Model Cars Magazine Forum

Many modeling/build firsts for me: What are your recent firsts?

I had been away from modeling building for 25+ years, and recently returned a few years ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of time to build, nor the space to build, but I've missed this hobby very much. Today, we entered a Mincrapft Model A truck as my daughter's entry into the local 4-H fair.

I enjoyed this build, and at the same time, wanted to pull my hair out with this model.

I experienced many modeling firsts, at least for me. If anyone understands, it might be you builders...

1. First use of a pin vise in a build. How did I ever live without that tool??

2. First time of drilling out an exhaust pipe.

3. First use of Tamiya spray paints. (Tiny can, BIG price!!!)

4. First use of Tamiya bottle acrylics in over 26 years. I wish that Testors had a similar product line.

5. First use of sanding the primer coat with 1,000 grit paper.

6. First use of using a non-model plastic to fix a problem. I used slices of a Bic pen barrel as a spacer for a wheel issue.

7. First major use of CA glues on a model. I probably glued 90%+ of the model together with super glue.

8. Created a new faux rust finish using a brush and bottled paints. It looks awesome!! Dr. Cranky would be proud!!!

9. First use of pigments on a model. Lots to learn about using pigments, but this stuff is cool!

10. First very successful use of Scotch tape to mask off paint lines. (A tip that I got here.)

11. First use of multi-colors with pin washes.

12. First time ever painting shadow lines on a car seat...and it looked great!!

13. First time making realistic duct tape for the model's seat.

14. The Minicrapft kit was full of warped parts. First time using hot water to try to bend warped parts back to normal.

I'm sure there are more 'firsts' for me. I know that most of these things are either old hat or juvenile to many of the outstanding builders on this forum.

I also want to thank everyone on the forum for their help. I am a better builder because of you all!! A majority of my 'firsts' list was learned on the MCM forum.

Anyone have some 'firsts' that you want to share?

You've got a lot of firsts I haven't "firsted" yet. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I definitely agree that this is a great place to get ideas and info to make those firsts possible! Did you post some pics of that Model A? Let's see that thang.

Edited by Kit Basher

I tried the technique of blacking in the panel lines before shooting color on my recent mazda cosmo. turned out pretty nice and the overall effect was achieved though the (white) body color paint did obscure the panel lines a bit more than I thought it would. made it perhaps a bit too subtle but overall I like it more than the overpowering effect of black on white. if the body had been anything much darker though, I think the effect might have been totally lost.

0t1j.jpg

jb

Over the past year or so I've been working to build better shiny models. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone of the dirty / rusty models I so love and enjoy building. The last few models I'm building have been experiments with Tamiya gloss spray (the Chevette), Testors Wet Look laquers (Dodge A100 pickup) and clear coats over them. These have been very simple builds as I've been concentrating on my finishing techniques, and yea, I'm making mistakes!

I've been learning to make more decals on my computer / printer.

I've been learning how to create headliners and shoulder belts in late model vehicles.

I've also been concentrating on learning to scratch build more, as I've completely scratch built the interiors in my two campers.

I have been trying different things for affixing glass into models. I've been using that clear craft tape. Just this week I bought some two part epoxy.

If you aren't trying new things in your builds, you are stagnant!

First time using BMF successfully

First time getting a shiny and smooth paint job

First time using a decal setting agent

First time modifying a car and not ruining it (haha)

Probably a lot more I'm forgetting...

Edited by DynoMight

Thank you for the replies so far!!!

I thought of two more 'firsts' that I experienced on my last build:

15. First time ever using Testors Dull Coat.

16. First time ever using Testors Glosscote, out of an 80's era vintage bottle that I found in a thrift shop, but thought that I would never use.

My firsts include, Listening to others on this forum and trying their ideas, instead of doing it my own way. Some I have learned made life easier.

Watching youtube videos of others in the modeling community. Dr. Cranky and Chapman have taught me a lot. As well have others...

