Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Aw Come ON! You can't just drop something like that without POADS of Pictures can you????!!!

I wish I could oblige, Ed. Unfortunately, my little toy camera wasn't up to the task. I tried taking pictures, but the lack of any telephoto, and the stupid "digital delay" made it almost impossible. I couldn't get the timing down so that there was a car on the screen when the "shutter" went off.

Here is the link to the group that was running: http://www.vrgonline.org/. Lots of pics on there. The event today is called the Jefferson 500.

"Check the laws in your state.  I know in New Jersey it's called dealing without a license.  They will challenge you if you create a paper trail of buying and selling several cars in a year.  The criteria for getting a dealers license was having an official business zoned lot,  commercial insurance and a few other things.  "

That's good advice for anyone with any kind of business plan,but we already did all of that months ago (key words there were "...we did LOTS (and LOTS) of researching and planning on..." ;) ),fortunately,this is Tennessee,not Jersey :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

The wife said her 2002 ford focus was acting funny. " Vibrates when foot on brake pedal and in R or D. I went out and poked around for a while.

I found that the motor mounts were broken, causing the vibration.IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.be419fd9eb200de8ef614

I also found that the transaxle mount to still be in good working order. picked up 2 new mounts. to remove the passenger side mount I had to remove the timing belt cover. Local service shop did the timing belt 3 weeks ago. when looking at the cover I saw where they broke it and then tried to cover/fix it with superglue. but superglue makes fume burns on hard black plastic that show up white. some one tried to cover the burn marks with dark grease. never said a thing when the wife picked it up.

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.1f90bd16395d9f0b7dfb7

after replacing the mounts (yes I did them in the driveway) I took a test drive and found the brakes were awful. took it home and replaced the front brake pads, much better now.

When I removed the front drivers wheel I was shocked, the sway bar link was not attached at the sway bar and the struts were dead.

IMG_1195.thumb.jpg.871863467c69a0b12c418IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.811e31cbca79ab53eb8e1

took my 3rd trip to Oreilys auto parts, nice friendly people. picked up 2 new sway bar links and a pair of struts. Once again I made a mess in the driveway, but now the car is "like" new and my wife was happy and I still have a Sunday to my self.  Total cost $235.00 + blood and sweat. You ask - Why does this make me happy? It's because the wife was pushing for a new car at $17,000. But shes happy with the focus, and that is what pleased me today.

IMG_1171.thumb.jpg.6a2ca431915db09a304d1

I think its a pretty little thing.

Jonathan

great job jonathan !   glad you fixed it yourself and you saved some money. I had a focus with the same motor mount problem.

the vibration noise drove me nuts til I figured out what it was. I also fixed it myself.

Nice work on the Focus, Jonathan. Self-reliance is a great way to save some money AND make sure the chimps don't break any more parts. :D

That's a kinda cool little car. I don't honestly think I even knew there was such a thing as a Focus wagon. I may have to find out more about those.

Pics of the 2 (2 posts) I bought to resell,sorry it took a few days,been uber busy all week,and fighting a chest cold on top of it.

2002 Malibu,V6/auto,CC,power windows/locks,cold A/C,cd player,etc,etc. Interior's in great shape (just a bit dirty from previous owner,haven't cleaned it up yet where I've been sick)--IDK why they had that cover over the driver's seat,it's in great shape (I took it off the next day after shooting these pics). It ran and drove great on the nearly 80 mile trip home. Body's straight,paint flaking off in a few places,and 1 spot of rust (see last pic). 2 not-related people have expressed semi-serious interest in it already,one of them asked if a $500 deposit would hold it until their next payday (supposed to bring it early this week,though I told them it's not "held" until cash is in hand),so it may be sold.

...and the '97 GMC Jimmy. This one sold already (to the guy in the pic standing there),so I only shot a couple pics of it.

DSCF1581.jpg

DSCF1580_1.jpg

With 1 sold,and one pending in less than a week (it was 2 days,actually on the Jimmy,he picked it up on the 3rd day) after having gotten started in this,looks like we're off to a good start in this venture (it won't always go like that,LOL,but that would be nice :P ),knock on wood :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

The wife said her 2002 ford focus was acting funny. " Vibrates when foot on brake pedal and in R or D. I went out and poked around for a while.

