Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Hornet Pro Mod IT'S FINISHED! 2/7/15

Thanks guys! I did some work on this today. I was going to go with the Revell pro sportsman chassis but once I cut the doors out the floor was really short. That would have meant some serious slicing and dicing. I knew I had this floor pan in my parts box so I tried it. a little massaging with a sanding stick and a dremel and it fits great. That small gap at the firewall will become my door jamb/hinge area:

L8FSVDtyF-vi.jpg

The Lower control arms that were on this new chassis were way to long. I added a set from a warped Revell chassis.

OjWVGaMcuTQ_-vi.jpg

I have a Ross Gibson Ford motor laying about so I'm gonna raid it for parts, Blower and distributors. I also wanted to see what a taller injector hat would look like.

5xBNLGMDJmQdudXMLxQ1qZky4rFG__-vi.jpg

Next up I'll be building the positive locator for the floor pan and then I'll start building hinges. Thanks for looking!!!

Got some more work done on this one today. I made a new Cowl so I would have someplace to mount my door hinges:

EcueZ1R_Kr4scPA3bXkTktH-vi.jpg

_n9k1bxYVgcGIkdiGi-vi.jpg

Using Tyrone's fantastic instructions I was finally able to hinge the doors so that they turn into the fenders!!!

_j0TpnG5ctoT3H794W2z_r0mu7uxhW-vi.jpg

ZZOYDNGzEC21YucMcGrvi3B6AZ-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking and >>> Thank you TYRONE!!!!!!

Work has been slow on this one as I really had no idea what I wanted the finished car to look like. After browsing the decals at Slixx I decided on this paint scheme:

RB800.jpg

I don't usually go for lots of graphics and stickers but I just loved the way this looked. Decals have been ordered along with a shorter injector hat.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but my drag builds are almost always shelf models. I only detail what you can see with the car sitting on the table. For me there is no point in wasting time and money on the bottom of the car when it will never be seen.

I did some mock up and I ended up selecting the stance for this thing. It is really going to sit low.

x70p_dIku5zsQVp3K_JTz6aR-vi.jpg

I am going to have to fab up some custom front struts/spindles to pull the stance off. If they end up looking lousy I'll sheet metal the engine bay to hide them.

I also started on the cage/frame. I've never used this particular floor pan before and I had no other pieces to go with it so I am going to have to fab everything.

TEAwfGkj9ivQJsSI9r_81HCZB_cESo-vi.jpg

uIk5_SywLVADx6JZrV8Vo6rGVIyW-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Got a little time in at the bench today. I wrapped up the cage. I just need to add the steering column support. The whole cage is done from scratch. Not my best effort but the parts that will show with the body in place look OK.

NnGZYOaWw-vi.jpg

fx_0sTjdpEKJKuE-vi.jpg

I also finished the engine mount. Time to start painting parts.

mvOo3Fz01OmskFvbeM8nhKYTVvESJ-vi.jpg

w__ss_OJ34wWERqYTnHH_medi76-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!