-1424462001_thumb.jpgpost-465-0-22926600-1424462020_thumb.jpg

what I would like to see is an analysis of those never ending just a little bit different from last time or maybe not even reissues that probably make up 90% of the majors offering. sort of a family tree of the model a from say AMT Revell Lindberg and that would probably be that. it would probably also boil down 100 "offerings" into 5 or so basic tools with little extras here and there and maybe a non-reversable tool change midstream or two.

jb

This website is onto the right idea. For U.S. car kits it is kind of incomplete still though but it is a good start.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/158731-revell-85-2085-1929-ford-pickup-street-rod

• 1 month later...

...also found the Aurora 1930 woody wagon....

Aha, the Aurora "Woodin Wagon". As a result of surfing through the current ebay "built" listings today, I ran across one of those (photo below), but had no idea who made the kit. After a bit of searching here, I landed at Alan's post above, and from there I did a brief Google image search of "aurora" and "1/32", and straight away I found a French vintage rodder site and one particular guy's photo thread post of his built Woodin Wagon along with the instruction sheet and box.

But from my perspective of this parts-missing glue bomb, the thing would lend itself to a deep-dish off road wheel 4x4 woody wagon, if I was to jack up the back end a bit and pop in a transfer case and front differential .....

gallery_12144_1240_17735.jpg