Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona - 426 Hemi, Torqueflite 727 Automatic, T5 Fire Bronze

Mr. Moparman

Hey guys! Brandon here with a new project! This time it is Revell's 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona, and I will be doing it as a "what-If", what I would have ordered in 1969 new from the dealer.

IMG_0022_zps0d23db84.jpg

This is pretty much what I'm going for, with the exception that mine will have steel wheels from the Lindberg '64 Dodge 340 kit.

Day70_zpsb4d02313.jpg

IMG_0025_zps03d10003.jpg

This car is gonna be a 426 Hemi/Torquefite 727 car, with the Revell '68 Dodge Dart donating the 727 transmission, automatic pedals, and majority of the Hemi parts, and I've got the exhaust headers, and carburetors from the Revell '67 Dodge Charger on the way for the Hemi. The transmission is not seen in the picture, but I've also got one on the way from fellow member, tubbs.

IMG_0026_zpsce7497a0.jpg

The paint is gonna be Testors One-Coat Lacquer Fiery Orange, which is the closest match to the 1:1 car's T5 Fire Bronze that I could find.

IMG_0023_zpsdbdfbae6.jpg

That's all for now, and progress is gonna be slow until my Revell '69 Baldwin-Motion Camaro is completed (just a little bit more work!) and all of my components arrive for the Hemi. Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman

I had to paint some parts for my Camaro, so I figured I'd go on ahead and clean up the Daytona body and prime it. On my last Daytona build, I mounted the nose cone after I got the body put on the chassis, but I've seen other builds where the builder mounted the nose to the body and painted it as one piece. I decided to go this route with this build. Also, there's a spot or two where a piece of debris got into the primer, but that's nothing some sandpaper won't fix.

IMG_0027_zps88add21f.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsd263e26d.jpg

Enjoy!

Sweet. You can see what the orange looks like on my 69 super bee build. It's too orange for what you want I think. I have another color in that like called flaming orange. It's more what you need.

I see now what you are talking about. I am currently doing some tests with the Fiery Orange and a lighter, more copper color I had in my paint drawer. So far I think I am gonna go with the lighter color. I will get some pictures up when the test samples dry.

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Brandon - This is going to be a nice XX29J9B !

Just in case you're interested , Missing Link Resins makes and sells the correct 1969 - 1974 Dodge hubcaps .

Thank You! And I am aware of the Missing Link caps, and while I love Mopars, I am not one of the rivet-counter Mopar guys, :P so the Plymouth caps don't really matter to me.

EDIT: After a quick Bing search, it turns out that there are only minor variances in the design of the hubcap. But like I mentioned before, the build just isn't about a set of hubcaps now is it? :P

Edited by Mr. Moparman

So, it has been pointed out that the Fiery Orange color I originally picked possibly was too dark and orangy to be a replica for the 1:1 cars T5 Fire Bronze. To test this theory, I brought out a can of Testors Metallic Copper and sprayed two junk hoods with each color. I do believe I am gonna go with the lighter Metallic Copper for the Daytona.

IMG_0030_zps472d7883.jpg

I decided to get the Hemi out and do some work to it, come to find out, Revell moved the engine mounts to allow the engine to sit lower in the Dart's frame. In the Daytona, however, this would leave the oil pan scraping the ground. So out came the Evergreen and superglue/accelerator and I crafted a new set of mounts. Each side of the block took about 15 minutes to do, I redid them about five times before I finally got them where they should be.

IMG_0031_zps25c55f1f.jpg

I believe it's ready for a coat of Hemi Orange tommorow! Now about that transmission...... :P

IMG_0032_zps6104081e.jpg

Enjoy!

Ok guys, after about an hour of research, I have decided that I am sticking with the Testors Fiery Orange for this car. After close comparisons using printed photos of two 1:1 Daytona's both claiming to be painted T5 Fire Bronze and my two test hoods, I decided that the Fiery Orange would be the better color, according to my eyes. To test my theory, I walked down the street to a local paint and body shop, where the friendly salesman let me compare my test hoods to a real paint chip of T5 Fire Bronze. The Testors Fiery Orange was the winner, again. To some people, the color may be a little off, but hey, this is what I would have ordered in 1969. :)

...continued...

Now, this is an automatic car. This is what the console in an automatic car would look like.

1969-dodge-charger-4_zpsd55c37af.jpg

Here's the kit's console.

IMG_0038_zpse4338b03.jpg

Now, Missing Link Resins used to have a resin automatic console, but they have been out of it for ages. So, I have three options. 1. Scratch-build a new console. 2. Come up with a way to modify the existing console. 3. Convert the car to a column shift model. I eventually went with option 2. Here's how I did it.

I just keep finding nice parts in Revell's '68 Dart kit, and what would you know that there's a nice center console piece in there than can donate itself to the Daytona. I cut it up to fit in the Daytona's console, and while I was there I grabbed the shifter too.

IMG_0039_zps755cf754.jpg

I then glued the modified piece into the Daytona's console.

IMG_0040_zps6ec64571.jpg[

Some paint detailing and volia! Automatic Console for my Daytona!

IMG_0041_zps229816a9.jpg

IMG_0042_zpse8f171a0.jpg

Stay tuned for Part 3!

Edited by Mr. Moparman

...continued...

Now on to the Hemi power-house. I got it painted today, put the valve covers on and wired up the spark plugs. The masking tape along the oil pan is only to protect the paint while I work with the engine.

IMG_0043_zps50a5fe34.jpg

By the power invested in me by Ma-Mopar, I henceforth and forever more pronounce this Dodge Charger a Dodge Charger Daytona!

IMG_0044_zpsc221f4e5.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

The interior is shaping up! I almost flocked it, but then come to find out, I am out of flocking material and I have already depleted my monthly modeling allowance on this Daytona.

IMG_0047_zpseb5291ff.jpg

IMG_0046_zps94317e44.jpg

IMG_0045_zps0417e722.jpg

I got the steel wheels painted up!

IMG_0048_zps6e8f85dd.jpg

The body has been Bare Metal Foiled and has had various decals applied such as HEMI badges, Charger badges, etc. I hope to get the photo-etch grille on tonight.

IMG_0049_zps9fb2e03d.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Well guys, I've done just about all I can do before I can put the car together, and I need the transmission to put the car together. Never fear, because the transmission should be on it's way Monday so I probably can have the Daytona done before school starts.

The interior is completed and ready to go in the car.

IMG_0050_zps6b1d375f.jpg

Last night I hand-painted the headliner in the car and got the glass installed. I got one little-bitty spot on the rear window where a little bit of glue seeped out the edge, but it's not a big deal to me.

IMG_0051_zps67452937.jpg

IMG_0052_zpsb9fdc492.jpg

I've also been painting and detailing the chassis. I hope to get the suspension painted and put together tomorrow.

IMG_0053_zpsdecdce93.jpg

The rear valance is ready to go in.

IMG_0054_zpsca172754.jpg

The HEMI power-plant is done! Now it just needs something behind it to turn them wheels....

IMG_0055_zpsfc76fad1.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman