Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Modified Stockers

IMG 1142

I started this Valiant stocker with intent of just using all of the Falcon stocker kit with the Valiant body.  Once I saw how simplified the Falcon kit was, I kinda went my own way and used a different chassis etc.  In the end I believe I only used the wheels and modified the Falcon's roll cage to fit. I wound up using two of them to get what I needed!

The Modified Stockers were low budget kits, and have one piece chassis and the interior builds up right on the chassis.  Think the detail level they could get away with selling to teen age boys back in the day.   I have collected all the reissues, and still plan on building a Falcon as a companion piece for my Valiant.  I have a color and decal plan in mind! 

On 7/10/2014 at 10:01 PM, Dave Van said:

If AMT thought there was money in the kits.....they could be restored back at any time. The GTO was, the 69 Torino was. The Falcon is the only one I'd put any money into. It MIGHT get a return on investment if the stock stuff is floating around in the mold. The rest would not turn a profit.....and had they not been modified and given new life would have been scrapped by now anyways.

The '64Ford was returned to annual standards and reissued unless my feeble brain has been taking in to many paint fumes again.

6 hours ago, horsepower said:

The '64Ford was returned to annual standards and reissued unless my feeble brain has been taking in to many paint fumes again.

There were two '64 Galaxies: one promotional model and one kit.  The ex-promo is still stock, the kit was converted to the Modified Stocker and has remained that way.

48 minutes ago, Mark said:

There were two '64 Galaxies: one promotional model and one kit.  The ex-promo is still stock, the kit was converted to the Modified Stocker and has remained that way.

IIRC you are correct. I worked on the Model King 64 Ford and seemed to recall there were two tools and the modified is still intact....MK reissued both......if my mind is working right. 

Both are still intact, though I heard somewhere that the stock one is getting a bit rough.  The Modified Stocker once had the exhaust detail wiped from its chassis, but the reissue has molded-in stock exhaust detail again.  That chassis appears to be shared with the '63 kit.

Has anyone ever built an older GN car using one of the Modified Stocker kits but utilizing a stock body ? A wheel and tire change would also be in order. I've been planning (years) to do a GN '69 Torino and a GN '64 FORD Galaxie using the method above. I'm a very slow builder so it could very well take some time...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

I wonder if the front and rear bumpers from this Modified Stocker Chevelle would also be a clean replacement for the Revell's Z-16 bumpers with the ugly bumper guards mounted to them?

If you have an El Camino or wagon kit, try those bumpers before buying another kit.  All three kits (wagon, El Camino, and hardtop) are different tooling but the bumpers interchange.  The Modified Stocker grille has engraved headlight covers that the other two do not have.

A sort of Mini review of the Two Chevy Kits

I was finally able to lay my hands on the '65 Chevell & '66 Impala Mod Stock Kits. What follows are my impressions of Both Kits.

'66 Impala. Nice Body. Tiny Chrome Tree. No chrome wheels like some of the others have, just the 6 Lug, reinforced Deep Steel Rims that are some of these kits. 454 Big Block with stock or custom valve covers carried over from the original kit. Unlike some other kits in this series, there is nothing left from the original kit, other than those covers. No stray pieces that were left on the trees. Everything in this box will be on the car, when you complete the build.  It has the cowl intake, NASCAR/Z-11 style Air Cleaner. Decent Roll Cage. Decent Seat. Overall a workman like kit, like almost all the others in this series.

'65 Chevell. Again, Nice Body. Has a hole in the hood for the Scoop. Scoop is in the kit. Looks very much like the scoop in the AMT '64 Impala kit. This kit reminds me a whole lot of the '69 Falcon Kit. The Roll Cages are almost twins, the chassis have a similar 'skeletal' look, and the interiors have much in common. These two kits have almost nothing in common with the others, from a design stand-point, that I can see. They both share the same open element "FLY-EYE" air cleaner too. Also powered with a 454 Big Block, this engine just looks softer and 'blobbier' than the one the '66. Not sure why. This kit also has very nice 4-window mags. Not Chromed. The wheel mounting system is also Identical to the Falcon, sharing the same three part, Finned Brake Drums and deep wheel backs.  Like the other Chevy, this also suffers from "Tiny Chrome" Syndrome, and a lack of Extra parts. Again, everything in the box, will wind up being used on the finished model.

I've never seen the original '65 kit, that this version was based on. I've seen the directions for many of the others kits that were converted, and have a bit of a feel, for what was lost, when the were modified into these kits. These two Chevies & the Falcon, are the most 'stripped down' of all the kits I've seen in this series. I know that some folks would very much like to see some of these kits restored back to the 1960's original configurations.  Based on Box contents alone, these three, are completely lost causes. It would be cheaper to start fresh than to try to resurrect these kits, IMHO. The '64 Galaxie on the other hand has an almost complete Chrome Tree, and many parts that might allow it to be brought back to life. In general, the GM kits are lost, but some of the Fords might be salvaged.

I now own all of this series but the GTO, and with the price of them, I'll probably never have one. But based on the others, it is most likely the same as the Buick and Olds kits.

Lastly, Round2, Please, Please, put One Piece Tires in the New Re-boxing of the Chevell??? Those Two Piece steamroller tires are the biggest PITA of these kits.

Edited by alexis

1 hour ago, alexis said:

'65 Chevell. Again, Nice Body. Has a hole in the hood for the Scoop. Scoop is in the kit. Looks very much like the scoop in the AMT '64 Impala kit. This kit reminds me a whole lot of the '69 Falcon Kit. The Roll Cages are almost twins, the chassis have a similar 'skeletal' look, and the interiors have much in common. These two kits have almost nothing in common with the others, from a design stand-point, that I can see. They both share the same open element "FLY-EYE" air cleaner too. Also powered with a 454 Big Block, this engine just looks softer and 'blobbier' than the one the '66. Not sure why. This kit also has very nice 4-window mags. Not Chromed. The wheel mounting system is also Identical to the Falcon, sharing the same three part, Finned Brake Drums and deep wheel backs.  Like the other Chevy, this also suffers from "Tiny Chrome" Syndrome, and a lack of Extra parts. Again, everything in the box, will wind up being used on the finished model.

You forgot to mention that all the chrome and emblems are off the body, and the stock rear panel is replaced by an interesting (molded in) grid or mesh pattern that I think would look great for a mid-'60s custom. In fact I managed to acquire a bare body shell from this kit some years ago and I've been planning ever since to build a custom out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Any chance that any of the others will come back? I'd like to get the 64 Galaxie, and 65 Fairlane(never had those).

I would say there's a good chance, especially if the '65 Chevelle and '66 Impala sell out. The '66 Buick, '64 Galaxie, '69 Falcon, and '65 Olds appear to have been reissued twice-- first by Ertl in 1999, then again by RC2 in 2006.

Nice pic of the '64 Ford Galaxie Mod Stocker kit's parts and decal sheet:

AMT64FordModStocker.thumb.jpg.9af23b2562612ce45f0f9576a4689035.jpg

AMT64GalaxieModStockDecals.jpg.9c51f679eb85c21f14d06ad51e6e1f0f.jpg