Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Rockford dead at

Greg Myers

Certainly a great actor and a great american. I forgot he also won a purple heart in Korea. Him and Clint were my all time favorites. Formula one certainly owes him great tribute for the movie Grand Prix that help make it what it is.

After seein' the movie Grand Prix back-in-the-day, I took a trip to Watkins Glen, New York for the Grand Prix of the United States in 1967 and it was really cool to see those Formulas and meet and talk to Dan Gurney as well. Also got taken to the JP for speedin' on the way there. How could that be? LOL!

I ran into him once at Indy in the pits right after climbing the fence at the end of the race. I was 16 at the time and didn't know who he was until a friend told me too late. He gave me a dirty look after running smack into him. That was my first race, I was just a dumb kid. I always wondered if he would remember that encounter, probably not, I will never know. I will never forget. R.I.P. Jim

........I ALWAYS loved anything James Garner was in,even his westerns as I do not like westerns like Support your local sheriff,another favorite was Move over darling,Tank and Space Cowboys and so on and of course all time favorite Rockford Files .....truly the best actor ever in my opinion...Rest in peace Jimmy.......

• 2 weeks later...

I just happened to run across his autobiography at a garage sale a month before he died and I bought it for $1. I wasn't a fan of his acting as much as I was his racing. Growing up in Las Vegas and having been a desert racer I will always remember him as just that an good actor a racing enthusiast but an excellent off road racer.