Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chezoom Corvair Funny Car

• 2 months later...

I see AMT is reissuing their old Man From U.N.C.L.E./Piranha Spy Car kit in January. Another car power by Chevy Corvair motor. So in the next few months AMT will be releasing at least three kits I can count with Corvair power plants. And two with Corvair body's. It seems to be a a good time to be Corvair fan, like I am.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is common for the art department to create pictures to promote or produce box art, only to find out the final kit is different in some way or another.

When ERTL reissued the '65 GTO, the box cover showed dated bumpers from the annual kit. This is after it had been a modified stocker. Obviously the restored GTO was not available (or ERTL was trying to see if they could generate dealer orders) to photograph a real picture of the re-issued kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 4 kits arrived today - purchased off ebay on Sunday ! Looks to be vairy much the same as the original kit ( which I have never owned ). There is an added red tinted window part and printed goodyear slicks. Everything else including instructions, decals, and box match the original release. The front tires are 2 pc plastic and the plastic rear slicks are still present. Parts all look straight and flash free. Although not an accurate Corvair funny car it should be a fun build. Nice to finally have one - the only AMT corvair kit I didn't have.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody bite on this one? If you do, be prepared to alter the Barracuda chassis to fit the "vair...in a few words, it does not fit. Another case of "Didn't anyone try to build this before releasing it?" category. I am determined to get this thing built, but it will take a lot of work. Beginners better stay away from this one...99% of them will give up and use the parts somewhere else or be so disappointed that they give up building models!!! The concept is cool; the product suffers a bit, missing details like steering gear and brake detail, radius rods in front, and they could have included the little scoops that go on the deck lid holes...but as i said, I WILL get this built no matter what. It does have some very neat parts regardless of the chassis not fitting at all.

Edited by bonehead23

Stephen....yes the rear chassis pan needs to be trimmed (as noted in the instructions), but what they don't say is that it must be trimmed laterally along the back, but also additional triangular sections off the far rear corners of the pan....do that and the rest falls into place (reasonably well). TIM

Stephen....yes the rear chassis pan needs to be trimmed (as noted in the instructions), but what they don't say is that it must be trimmed laterally along the back, but also additional triangular sections off the far rear corners of the pan....do that and the rest falls into place (reasonably well). TIM

Yup, us old farts will figure it out! The instructions do show this mod, but not very clearly. I was thinking, it could have been possible to modify the mold to fit better...but I am ignorant of tool costs etc....and possibly Round 2 wamts to re-issue the Barracuda as well???? I'd buy two! I want to build a stock "Vair to pull the 'Zooom" on a trailer...so I am committed to finishing it now!

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, this is a good kit once you get the chassis trimmed properly, and the body's rear wheel wells opened up a bit. I have the chassis finished, and the body fits after alteration.You just have to have good "eyeball engineering" ability to get it right. If not for these re-issues, i would be bored to death!!!! Chezoom will be on a trailer pulled by a stock Corvair in identical paint.

From what I'm seeing the body does not tilt on this "funny car"??

No, it's not that kind. Its roots lie in the pre-flopper era of funny cars.

I suppose, if one wanted, it could be built tilt-body. This would probably involve cuts and alterations to the interior "tub."

Edited by Snake45