Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

Hi guys - when I first saw the posted photo, I just knew I'd have to build this little known altered. Currently, I'm collecting all of the parts needed and will try my hand at making the tubular chassis out of brass, something new for me. I've found a few photos on the innerweb but there aren't many. I'll have to improvise on a few things but no big deal. The original car is being rebuilt and I've sent the builder a PM on the HAMB site so we'll see what happens.

Onto the picture.

Stay tuned and thanks for following along. Comments welcome and encouraged.

3qtrView.jpg

Edited by gasser59

This is going to be a fine build! Say the word Altered and you have my attention.

Very nice work artwork for the decals!!! Curious did you hand draw it our is it computer generated. If C.G. what software did you use?

Looking forward to this one. jwrass

Brad,

I know how addicting the graphics game can be I have not used Any Adobe of Corel products, however they interest me. I use Flexi Sign Pro which is a sign and graphics program that caters to anything of a advertising type graphic needs business. I use it mostly for my Custom Paint Shop for drawing my designs Vectorizing them and cutting masks on a plotter. I use only a fraction of what it can do. I am much like you I can sit with a design for hours and tweak it until my hearts content. The plug in software is the stuff that gets me in trouble. I have serious problem with buying that stuff I have a hard time saying no to software .

By looking at your work I could tell you were much more than a novice! Great work Brad!!!! jwrass

Thanks guys.

Chris - yup, looking forward to working in brass. I'm not sure I have the right soldering gun/iron for this. Time will tell.

TOM - I'VE USED ILLUSTRATOR BACK WHEN IT WAS FIRST INTRODUCED. I'VE NOT WORKED WITH COREL AND HAVE NEVER HEARD OF GIMP OR THE OTHER ONE YOU MENTIONED, I'VE ALWAYS HAD ILLUSTRATOR AND GET JUST ABOUT ANYTHING DONE I WANT TO WITH IT. I ALSO USED TO TEACH IT AT A COLLEGE LEVEL.

James - Having been a graphic artist and illustrator since leaving art school in 1978, I've been in the industry a while. Have worked in sign shops, silk screening, pre-press departments, art departments and the like until I started teaching in 1988. First started teaching Graphic Arts (preparing art for printing) which is now obsolete since it can all be done on the computer. Have taught design (2 and 3d), illustration, rendering, layout, portfolio prep, typography, advertising design and a host of others. I really enjoyed teaching immensely but my first day I was bigtime nervous.

Gerald - My source is me. I created the artwork, size it and then send it via email attachment to Chief Joseph here on MCM Forums of Fireball Modelworks. He has the best results, quick turnaround time and best prices I've encountered. I'll continue to use his services exclusively. I'll send you a PM here in a moment. Gotta run to the LHS for some Zap-A-Gap.

Brad nice work on the decal , if you want to try Corel Draw X5 let me know and I can let you try my cd , here is what you can do with it , I also have illustrator but I like Corel better , I can draw much faster with it .

Chuck

post-4836-0-08577300-1406624412_thumb.jp

WOW!! That is really nice Chuck. I've never used Corel so I don't know a thing about it. I've always used Illustrator and know its tools and functionality. Thanks for your kind offer but I'm too set in my ways plus too old to start something new. :D

Chuck,

Very Impressive Artwork!!!!!! As I mentioned earlier in this thread I don't own any high end Adobe or Corel products. I have X5 still in the package and need to load it to play with it.

I have read that the Corel products are more user friendly than the Adobe anyone have any opinions on that?

To anyone !!! With the advent of many making decals of cars that were never produced, what type of implications with regards to copyrights come into play? Are people getting the blessings of the car owners yada yada

Even though Flex Sign Pro has a excellent vectorizing platform, I use a program by the name of imagaro Z. Very easy to use and has a font Identifier that helps me identify those odd ball fonts that little Billy's Mom used when designing the little league jerseys.

Brad and Chuck, Very nice work gentlemen thanks for sharing!!! jwrass

• 2 weeks later...

Research for reference photos continues but I think the well has dried up. Here's a few more pics I found and there should be enough for me to get going on the chassis. I see AMT is releasing the Competition Parts Pack with the T-bucket body supposedly this month so I may just wait for that release to see how it compares with the Wild Willie body.

There are still a few unknowns such as rear axle type, seat style and rear subframe that would be part of the pushbar structure and parachute base. These I'll have to just have to guesstimate. I have a few more photos of the car with the body on I'll put in the next post.

DustyFrame3.jpg

DustyFrame4.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Here's a few more of the actual car.

DownTheStrip-vi.jpg

MailboxScoop2-vi.jpg

MailboxScoop1-vi.jpg

This pic is from Hot Rod magazine in '62.

HOTRODNov_62-vi.jpg

This is an early one with the mailbox scoop and whitewalls.

And finally, a color shot compliments of my friend Greg Myers.

This last color one really helped with making the decals, thanks Greg.

ColorinthePits-vi.jpg

Edited by gasser59