Model Cars Magazine Forum

Top fuel Hemi powered drag boat and trailer....WIP 8-13-14 (Body work progress)

I have begun building my boat that will be pulled behind my '57 Chevy Speedster AWD.

The boat hull was sourced from a child's toy I found...($10.99)....it was a plastic Scarab that was very close to 1/25 scale, it was motorized and would do circles when you turned the rudder on the rear. This of course held no significance to me whatsoever.......so I began gutting the boat out......pulled out the motor and wiring and removed the plastic that mounted the motor. I then sectioned out 1 inch off of the height of the hull and cut it down to 8 inches long. (the width of it was fine compared to the '57 thank goodness.) I had to build a new transom for it because of the shortening lengthwise but that wasn't too bad.

Ok, so here is the plan.....

-The powerplant and the prop drive (transfer case) for this build was donated to me by vintagedragcrazy (Vince) who has been a pivotal part of the early stages. BIG thank you to him!!

-The engine will include all the proper details of a Top Fuel engine including: fuel lines and hoses, wiring up BOTH magnetos, and a host of other details.

-I plan on doing a WILD paintscheme on it like most dragboats you would see.

-The trailer will be a scratchbuilt twin axle on custom wheels and tires.

Pics will be later when I get home.....I am not that far along though so bear with me. This is for my NNL build for this coming year so I have plenty of time.

Edited by Kennyboy

hey kenny i'm watching and like what i see take care and let me know if you need any more help.

vince

Thanks buddy for all the help!

Got the blower painted and mounted, painted the fuel manifold, and scratchbuilt some new lines for the oilpump.

Here are some pics of today's progress. More to come soon!

P1030056_zps3088b753.jpg

P1030057_zps7c5325a6.jpg

P1030058_zps92f45a90.jpg

P1030059_zps4e1a0ede.jpg

P1030061_zps88f8e862.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy

Thanks guys!

Got a little more done last night.......the belt was annoying to get right but thank goodness it dried in place!

Next I think I am going to tackle the red/black plug wires and wire up those magnetos! (This could take a little time...so bear with me.)

After that, I am going to do the injection lines beneath the blower hat and behind the blower. THANKS FOR FOLLOWING!!

P1030062_zpsc404f935.jpg

P1030064_zps5f1abce8.jpg

P1030063_zpsbc306471.jpg

P1030066_zps7535e272.jpg

P1030067_zpsb310ca17.jpg

P1030065_zps88e50eb4.jpg

Cool build.

Thank you Mike!

Ok, so it has been a while since I posted up any progress.......I am waiting on a few parts for the engine, so in the interim I decided to work on the trailer a little.

The trailer is scratchbuilt from Evergreen 1/4" channel. Happy with the fit of the boat at this time. Some leafsprings are on the way for the trailer (THANK YOU to Ruben!!!) The wheels for it are the wheels from the Shelby Series 1 (stripped the chrome and repainted satin silver.)

Hey here are a few pics!

P1030069_zpsa3b158b3.jpg

P1030073_zps76d2816d.jpg

P1030074_zps608f1634.jpg

P1030075_zps7354b62b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ken, do you have a side shot of the boat?

No unfortunately I overlooked a complete side shot. I only have the pics I put up on here for the time being.

I need to venture over to this side of the forum more often... This kicks some major butt! Nice!

Thanks James! I need to get back on it......stupid nice weather! :P