Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Road Runner Is Completed

mrmike

Thanks Glenn and Carl!

The Story

McNally spent a restless night thinking about the assassin Peter Danka and who his next victim could be. He gets up early and prepares for what could be a bad day by showering, shaving, and getting dressed. He opens his gun safe and pulls out three extra clips of .45 cal. ammo for his Smith & Wesson Model 4506 and his backup piece, a Walther PPKs .380 with an extra clip of ammo and his ankle holster. He prepares himself for being told where to go in a possible short amount of time with Danka trying to get the Boston PI frustrated and angry. At precisely 8:00 AM, Peter Danka calls, "You have and hour and twenty minutes to get to the gas station off the Mass. Pike at Exit 7. Get Moving," and he hangs up. This is normally an hour and half ride.

The Build

After doing some minor body work, I applied another light coat of paint and then a wet coat of paint to the body and the hood.

70RR34.jpg

70RR35.jpg

I made an extended transmission tunnel to cover the open gap between the interior bucket and the chassis.

70RR36.jpg

McNally will return...

An hour and twenty mintues to Exit 7 from Boston? In rush hour, even going sort of against the traffic? (still plenty thick inside 128 and back to 495, even going west.) What a nasty man this Danka is! I suppose, though, it would be a bit anti-climatic if the villain was a nice guy.

Great story, Mike. And very nice build. Will this be appearing next month?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys!

An hour and twenty mintues to Exit 7 from Boston? In rush hour, even going sort of against the traffic? (still plenty thick inside 128 and back to 495, even going west.) What a nasty man this Danka is! I suppose, though, it would be a bit anti-climatic if the villain was a nice guy.

Great story, Mike. And very nice build. Will this be appearing next month?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, where is it written that the villain is suppose to be nice? Even those types of villains have an agenda. BTW, the next chapter will supply you with the answer you seek. The chances of this Road Runner making it to the Classic Plastic Model Club Exposition on October 5th are quite good. I hope to see you there!

The Story

McNally calls State Police Captain Ferrow and asks him to call off the troopers on patrol on the Mass. Pike as he speeds toward Springfield to which the Captain agrees to. McNally makes it to the gas station off Exit 7 on the Mass. Pike just in time and Danka calls telling him to go to the Springfield City Hall within five minutes or someone will die, to which the Boston PI says, "NO!" Danka hangs up only to call back a minute later and tells McNally to get moving or else. McNally says that he will not run from stop to stop and will only meet Danka to end this charade once and for all. Danka finally agrees and tells McNally to meet him at the abandoned railroad yard a few miles away and to come alone with the money and the gun.

The Build

A day off from work found me in the hobby room working on the Road Runner. I foiled the body off and on during the day and finished it a short while ago.

70RR37.jpg

70RR38.jpg

70RR39.jpg

Time for a gloss coat and decals.

McNally will return...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Nice foil work Mike I to find that I need to take breaks with my foiling to.

Dan, I didn't need to take breaks, I had other things I needed do as the day went on.

The Story

McNally pulls onto the empty lot and sees a man holding a rifle aimed at him. He stops about 75 feet away from the man and slowly gets out of his Shelby GT500 with the box containing the Colt .45 and the money and places it on the ground on the passenger side of the car. Danka tells McNally to get rid of his gun, using two fingers he pulls the Smith & Wesson from his shoulder holster and throws the gun behind him. Danka then fires the rifle and the bullet hits McNally squarely in the chest and he falls backwards over the hood of the Shelby. Lying on the ground, he pushes himself through the pain in his chest and reaches for his ankle just as Danka rounds the front of the car and McNally pulls his Walther PPKs from the ankle holster and shoots Danka in the leg and then, in the shoulder releasing the rifle from his grip.

Danka falls onto the ground screaming in pain as McNally gets up slowly, picks up his Smith & Wesson and places it into his shoulder holster. McNally cuffs the assassin and with him watching, McNally unbuttons his shirt revealing a kevlar vest. He pulls his cellphone out and calls State Police Capt. Ferrow for assistance. Ferrow sends out several troopers and an ambulance and he arrives shortly thereafter. After the EMTs take care of Danka, they encourage McNally to get check out at the hospital, which the Boston PI agrees to.

The Build

Time to install the glass. I removed the front and rear windows from the runners and installed them separately.

70RR40.jpg

70RR41.jpg

After installing the glass, I permanently installed the interior.

70RR42.jpg

McNally will return...

Thanks guys!

The Story

After being told by the doctor that he had a fractured rib and to rest, McNally is discharged from the hospital and stops at the Mass. State Trooper barracks to give a statement to Capt. Ferrow. Capt. Ferrow is glad that McNally is ok and he apologizes for botching the first attempt at capturing Danka. McNally accepts the apology and leaves the barracks for the long painful trip back to Boston. After a few days of resting, McNally is getting restless and spends some time each day at Vic's Garage working on the Road Runner. The engine and trans has been pulled out of the car and the trans will be repaired be Vic's transmission expert and the cylinder heads will be sent out to have hardened valve seats installed.

The following Spring finds much has happened to McNally. Vic is too busy at the garage to help McNally anymore, Ruben Sinkowski quit his kindergarten teaching job for an assistant coaching job with the NFL, and Caitlyn Scotsen has left McNally and Boston for a job working for the US Attorney General's Office in Washington, DC. Tonight, he drives to a local Back Bay Burger restaurant for a burger and a car show. He parks the newly completed Road Runner in a spot between a '55 Chevy and a '32 Ford hot rod. He opens the hood and walks into the restaurant and gets his burger and a drink and sits at the window looking out at the parking lot and sees a small crowd of people around the Road Runner and he thinks that maybe, things are starting to turn around for him.

McNally will return...

The Build
I have completed my '70 Road Runner and it is posted in Under Glass. I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to view and to comment on my build!