Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

Work continues with the layout of the frame for sizing and placement of roll bar and subframe tubing. Once all of this is verified, I'll actually start cutting some styrene. LOL

This was drawn in Illustrator to the correct scale.

After seeing Mark Johnson's frame for his Jewel T in Evergreen tube, I've decided to not attempt making it out of brass. Maybe if it was 1/16th scale for a first time.

Thanks for following along on this journey.

Frame2Scale.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Brad... Awesome work my friend. I hope that you got my email because doing this in 1/16 would be so cool. How about one in 1/25 & one in 1/16th...lol. Also if need be I could draw this chassis up for you in solidworks and make some scale prints for you. Just a thought ;)

I got in a long bench time session on Saturday and put the frame together. Sunday, I had to shorten the hoop by 3/16th of and inch and put in the motor mounts. Here's a few pics.

Chassis1_zps70face42.jpg

Chassis2_zps5d0a3b0b.jpg

Chassis3_zps2e0970c4.jpg

Chassis4_zps89c4858f.jpg

As it sits, the motor is a bit too high so I'll need to lower it a bit.

Thanks for following along. Comments welcome.

Research for reference photos continues but I think the well has dried up. Here's a few more pics I found and there should be enough for me to get going on the chassis. I see AMT is releasing the Competition Parts Pack with the T-bucket body supposedly this month so I may just wait for that release to see how it compares with the Wild Willie body.

Frame3_zpsfbe831a2.jpg

Frame1_zps9b2a8c73.jpg

Frame2_zps8090e878.jpg

Frame4_zps7dc77c42.jpg

There is still a few unknowns such as rear axle type, seat style and rear subframe that would be part of the pushbar structure and parachute base. These I'll have to just have to guesstimate. I have a few more photos of the car with the body on I'll put in the next post.

Looks like my cousin's garage here in Glendale. Has Logghe tube chassis sitting in there like forever. It's set up for a '33 Willys.

Brad... I am loving the progress you have made. The frame is looking killer. i sure cant wait to see more. I think that maybe you took a few of Johns Minions and oit them to work... can I borrow one so I can get that motiviation back on my funny car, i feel I am in a little slump but it just may be that I havent gotten any bench time in thebpast 2 weeks...lol gonna work in it tonight when I get off work.

Mike - I wish my garage had a similar chassis sitting in it. I'd DO something with it. At least, I'd dust it off.

Glenn - thanks for checking in. I'll do my best although it usually takes me alot of time.

Ira - thanks for following along and I appreciate your comments. Updates forthcoming.

Danno - thanks buddy. More to follow.

Chris - I wish I could borrow some of John's minions. I've requested them but none have shown up.

Well, I'm still sourcing parts. Thanks to Paul in northern AZ for the rear wheels he's sending. Last nigfht and again this morning, I've gone through 20 or so boxes looking for an appropriate rear axle. Still more to go through. Once that's done, I'll get to scratch building an aluminum functioning straight axle.

Stay tuned...

Edited by gasser59

Paul - I saw that torque tube and was wondering the same thing and came to the conclusion it must have came with the car since its in the shots of the dusted off chassis and sitting on the waist high stand getting ready for rebuild. I didn't see it in the earlier photos where the dusty chassis is sitting on Walt's garage floor. I like your thinking.

Wow Gene. That's a cool pic. Everything on the car is different though. The engine, roll cage, wheels, placement of the parachute, torsion arms, I wonder if its the same frame. Thanks so much for posting. This adds another wrinkle to the history to the Walt's Puffers.

Well, a bit of bench time in and I don't seem to have gotten much accomplished. Started work on the straight axle and one side is complete. The first one is always easier because now I need to match the proportions and dimensions for the other side.

Here's a few pictures.

Knuckle2_zps81505ca2.jpg

Knuckle1_zps7c786e76.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry. This camera doesn't do close ups nearly as well as the last one which quit on me.

Thanks for following along. As always, comments welcome.