Model Cars Magazine Forum

Climate Controlled Booth

Seems to be much discussion on what classifies as a spray booth.

Basically all that is offered that I have seen are merely exhaust fans with enclosures to buffer overspray but are still open to the surrounding environment

I see so many posts as "I have to wait to paint because of the weather" ( which is 95% wrong!!!!! as there are many ways to combat weather related issues through chemistry)

How many out there would consider the following: Use a real enclosed booth? Build and climate controlled booth in a kit form? Purchase a Commercially built booth.

Edited by jwrass

"Climate Control"? As in humidity? Ever consider a simple dehumidifier? I lived with those as a teenager, in my parent's house, where I had a huge basement room from age 14 through early college (and I was a serious model car builder back then, and this was in the city in which I still live, in Indiana, where on a humid night we can cast a line into the air, catch catfish--it is that humid!)

Seriously, a dehumidifier will do the trick in a basement, or even upstairs if one does not have air conditioning.

Art

This would be a sealed packaged unit and no house hold components would be used. this would be a purpose built machine.

Their are builders who pay thousands for machining centers to make all types of goodies. And many who wait months to paint something waiting for the right weather conditions.

Would something like this appeal to many who build? no. But for the professional and to those who take building very serious like the ones who have machine centers I think It may have appeal.

This system would be a year round unit with Filtered incoming and exhaust air. Heat, Dehumidification, Reheat and a cure cycle. Digital controls would be used for all sequences of operation to maintain the closest tolerances.

I think it would be lovely, but maintaining such tight tolerances as possible with "digital-control" I personally see as overkill. I can adapt and paint in any conditions, but 30-60% humidity and 60-80deg F. to me is ideal. Getting that window on demand would make me happy.

But then, I have a dislike of a lot of "digital control" on most machines these days, because it's usually impossible to repair if the manufacturer doesn't support it for whatever reason, and it's usually far more capable than the end user. How many folks ever REALLY learned to program the VCR to take advantage of everything it could do?

Thing is, to build a REAL "climate-controlled" booth, you'd need a sealed "glove-box" style enclosure, with a fairly high-volume temperature-regulated air supply coming from something like a simple room air-conditioner. Kinda overkill for models, but it would be nice.

Or, much like a so-called "clean room", where even those working in it have to wear absolutely clean coveralls, with respirators, goggles, special gloves, and covers over their street shoes, right? ;)

Art

All of my painting in the past has been in our Indiana basement. For those of you that haven't been to Indiana, the humidity in the summer is insane. But we run a household dehumidifier in the basement and it works fine. It also stays around 65 degrees down there year round. What would be nice about a climate controlled both would be to have a filtered dust free environment! It's impossible to keep dust and dirt off of fresh paint down there.