I found that the motor mounts were broken, causing the vibration.IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.be419fd9eb200de8ef614

I also found that the transaxle mount to still be in good working order. picked up 2 new mounts. to remove the passenger side mount I had to remove the timing belt cover. Local service shop did the timing belt 3 weeks ago. when looking at the cover I saw where they broke it and then tried to cover/fix it with superglue. but superglue makes fume burns on hard black plastic that show up white. some one tried to cover the burn marks with dark grease. never said a thing when the wife picked it up.

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.1f90bd16395d9f0b7dfb7

after replacing the mounts (yes I did them in the driveway) I took a test drive and found the brakes were awful. took it home and replaced the front brake pads, much better now.

When I removed the front drivers wheel I was shocked, the sway bar link was not attached at the sway bar and the struts were dead.

IMG_1195.thumb.jpg.871863467c69a0b12c418IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.811e31cbca79ab53eb8e1

took my 3rd trip to Oreilys auto parts, nice friendly people. picked up 2 new sway bar links and a pair of struts. Once again I made a mess in the driveway, but now the car is "like" new and my wife was happy and I still have a Sunday to my self.  Total cost $235.00 + blood and sweat. You ask - Why does this make me happy? It's because the wife was pushing for a new car at $17,000. But shes happy with the focus, and that is what pleased me today.

IMG_1171.thumb.jpg.6a2ca431915db09a304d1

I think its a pretty little thing.

Jonathan

I would like a Focus wagon. Great little cars for scootin' around town in.

Those motor mounts, from what I'm told, are a pretty common problem, but very easy to fix, as you discovered. As I recall, it's about 1-1/2 hours for the both of them. 

Charlie Larkin

Great news for me I have been approved to get Care at UCSF Medical Hospital ?

UCSF is Among the top ten in the Nation this is the place where the Sick of the Sick go. 

Well my bags are packed and iam ready and iam very excited yet very nervous 

but I have lots of Faith that I will get better because this SLE "Lupus" really is a terrible thing 

Crazy Jim if you read this have faith in medical been following your thread sure wish you the Best also. 

just had to share this wonderful news 

Edited by XJ6

Feeling some better after 3 days of weakness from MS. I get attacks from time to time and after 24 years i does not take much to put you down for a while. Stress of worrying if my wife will have a job after today is not helping. She is a wonderful lady and this happen to her once and she is very upset.... 

Feeling some better after 3 days of weakness from MS. I get attacks from time to time and after 24 years i does not take much to put you down for a while. Stress of worrying if my wife will have a job after today is not helping. She is a wonderful lady and this happen to her once and she is very upset.... 

gee sure hope you get to feeling better and all goes well, Good Luck ?

Keep the faith Carl, Things have a way of working out. Just not the way we think always.

We had an absolutely over the top "Active Shooter" drill at my state office building this evening.  Over 200 role players, 3 suspects firing weapons and two simulated IED's. A little bit of fun for everyone.

When the smoke cleared and the dust settled, my merry little band of detectives and I were told we outperformed most of the large SWAT teams participating. 

Now, this was NOT a competition, we were not graded and the sole purpose was to train hard for when it really occurs. The goal was for the upper brass to spot difficulties and rectify them. 

I told my peeps to get in there and take care of business. Don't get distracted and listen to me. Our goal was to march toward the sound of the gunfire, identify the threat and neutralize it. No fancy "tacticool" equipment, no "star wars looking"  rifles, just me and six motivated police officers. Squad #2 kicked azz. 

Those kids did me proud tonight.   

G

Last night I was given 11 Revell snap kit Camaros left over from the make and take at the NNL North this last weekend. Members of the committee that run the show were kind enough to donate the kits, which are going to go to some autistic kids at one of the elementary schools I work at. I was given a couple of old glue kit this last winter that some of the kids tried building with not very good results. So I start looking at the idea of getting the snap kits. The cost was such, I needed some help. Hoping I could find someone to donate the kits. I tried several different sources with no luck. Finely, I brought it up in our local model car club meeting. One of our members is on the committee that runs the local NNL. He said he'd be wiling look into the fact they had extra make and take kits after last year's NNL. The catch was we had to wait until after this year's NNL to see if there would still be any kits left over. Thankfully for the kids and I there were.

I want to put out a special thanks to Bob Maderich and Mark Rollie from the NNL North for their direct help in this. And to the other guys behind the scenes who decided to donate the kits. Thank you. I looking forward to give out these kits, and helping the kids learn to build, in some cases, their first model.