Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Impala and '69 Galaxie

Bob Ellis

These are 2 cars in progress now. The '71 Impala body was a real mess. A victim of the MPC Mild and Wild kit options. it also had a slightly smashed down roof. Lots of Evergreen styrene and Round2 '76 Caprice pieces needed to finish it.

The '69 Galaxie has been sitting around for a couple of years. I never could keep the A posts from snapping, so I CA glued a brass wire to hold it together like I did for the '71 Impala.

Now these projects can move forward.

Bob....those are looking very promising.

Here are a couple of photos from the Goodguys Nats in Columbus a few days ago. Completely stock (icluding paint and upholstery, other than wheels and tires) and very, very sharp 'surviror" style '71 Impala Custom (formal roof) two door hardtop...

DSC_671-vi.jpg

DSC_0671-vi.jpg

Best of luck with your projects going forward....TIM

Thanks, and nice pics Tim. Apparently, big cars like that '71 Impala have become favorites for the Demolition Derbys, so we will be seeing less of them in the future.

I just realized, that with some Model Car Garage '76 Caprice etchings, I can convert the '71 Impala into a Caprice.

DSC_0671-vi.jpg

It seems the '71 and '72 are the hard to find models. I have a few '73s but only one '71 promo and just pieced together enough parts to build a '72 to complete my run of full size Chebbys.

This is a very familar nose to me, especially in this color. In 1972 my father brought home a '71 Belair 4 door sedan in that same light green. This car was purchased from Hertz, it had been a car that was leased to a local utility company. Pretty much a stripper, with manual windows and door locks. At least it had air! This was our family car for many years. My father liked cars, and fiddling with them. Nobody ever thought that this one had a big Holley 4 barrel, some interesting tuning and dual exhausts on it. It was fun to borrow it and nail someone off the light.

Yes Tom, the 71s and 72 seem hard to find. I wish I had a new '71 kit to start with.

My brother had a '72 BelAir for a company car. Had a 350, but it was really slow. The 72s versus 71s are totally different in the performance department.

2007_0910Spock0280.jpg

Nice build! A buddy-0-mine had a '73 that he found on a used car lot with 50,000 miles on it. It was really strange because it was dark blue, but had a bright green interior in it. Not a repaint, someone must've ordered this odd looking car. He was determined to repaint the car in a color that would compliment the interior.. maybe green, white or tan.. but as most cars he owned suffered cruel premature deaths, so did this one. He had a short attention span and found another car that caught his eye, so he bought that. He never had any ambition to actually sell his cast off cars to recoop any money, he'd just call a junk yard to pick them up or otherwise give them away. So he gave this one to his brother, who immediately pulled the drivetrain to put in a Camaro.

• 3 weeks later...