Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1984 Olds 442

wisdonm

I read this on GBodyForum.

1983 Hurst Olds Revel Model coming soon

icon_post_target.gifby darthvaderolds on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:42 pm

On Oct 11th , Revel is coming to my house to take pictures and take measurements of my 1983 Hurst Olds to use to make the Revel Model. So finally we will see a G Body OLDS model !! Even cooler they are making the model from my 1983 H/O

I talked with Ed and told him he should make the model be in a 3 in 1 model, and include stripes for a gbody 442,84 Hurst Olds stripes, and FE3-X maybe, we'll see.

I will let you know all know more details on a release date.

Angelo

GetAttachment-1-1.jpg

I would love to see that Olds kitted, then I could have a model of one of my past cars, I had an 84 olds, I really liked that car, I had fun trying to get the wire hubcaps to come off :D

I remember the first days of owning it, I paid $1500 for it, and 24 hours later, took a road trip to Vegas and just past the state line, got tickets totaling little over $900, all because the speedo didnt work :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Angelo Valenti is not just an Oldsmobile fan Casey he built protype G Body cars for Oldsmobile .

Does this mean this is true good question , but if you wanted to measure a correct G body cutlass he would have one.

I'm not doubting what he said on the G-body forum is true at all, and Angelo sounds like the ideal person for Revell to contact.

I just recall hearing from a member here about Ed Sexton and/or someone from Revell showing up to measure some Mustang LX nothcbacks, and that project has yet to be announced as a formal kit. Eventually, I think the Mustang LX notchback kit will happen, but the timetable between doing research, taking measurements and photos, and a kit hitting store shelves can sometimes try our patience.

I would think the kit would have to be 1/25 scale.

Considering that Revell planned and even had test shots for a mid-80's Cutlass that was going to be done as a die cast it seems strange that they would have to document and measure one of these cars. They should already have all of the pictures and mesurements already.

Would be neat to see the '80s Olds, and considering Revell has been on an Olds kick in recent years w/ the '72 Cutlass and '50 88, it doesn't seem implausible... I'd hope it would be in 1:24th to go w/ the existing Buick GN and Monte Carlo SS kits.

Doing it in 1/24 would be the kiss of death (see 'Cuda post).

Edited by slantasaurus

It will be two to three years at the earliest .

Taking the measurements are the first step in designing a model. 24 months is probably a safe estimate considering all they have to create to make an accurate representation, unless they cheat and use parts from the Regal or Monte kits, like the chassis or modify interiors or bodies.

Nice to hear some long awaited kits could be coming our way. Interested to see what else is coming! Funny how Olds is out of business and NOW we start getting kits of them! What's next, Plymouths and Pontiacs?????

Edited by mikemodeler

• 1 year later...

I thought the '84 was a Hurst/Olds and the 442 didn't reappear until '85. Anyway, there were a gazillion of those Olds 307's made back in the 1980's. Maybe "Cash for Clunkers" erased many of them from the face of the earth, but surely there are plenty of them left.

I just checked Google... lots of pictures available. You can't even see the engine from the topside with all the power accessories. I'd love to see a scale '85-87 442. I always like the colors on those cars.

The bad thing is, the people who were around when they were new didn't much like them..They bought them because they were made by GM and had the

name Oldsmobile so they must be good cars..Very mundane by 80's standards..Not much muscle in the 80s..Todays new modelers, the younger ones coming

up don't remember them so they don't want them either..Unfortunately I don't see them being a huge seller either...There weren't many 80s cars that were exciting

to own or drive...

My second car I owned was 84 Cutlass, If I remember correctly, it was a light blue with a white landau top, fake wire wheel hubcaps, for the short time I owned it, I did like it, I liked it a heck of a lot better then what I traded it in on. But the one thing I do remember is that it had no real power, spinning the tires, yeah, that was not something it was good at.

If I remember correctly, the Cutlass Supreme was one of the best selling cars of the early '80's. There seemed to be maroon on maroon boxes with vinyl roofs and velour upholstery all over Long Island. One doesn't see too many now.

Chief Joseph, you are correct, the original interest came from lowriders and Donk modelers. Some people try to scratch build them but never as good as a kit from say Revell. For Revell to make any money, they would have to issue it at least 4 times as a Donk, Lowrider, Hurst Olds and a 442. If the distributers and dealers thumbs down it, it will be dead with not enough orders.

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix. I liked it. Though, I will admit, the Cutlas was probably the best looking of the '81-'88 GM G body cars.

If they measured someones car why do they not have pictures of an engine.

Simply put: With perhaps the exception of cars built before say, 1933, photographing the engine in the car for the purpose of creating a decent replica of that engine for a model kit is pretty much a "Fools Errand"--you really can't get images of the ENTIRE engine which are necessary to make a credible model of it (and what is perhaps the most criticized of all model car kit components than the body or chrome? The engine.

Art

My first car was a 80 Cutlass and I still daily drive a 87 Cutlass...I hope to see this happen...They are starting to get popular and harder to find stuff for....Took me over 3 years to find the original 87 front end to go back on mine after the wreck and wasnt an arm and leg for..

Chief Joseph, you are correct, the original interest came from lowriders and Donk modelers. Some people try to scratch build them but never as good as a kit from say Revell. For Revell to make any money, they would have to issue it at least 4 times as a Donk, Lowrider, Hurst Olds and a 442. If the distributers and dealers thumbs down it, it will be dead with not enough orders.

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix. I liked it. Though, I will admit, the Cutlas was probably the best looking of the '81-'88 GM G body cars.

I doubt there would be much Donk interest in the kit, but I can zee the Lowrider, drag, and maybe the dirt oval guys getting into them. This one however, is my favorite :D

ADARTHIISIDE.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

This kit was talked about on here a few monts ago but I can't seem to find it anywere on here it was comming out first as a special edition as a either a 84 or 85 442 hurst olds and then as a 85 or 86 442 I suar hope revell will go head with this one I had a 81 and i put well over 250,000 miles on it and I liked that car it just seen it's day finally the rear body mounts came through the trunk and had to junk it.