Thanks for my firsts and hopefully not my lasts for a longtime to come

Edited by vypurr59

My most recent "first" was finally using that bottle of Alclad I had forever. I was in a jam and needed a chrome trim piece for a customers dashboard at work. Broke out the needed material and was blown away by the results. Alclad is a game changer.

And in all fairness, most of everything I've tried for the first time was instigated by someone from here. Especially all you guys scratch-building with brass. Thank you!

Here's something important...

When I was a kid I built models. Like most of us, not very well. I was depending on my own skills and imagination to figure out how to build with minimal supplies and guidance. When I was in my 20s I decided to build models again. I pulled out a kit and my results were the same as when I was a kid. Why? Because as careful as I was, I was still employing the skill level and techniques that I used as a kid. Not very encouraging and I put the models away, discouraged.

Then 26 years ago I stumbled upon Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine in a book store. I was super pleased that there was a model car magazine, and floored by the builds shown inside. My very first issue was their first all aftermarket issue and I was amazed at all the things available to modelers at that time! In the back of this magazine was a small classifed ad for the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club. I sent in my SASE for information, and got back a three page typed letter (note that we didn't have PCs just yet). The letter said I should come to their show in a few weeks, which turned out to be NNL East 3. There was that bucket list item from my childhood... "attend a model car show". So I went and there was no turning back.

The big change in my modeling came when I suddenly had skilled peers. Before this I thought the perfect models I saw in the magazines and at the show were the work of artistic geniuses and i'd never be able to do it. My new mentors taught me that it was all learning proper techniques and using the right tools. Easy stuff that made you slap your forehead. Things that are perfectly in our skill wheel house but we just hadn't thought of them on our own. Now I had all this experience to guide me and my modeling skills grew amazingly in that very first year. I suddenly was building better models than I ever could've dreamed.

Back then I had to rely on a monthly meeting, and maybe a phone call or two during the month to hone my new skills. The big advantage today is that we have these amazing Internet boards, and everyone has a cell phone camera at least, so that we can communicate, read about new techniques, and ask questions 24/7 to our heart's content. It's very ironic that we were so worried that the Internet would destroy the hobby, but it's improved it greatly.

So today guys who wish to improve their skills have great ways to learn and make every model better. The lists of "firsts" in this thread are evident that we're all working towards that, and a lot of the things we are learning aren't all that difficult to master. We just need to be aware of them, and have some instruction from a peer who has already learned that technique or skill!

There are those who are happy plodding along with their sixth grade skills. Maybe the hobby isn't all that important to them. Or they are afraid of trying new things and maybe failing. I can't crawl inside their heads, but they are robbing themselves of the satisfaction of personal growth, and the excitement of seeing better models materialize in front of their eyes.

Very good assessment Tom! When ever someone is willing to explain, I will ALWAYS stop & listen. I had the please of having a 1 on 1 machining lesson with the legendary Augie Hiscano at the Toledo NNL in the 90's, I've had personal lessons with Rich Manson, Tony DelVecchio, Lyle Willets, and Bill Geary to name a few. Then there's John Teresi, Bill Davis, Randy Derr, and many others here whom are displaying cutting edge skills, and there's people figuring out simple solutions and sharing them. I myself will continue to advance when I can. Unfortunately I take off from model building during the summer months….. but I still watch & learn. I have a list of topics I'll re-visit when I decide to get in front of the work bench again in that tiny little room. But I'm still checking in when I can.

SASE… I haven't seen THAT in ages! :lol:

SASE… I haven't seen THAT in ages! :lol:

Ya know, you are right! There's probably younger folks who do even know what it stood for!

I was thinking how strange it is to get personal mail these days. Sure you get invitations, cards and bills and eBay purchases, but it's odd to get a letter in the mail. I received one recently, from a modeler who doesn't do the Internet or email. There it was, hand addressed envelope and a note on loose leaf paper, hand written. We had gone back and forth, but several weeks between communications. I hadn't thought about the loss of mail in a long time, but you know what? I'll take email anyday!