Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Attempt 1 ?

I wa sorting through my parts boxes for a future project (40 Ford Gasser) and I cam across remnants of a Attempt1 kit.

I believe one of my sons was going to use the body for a slot car. There are no instructions but it appears that it came with two engines or maybe two 1/2 engines and could be a dragster or a land speed car. Whats a little puzzling is that there are two different sized blowers but all the rest of the engine parts appears to be the same. Can anyone shed a little light on this kit?
Thanks
Jon

The two engines (Pontiac Tempest "half a V8" slant 4) were the same except for the size of the blowers. Mickey Thompson swapped in different engines to attack multiple class records at Bonneville in each visit. The Attempt I was a bit on the small side, so Revell probably put the second engine (and the trailer) in to get the box a bit more full.

FWIW, the Pontiac Tempest "slant 4" was nothing more than the left half of their 389cid V8. It was essentially identical in that way--Pontiac even produced them on the same production line, alongside the V8--down to using the very same cylinder boring and honing machines and tools. I believe the cylinder head was also the same as a 389.

Art

>the Pontiac Tempest "slant 4" was nothing more than the left half of their 389cid V8.

it was the entire block though, with the left side bank of cylinders blocked off. must have had different internals though...or did it? other than four less pistons and rods etc, but was it still the same crankshaft for instance?

darn strange looking layout; that's why I built the engine itself even if I wasn't interested in building the vehicle.

jb

>the Pontiac Tempest "slant 4" was nothing more than the left half of their 389cid V8.

it was the entire block though, with the left side bank of cylinders blocked off. must have had different internals though...or did it? other than four less pistons and rods etc, but was it still the same crankshaft for instance?

darn strange looking layout; that's why I built the engine itself even if I wasn't interested in building the vehicle.

jb

The block is different...no provisions for installing another cylinder head or the "other" four pistons. Pontiac tested the idea by building 389 V8 engines with one bank of cylinders removed. The production cylinder head was actually one of the better V8 units, however nobody bothers to save those now because there are later ones that are better.

oh it must have been the prototype I was thinking of then. makes sense it would be a different block, thanks for the info

i am in the process of building another of these, this time for installation in a rod, but using a pair of Weber dual throat carbs. i would actually like to get another engine block and head etc if anyone has a spare please message me!

jb

• 1 year later...