Model Cars Magazine Forum

FERRARI F430 - from a toy to replica

mrm

So I picked up this old beat up Ferrari from Hotwheels and decided to make it do justice to the real car.

The first thing I addressed was the interior. It was molded in some sort of ugly grey and everything was awfully glued together. It took quite a bit of muscle to pray it all apart.

i1tdq.jpg

Interior was washed, painted and then flocked. Details were added and wrapped in BMF.

spqs.jpg

jigeu.jpg

Seats were some sort of gooey rubber in ugly two tone grey. I decided to also turn them into Daytona style seats. So 72 strips of styrene were measured, cut and their edges were rounded. Then they got arranged on top of the seat centers.

oam4.jpg

acrh.jpg

Then I drilled 92 holes into the strips.

p58d.jpg

jgmgc.jpg

Now I will have to clean them up a little and make beautiful molds from them, so I can reproduce them in resin. The main reason for this is that this rubber material is impossible to paint properly.

Edited by mrm

Thank you guys.

Not going crazy with this one. Just making it look like a nice looking display model.

This is what the engine molding looked like

v7eer.jpg

And this is after just some paint and ignition wires.

ci7t.jpg

Thank you guys.

The body was stripped, primed and painted PPG Giallo Modena, with two part clear.

Right after the clear was wet sanded.

fcro.jpg

Then everything got polished to a wet shine.

32jsa.jpg

Other than the "before" pictures I am showing, no. I never took a picture of the model before I disassebled it. It is metal, but the front and rear bumpers were all plastic with horrible mold lines under a crappy paint job. I replaced them with metal ones from another model, corrected all the rough spots on the body and repainted it. I wrote "from a toy to a replica" as I am doing this as a replica of a friend's car.

Thanks guys.

Here are the door panels as they came on the model. Everything in the interior was in that ugly gray plastic. also the steering wheel cluster was a little modified. The paddles were thinned and slightly reshaped.

5c1836.jpg

The headliner got a little destroyed, because it was riveted to the roof, so I had to rebuilt it in the middle.

edb555.jpg

Here is what the dash looked like just after been painted black

947e66.jpg

The dash after receiving its carbon fiber trim.

015cb8.jpg

The interior all done.

6dc706.jpg

Edited by mrm