Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom '49 Merc

wayne swayze

From the 1990 vault...AMT '49 Merc with a '87 T-Bird nose, a '77 Camaro roof and rear glass and scratch-built rear deck, taillight and lower pan. The car was sectioned a scale 3" and the wheel covers are buttons. The interior has a '77 Camaro dash, '63 Lincoln steering wheel and a "car phone" (Ever see those?. haha) The interior is also upholstered using suede and velour powder. Colour is a custom mix resulting in Salmon to match the suede. Wipers are hidden in boxes in front of the windows and the washer fluid lines go to the nozzles on the hood. Thanks for looking.

post-14132-0-46949600-1405922430_thumb.j

Some bits work for me, some don't, that is down to personal opinion, but i think you have done a great job on making everything fit and flow,

Some very creative work going on here, i like you style, and balls on chopping up a very nice model to start with.

Thanks for your input guys. I've been finally getting photos of my old builds, so just thought I'd share them with you. A lot of the work is pretty dated, but then, so am I.(haha). Still LOVE building models after all these years, although I doubt that my current work will be nearly as good as before. But I think...keep it diverse, do your best, but mostly....HAVE FUN!!!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the compliments guys. There was a ton of modifications with this one, lots of cutting, filing and sanding. I used Tamiya putty which I let thoroughly dry after each coat. I'm pleased that after 25 or so years, it has no signs of cracking . The photo submitted  yesterday  shows the Charlie Smith drawing from a '87 Hot Rod magazine that inspired me to attempt this build. It took about 2 years to build (weekends only), and was entered into a few shows in 1990/1991.