Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Modified Stockers

On these MS kits. Does anybody have pics of the Chrome trees for the 65 Fairlane, the '69 Falcon and the '66 Olds?

I'd really like to see what they look like.  I am fascinated with these kits, and acquire them when the budget allows.  I wish round2 would do even a short run of these.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I've got two of those: one MIB, one builder.  I didn't know about it back in the day, learned of it when I found the builder some years ago.  AMT got their use out of that Falcon tool...

This one is started, and it's possible it remains the only Falcon funny car kit I've seen in person. Finally got a '69 annual a couple weeks ago...it's lightly started, but I have been looking for a reasonably priced one for years. Now need to make time to compare the annual to this funny car.... 

1 hour ago, afx said:

No, that sheet is for the '67 Falcon annual. Same basic kit, but there are part and detail differences.

3 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

No, that sheet is for the '67 Falcon annual. Same basic kit, but there are part and detail differences.

Here's the '69 annual built with the "gasser" or "funny car" parts. Is this about the same thing as the '69 Funny Car kit? 

69Falcon1.JPG.1f77af3ad0b379f742a1128cc7da68d2.JPG

69Falcon2.JPG.40fde535c8dad9389ba36e96ed3c68ba.JPG

5 hours ago, afx said:

Not the exact same kit, but you could build the funny car off of those instructions.  You wouldn't have all of the parts though.

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Here's the '69 annual built with the "gasser" or "funny car" parts. Is this about the same thing as the '69 Funny Car kit? 

69Falcon1.JPG.1f77af3ad0b379f742a1128cc7da68d2.JPG

69Falcon2.JPG.40fde535c8dad9389ba36e96ed3c68ba.JPG

The funny car is pretty much the annual's drag version.  The body was altered with radiused/flared rear wheel openings, and the funny car chassis had the molded-in exhaust detail removed.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:09 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

VERY cool! What kit supplied the wheels/tires?

The wheels and tires are from a Monogram Nascar kit. The supplied tires were just too large for me

On 3/14/2018 at 12:21 AM, Sledsel said:

I hope to see them return..... I have a few, and this is the only finished one

MVC-780F.jpg

Edited by Sledsel

Note that 6 (!) new builds of Modified Stockers have been posted in the Under Glass section. All are Brilliant Builds, and the various builders have done outstanding work on them. Inspiration for some clean builds. I really wish Round2 would pop some more of these out. They are just SO much fun.

I originally had all of them (originals) and sold them when the prices were high to help offset medical bills.

Started gathering them up again and had most but then sold the 64 Galaxie, Torino, 66 Chevy and 65 Chevelle again to pay a doctor bill.

I only have the Olds left to build after building the Falcon, Fairlane and Buick.

I do hope the rerelease them again!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, alexis said:

I scored the Buick and the Olds. Still hunting the 65 Fairlane, the 65 Chevelle and the 66 Chevy.  I'll get them, it just takes patience.

There's a guy who has a bunch of these at the monthly local toy show I go to. Not sure which ones he has at any given moment, but I bought a Chevy from him a few months ago. I think he asks somewhere in the $30-40 range for them. 

Back when I was building a lot of NASCAR kits I bought several of these Modified Stocker kits. I never got the Falcon that I can recall but I still have the '65 Oldsmobile, '65 Chevelle, '66 Impala, and the '70's Monte Carlo. I think I'll have to revisit these in the near future. 

2 hours ago, Drag Monster said:

These kits were a great concept but the fit on the parts were the worst. It's a real challenge to produce a decent looking finished product. I thought this would be a quick out of the box build, was I wrong. I must have used a half of tube of epoxy to hold this one together.

These were late bankruptcy era kits.....were they were doing anything on the cheap to stay alive. As you show....with work they turn out OK