Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter Ford GT40- 1/12 scale!

jaymcminn

This is Trumpeter's controversial 1/12 Ford GT40. You can find the build thread (and a lot of general GT40 discussion) here. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90053 A lot of things have been said about this kit- it's lousy, it's great, it's toylike, it's detailed, it's an amazing replica, it's wildly inaccurate... and they're ALL true! It's a 310 piece kit where about 200 of the parts are chrome-plated. And I mean some random stuff, like the sides of the engine block. Some more random parts are pre-painted. The kit tires are tire-shaped only in the sense that they are round, and a lot of the details are clunky or non-existent. But the proportions are correct, the "bones"are there, and it's possible to make a really nice model out of this weird kit.

This is a true multi-media kit. In addition to the plastic, there's PE metal, turned aluminum, fabric, woven oil and fuel lines, tubing, screws, clips... lots and lots of parts that contribute to a truly impressive model. I built mine in the Arcadian Blue livery of chassis # 1015, which placed second in the 1966 LeMans 24 Hours. The car had day-glo red vinyl ID patches added to the front wings for LeMans... I wasn't crazy about them so I left them off. I have seen pics of the car racing without the patches.

I tried not to drive myself too nuts getting every little detail perfect. The Trumpeter kit doesn't lend itself well to that kind of precision anyway. What it does do is capture the essence of the GT40, and that's what I hope I did here...

P1030772_zps8996d4c7.jpg

P1030776_zpseea9bca4.jpg

P1030785_zps3916fb98.jpg

A lot of extra work went into this kit, such as photoetched washers to represent the seat grommets, toggle switches scratchbuilt from plastic bolt heads and silver wire, and a kitbashed fire extinguisher and battery. The tires are beautiful resin items by Icon Automotive and the decals are by BBK.

P1030796_zps4a533dee.jpg

P1030802_zps30fb1e03.jpg

The Icon tire set also comes with a resin spare tire and wheel, as the kit doesn't provide one. It ain't pretty what you have to do to that spare to get it to fit, but it does look good in place. I scratchbuilt the hold-down from leftover seat belt material, wire, and aluminum.

P1030789_zps06ead235.jpg

P1030755_zps34e7cb37.jpg

Amazing job. Is this kit any good? I've heard some stuff about it, not sure if it is good or bad, or what... Your model is absolutely amazing, now you have to find somewhere to put it on the shelf hahha :lol:

Edited by DynoMight

Amazing job. Is this kit any good? I've heard some stuff about it, not sure if it is good or bad, or what... Your model is absolutely amazing, now you have to find somewhere to put it on the shelf hahha :lol:

Thanks, Glenn!

I think the kit itself is excellent. Parts fit is good, panel fit is alright after some tweaking, and the kit detail provides a very good starting point. Some of the parts, however, are out-of-scale and "clunky", especially the suspension and interior parts. Building this kit involves a lot of compromise... it helps to determine ahead of time what you can live with and what you feel you need to fix. If I had the patience, I could have spent another four months on this thing. As it was it took about three. I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting to push his abilities without going to the extreme of, say, a Pocher kit.

Edited by jaymcminn

People expect a model (from China no less) to be 100% accurate and not resemble a toy in some ways. Thankfully the aftermarket steps up and makes up for glaring omissions and provides some better parts than the originals if one chooses to "upgrade." The photo etch metal upgrade kits are for those that want to add more details. Of course the modeler can add anything they want and scratch build their own parts too. The kit is not perfect from what I have read but what kit is? Consider the alternative of no kit at all. I have yet to start on mine but when I do will refer back to this fantastic build by Jason. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KS-1-12-GT40-Super-detail-up-pack-for-Trumpeter-KS00007-/250606669197?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3a59524d8d

Edited by vamach1

Fantastic work. I really like the finished look of this car and you've described the kit perfectly for what it is to start with and what it can be built into.

You've done a great job building this kit and it represents the GT40 very well.