Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

That is one beautiful piece of art Brad. I'm so glad you went with a dull cap on the front spokies. Looks perfect.

Thanks Randy and Joe. I searched through my stash and countless kit boxes to no avail. I just decided to make some myself. I know the shape I wanted so this would be easy. I found the appropriate diameter of sprue and shaped them on my Dremel Stylus, trimmed them down, stuck them to a rolled over piece of blue painter's tape and shot them with Metalizer.

Wow that turned out fantastic! Thanks for sharing this thread, lots of good information, reference material and inspiration in here. I think I'll need to bookmark this one for future reference. Your build turned out super nice. Detailing is very nice and clean overall, not only in the engine but you've added lots of extra stuff in interior and suspension too which really paid off! It looks excellent in every way. Congrats on a fine build!

Niko - thanks for joining me on this Puffer journey. So glad you find inspiration form this build.

Dave - yes, the sunlight makes a big difference than the unnatural interior lighting. Thanks.

Aaron - it was great hooking up with you again on Saturday. I really appreciate your comments. You had some mighty fine stuff on the tables too.

Very innovative Brad, I learned a lot from this project and I'm happy to see it sitting so well now that it's finished.  Great detailing and you followed through after a couple of quirks, and it came out looking fine.  Front end construction, choice of nuts and bolts, which wire to use as electrical wiring....all of us can learn from your efforts.  The tip about Zap-A-Gap was a good one, and many more. 

It's great to see another Altered done in style and I'm happy for you.  This is such a cool genre, and so much can be done through kit bashing and especially scratch building.  The Altered cars have my attention, and I'm working away on another one, they're just too good to just build out of a box.

Looks fantastic Brad....did it place at the recent show?   Cheers, Tim

I don't know how that happened but this is a Codi quote and not a Nytrozilla.

No it didn't place but it was either you got the most votes or you didn't. There wasn't a second or third place award, just top vote getter. My Carney Wagon won in the Light Commercial category though.

Thanks Michael. I had a lot of fun with this one and there were a few bumps in the road but they were overcome. I'm really happy with it and if I had it to do over, I'd make a few minor tweaks during the build. Now to figure out what's next. Maybe my Jeep or some other thing. I have an idea for a 1/16th scale build but am waiting on a built kit before I can get started on it. Don't tell Mooneyz.  LOL

Edited by gasser59

Brad... This Build turned out Fantastic. I love it Brother!! You did one heck of a job on it. I can not wait to see it in person. I Know I have been sick since the weekend but Did I hear that correctly that you are possibly going to be starting a 1/16th scale build?? All of these years of me twisting your arm is finally working?? :P:lol::lol: 

I know I have been sick since the weekend but did I hear that correctly that you are possibly going to be starting a 1/16th scale build?? All of these years of me twisting your arm is finally working?? :P:lol::lol: 

It must be the medications you're taken.   :D

I have plans on a 1/16 scale build in the near future so that I can get the use of my arm back. Just not sure if its next or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last weekend, I entered the Walt's Puffer Too in the Replica category at DSC here in Phoenix and am pleased to report it took top honors. I had to provide documentation along with photos to demonstrate accuracy of the 1:1 vehicle. Here's a pic from the show..

SideShotDSC-vi.jpg

Edited by gasser59

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I dug up this old thread to enjoy it again, as I'm thinking of getting into a vintage Altered T project. 

For anyone who hasn't seen this thread before, go get a cup of coffee, sit back, relax, and prepare to learn stuff. Enjoy the ride! B)