Model Cars Magazine Forum

I cut about 1 inch off the front of an AMT 1972 Chevelle kit and attached it to an ERTL AMT 1968 El Camino. All the '68 side trim was removed and Model Car Garage '70 Chevelle etchings will replace it.

The 1972 needs wheel moldings and back up lights in the lift gate. Also, I swapped the 1972 dash.

Still have some fit issues.

I finally glued it together with a lot of evergreen patches inside. I had to CA glue with wire two pieces in the front that were weak. The primer paint really showed defects to be fixed.

More fit issues, but I will tackle that next.

Edited by Bob Ellis

While I think I did a pretty good job having cobbled together 3 kits, it has to look good as if AMT did it. Evergreen Styrene is my Bondo.

I like to fill voids with Evergreen Styrene and rarely use putty. I have tried by pushing the grille in place, but it resists fitting like it did on the original AMT '72 Chevelle kit. My goal is to have the grille in place with no gaps.

Varying pieces of 0.010 and thicker plastic shims are great because they become part of the plastic body.

Edited by Bob Ellis

I feel kind of dumb to just realize that Jimmy Flintstone already did a '72 El Camino. However, I decided after seeing it, that my avenue of approach actually wasn't bad after all.

In this photo you will see a comparison of the original AMT '69 El Camino versus the AMT '68 El Camino body I used for my '72 conversion. It appears AMT used a hardtop vent window and no frame around the door window. Also there is a rear marker light in the rear quarter panel. The '68 ElCamino kit is a very nice kit.

The Jimmy Flintstone '72 El Camino used the old kit. probably because the '72 kit and it match in width.

• 2 weeks later...