Model Cars Magazine Forum

69' Chevy Nova Build.

Byron5150

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted here and I've built a few models since then. I figured I'd start posting again to help people, as well as get comments/ advice for my own self as a model hobbyist.
Feel free to ask any questions.

So let's begin.

Here's the kit

post-10664-0-66056200-1404858419.jpg

Parts look good so far, but I haven't done much too them yet, although I prepared the body. Which did have some flash on the trunk fenders and wheel wells. But overall looks like a good kit.

So I cleaned that up and wet sanded the body and the hood using #1000 grit. After that I scribed the panel lines and applied a black wash to the panel lines.

Here's progress so far, I will be priming hopefully by tomorrow.

post-10664-0-85986500-1404858625_thumb.jpost-10664-0-39902700-1404858637_thumb.jpost-10664-0-83151000-1404858650_thumb.jpost-10664-0-02294100-1404858661_thumb.j

Cheers,
P.S. First time using this quick pic attachment, plus I'm using my iphone. Hopefully they turned out well if not I'll repost them.

Edited by Byron5150

Well, you've succeeded in helping me already! I never thought to wash the panel lines prior to painting, what an excellent and simple idea. It makes sense and I'm sure it'll make a difference in my paint jobs. Thanks! I'll keep an eye on your tips!

Well, you've succeeded in helping me already! I never thought to wash the panel lines prior to painting, what an excellent and simple idea. It makes sense and I'm sure it'll make a difference in my paint jobs. Thanks! I'll keep an eye on your tips!

Thats great to hear! I used to the wash for the panel lines after, but it never looked as good. So now I do it before so it sort of naturally comes through the paint job.

And again its good to hear I've helped someone already, so any time!!

I like Chevy Nova's so i'll be watching this build for sure !

It's not my favorite car but they are sweet for sure!! (My favorite is a 67' Camaro)

Ill look forward to making this a great build for my self and all of you here watching.

Edited by Byron5150

Partially Primed & Problems

Well I laid the first coat of primer using Tamiya's grey surface primer. And the paint ran out, naturally I tried using all that I could get out of my moneys worth (lol) causing some paint drops on the roof of the car as well as some un even spray. Oh yea and a thumb print after dropping it.

Things happen but we gotta stay patient, so I wet sanded with #1000 grit, mostly fixating on the major parts first and then lightly throughout the rest of the car, then I followed that up with #2000 Grit. Then of course a re wash with soap and water.

Car looks great and is smoother than ever, which I always say, "the smoother it is, the better your paint job will be" And that goes with anything.

So Ill be picking up some Krylon Plastic white primer here in a bit and finish the car up for its primer stage.

Here's a pic after fixing. (I moved some lighting in my booth to help with yellow light tint & added a filter to the pic, to help fully see detail and process. But hey all great pics these days are edited haha. For future pics I'll turn off the background light)

post-10664-0-20037500-1404922260_thumb.jpost-10664-0-47766900-1404922271_thumb.jpost-10664-0-59458800-1404922280_thumb.j

P.s. I won't give away the body color yet, however I used grey because thats all I have. But I will say by using white primer it will enhance the color better, than if I was using grey...

Cheers,

Edited by Byron5150

I always loved the 69 novas. I had a couple of them back in the late 70's. Opps am I telling my age? lol. I plan to follow your build and cant wait to see how it comes along. Great start.

HAHA Yea there pretty sweet thats for sure! My dad had a few back then too. I myself can't wait but Im taking things slow at least for the body work :lol:

Nice work so far..I always wondered why the blacked out panel lines? They aren't blacked out on real cars so why models..I know with mine I sand over the lines after I've rescribed them..Then I sand with a sanding stick to take away the raised areas around the lines that are there from the molds..Never have paint pull from the lines and have a very smooth sides....

Nice work so far..I always wondered why the blacked out panel lines? They aren't blacked out on real cars so why models..I know with mine I sand over the lines after I've rescribed them..Then I sand with a sanding stick to take away the raised areas around the lines that are there from the molds..Never have paint pull from the lines and have a very smooth sides....

Thanks. Well a lot people try to replicate the shaddow effect between the panels and doors. Some even use a slight color/black wash depending on the color of your model. With this way the black wash & panel lines are very apparent in the prep and prime stage. But as the color lays down it naturally gets less apparent but you can still see that there widen a bit and parts of the black wash help make that more apparent. So this helps when you view the model at different angles the panel lines look different and the shaddows of them change just like real cars.

I just like the way they turn out when you scribe the lines and then black wash them before the paint.

Here's my mazda 626 98' obviously it's black but so are the panel lines, but these are black because that's what paint it is. With a light blue car the panel lines would be blue but from the same perspective point that I took this car picture they would appear as a blackish color/shadowing. This is just my opinion and out take from it.

post-10664-0-22049300-1405009917_thumb.j

Cheers,

Edited by Byron5150

NJJeff,

That is a sweet color and car. I always could do black.

What colors would you guys like to see or want?

I was going to go with the green that's on the box. I still may go with it, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

Cheers,

Edited by Byron5150

Green looks good so far but I'm having some orange peel so I may strip it and prime with tamiya primer. But will see if I can fix it first, I need one more wet coat. So if I can fix the peel and what not I'll spray over it again with the green, if not I will be stripping it. It may have reacted to the krylon primer.

Touched the hood cuz I thought it was dry, now I have yet another thumb print :/