Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 '63 Corvette Stingray "SuperVette"

Just the same, I always find it interesting and annoying at the same time when a thread is about a model car and all the experts chime in deriding the whys and wherefores on the actual car.Then it's off to the races on one-upmanship who can out do who, and a rivet count thrown in for good measure. Did I say good? :o

Just the same, I always find it interesting and annoying at the same time when a thread is about a model car and all the experts chime in deriding the whys and wherefores on the actual car.Then it's off to the races on one-upmanship who can out do who, and a rivet count thrown in for good measure. Did I say good? :o

I think there are a lot of us who are interested in their models be fairly accurate compared to the real vehicle they represent. Now this can be taken too far. But, it's nice to have accurate information on what your building. What you do with that info is up to you.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Accurate being the key word here, and here, isn't where I would go for accurate. ;)

Really? That seems like a mean shot! I think there are a lot of good people trying to pass on accurate information on these blogs. Are they prefect and correct all of the time? No. But, they and myself are only human. We try our best. And I know I'm OK with people correcting me if mistakingly give out wrong information.

Scott

On second thought let's not go there. Let's get back to the '63 Corvette. In particular the 1/16th scale MPC kit. Which is a cool kit. Sorry to say, as this discussion has been going on, I've been trying to get one on eBay. The bidding has gone too high for for me. Hopefully Round 2 will consider reissuing the kit sometime in the near future.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Original kit was first issued in 1971 as a 3 in 1 kit, as MPC very first 1/16th scale car kit, then seperate gasser type (Shaker & Rod Shop) & Factory stock versions (red Super Vette you got & later silver one) boxed troughout the 70's, the kit was finally "Street Machine" treated in it's last boxing of the mid 80's.

Like many MPC kits of this era, a few assembly fitting problems here & there, but for experienced modeler can turn out very nice, still the only large scale plastic "split window" kit ever issued in the last 40+years.

Pretty sure Round2 will reissue it, lets hope in the very 1st edition version.

Original kit was first issued in 1971 as a 3 in 1 kit, as MPC very first 1/16th scale car kit, then seperate gasser type (Shaker & Rod Shop) & Factory stock versions (red Super Vette you got & later silver one) boxed troughout the 70's, the kit was finally "Street Machine" treated in it's last boxing of the mid 80's.

Like many MPC kits of this era, a few assembly fitting problems here & there, but for experienced modeler can turn out very nice, still the only large scale plastic "split window" kit ever issued in the last 40+years.

Pretty sure Round2 will reissue it, lets hope in the very 1st edition version.

I hope your right Paul. I just want one that can be built stock. Preferably molded in white plastic, to make it easier for me to pick and paint the colors I like.

Scott

• 8 months later...

We'll see if there's any other than from MPC. First up kinda toy like. Lots of operating features. 54a_large.JPG the next issue got a little more serious. A teaser? It's listed on the side panel of the reissue Buddy Baker 1973 Dodge Charger kit.MPC-3054-2.jpgMPC-3054-3.jpgMPC-3054-4.jpgAt this point MPC moved to a street version.

Edited by Greg Myers

• 7 months later...

One of my all time favorite kits. I do wish Round 2 would reissue this kit in way that it could be built as "showroom" stock '63 Vette.

Scott

Still wishing for this one to reappear. I keep looking at the ones on eBay. Just get the feeling that as soon I buy one, Round 2 will announce they're reissuing it. Please Round 2. Bring this back!

Not sure exactly what came before - would love to know the history of this tooling, actually - but the ones I grew up with were the "SuperVette" and then the reissue in silver.  Pretty sure the black one in the noisy '80s box was the last reissue.

Long-standing goal of mine has been to slap on some AMT vintage Firestone skinnies and do it up as close to NCRS as I could.  Main issue I see is that the A-pillars need those chrome fillets to give 'em that '63-only look.  I could live with the finned knock-off wheels.

• 2 months later...

Still wishing for this one to reappear. I keep looking at the ones on eBay. Just get the feeling that as soon I buy one, Round 2 will announce they're reissuing it. Please Round 2. Bring this back!

Feel a need to bring this thread back. I keep hoping somebody from Round 2 follows these threads. And consider reissuing this kit.

(You can tell it's a slow day day at work for me. I'm working a "Time To Think" room in an elementary school today. And so far it's been quite in here. That's a good thing. So you may see me pull on other old threads today, too.)

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I know some hate it when old threads are dredged up..... too bad. :P

I just got one of these from an estate sale, for $40, still wrapped.  All I wanted to know if it's a nice kit.  And I assume Round 2 has not re-popped it.

What version did you get? Since you brought it up.