Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Last night I was given 11 Revell snap kit Camaros left over from the make and take at the NNL North this last weekend. Members of the committee that run the show were kind enough to donate the kits, which are going to go to some autistic kids at one of the elementary schools I work at. I was given a couple of old glue kit this last winter that some of the kids tried building with not very good results. So I start looking at the idea of getting the snap kits. The cost was such, I needed some help. Hoping I could find someone to donate the kits. I tried several different sources with no luck. Finely, I brought it up in our local model car club meeting. One of our members is on the committee that runs the local NNL. He said he'd be wiling look into the fact they had extra make and take kits after last year's NNL. The catch was we had to wait until after this year's NNL to see if there would still be any kits left over. Thankfully for the kids and I there were.

I want to put out a special thanks to Bob Maderich and Mark Rollie from the NNL North for their direct help in this. And to the other guys behind the scenes who decided to donate the kits. Thank you. I looking forward to give out these kits, and helping the kids learn to build, in some cases, their first model.

Fantastic.

I got a few kits to do a build day with Squires (sort of like Cub Scouts for DeMolay,) from MassCar, and the kids really enjoyed themselves. We want to do another one.

Charlie Larkin

We had an absolutely over the top "Active Shooter" drill at my state office building this evening.  Over 200 role players, 3 suspects firing weapons and two simulated IED's. A little bit of fun for everyone.

When the smoke cleared and the dust settled, my merry little band of detectives and I were told we outperformed most of the large SWAT teams participating. 

Now, this was NOT a competition, we were not graded and the sole purpose was to train hard for when it really occurs. The goal was for the upper brass to spot difficulties and rectify them. 

I told my peeps to get in there and take care of business. Don't get distracted and listen to me. Our goal was to march toward the sound of the gunfire, identify the threat and neutralize it. No fancy "tacticool" equipment, no "star wars looking"  rifles, just me and six motivated police officers. Squad #2 kicked azz. 

Those kids did me proud tonight.   

G

Congrats on the great teamwork and grizzled leadership, G!   Old skool still rools!

Just to let you guys know. The kids at the one school I work at, started on their Revell snap Camaros today. With mixed results. Despite being a snap kit, these little buggers are not that easy to put together. We only had a half-hour to work on them today. So no one got their's finished. But, they all seemed pretty please and enjoyed working on the kits. One kid threw a bit of fit when told he was told that he could not bring his home today, and finish there. The teacher wants this to be a class project. Everybody learning together. At the same time. Including her. She has never built one before herself. I will be back there next Thursday and Friday, so hopefully we'll get them finished then.

I think I got more boxes of models loaded into the Chevy Cruze rental car for tomorrow's SCMA show in Simpsonville this year than I was able to stuff in my old Nissan Rogue last year! So much for SUVs and alleged space!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends tomorrow and more importantly, thinning out the stash and replenishing the savings account!

Just to let you guys know. The kids at the one school I work at, started on their Revell snap Camaros today. With mixed results. Despite being a snap kit, these little buggers are not that easy to put together. We only had a half-hour to work on them today. So no one got their's finished. But, they all seemed pretty please and enjoyed working on the kits. One kid threw a bit of fit when told he was told that he could not bring his home today, and finish there. The teacher wants this to be a class project. Everybody learning together. At the same time. Including her. She has never built one before herself. I will be back there next Thursday and Friday, so hopefully we'll get them finished then.

Awesome, Scott!

Just as an idea- bring in a few of your builds, too. The kids like seeing what you're up to, too.

Charlie Larkin

Remembering Armed Forces Day.... Thank You To all who have Served. Currently Active, and those who have paid the Ultimate Sacrifice!

Proud to be the Father of Major Amanda Jane Rasmussen.... Call Sign "ZAP"

Edited by jwrass

I am pleased that I am sitting in my home at my computer and contemplating going out to dinner!  Why am I pleased with something so simple?   Well, this is the Go-Live weekend for the software project I have lived, breathed and slept for the past year and a half.  

It is going very well. The real techies got everything loaded and configured ahead of schedule.  On the business side we were able to do our configurations early and finished up at midnight last night, a task that should've begun at four AM!  

Instead of sleeping in an office chair I was able to sleep in my own bed and go in this morning. Again, by 6pm we had completed everything that should have been done overnight tonight.  We have our  "Release For Use" memo,  which will allow us to load in users and such tomorrow during the day. (again, instead of overnight!)

Took my son and his wife and my 4 grand daughters out to eat last night. I have to add i also have a soon to be 12 son with us also. Very nice and pleasing night. Only problem was who was going to ride home with Pop paw....

Yesterday I went to the DMV to renew my drivers license. 45 minutes in and out. Not bad ! And yes, I did get a new one.

Well done Ray, Walking is so Overrated:D  Funny when my Wife n I moved to Arizona we got quite a shock when we found out our Licenses were good for 16 Years! Man I love this Place!!

Edited by Crazy Ed

Took my son and his wife and my 4 grand daughters out to eat last night. I have to add i also have a soon to be 12 son with us also. Very nice and pleasing night. Only problem was who was going to ride home with Pop paw....

I'd say the only problem is Who's gonna pay the Bill:rolleyes: Sounds like good times Carl.

Yesterday I went to the DMV to renew my drivers license. 45 minutes in and out. Not bad ! And yes, I did get a new one.

I had to get license plate tabs for my car yesterday. I always go to a local suburban city hall where the line are either nil or very short. Less than 10 minutes and I'm good for another year of driving. Too bad they don't renew the driver's license there too.

Edited by unclescott58

Got up early and went for a long drive in my ratty-looking (good running) old beater truck. Almost no idiot traffic, all the morons still sleepy-bye, clear roads. Lotsa fun. With the 5-speed and the new radials, it's almost like driving an old-style hot-rod.

Also just realized there's a robin's nest in the tree outside my office window. Buncha baby birds in it too. :D

Took MrsG out last night and had a swell time. 

Today I'm going to sit at home, work on some plastic and quietly contemplate the meaning of Memorial Day.

40+ years after the fact, I have come to the conclusion that it was worth it.

Semper Fi shipmates, may you have fair winds and following seas until we meet again to guard the streets of heaven.

G

PS, Bill I have humming birds all over my back yard!

Cute lil buggers.

Well, I had a good ride on my mountain bike this morning. And this afternoon we were invited over to a neighbor for a Memorial Day BBQ and had a nice time there too. Plus my neighbor's daughter likes cars and wants to see my car models.

Today is my 35th wedding anniversary.  We can say it went fast, but there's a lot of miles on our tires!  

And I didn't have to work this weekend!  Our software Go-Live went well enough that we all agreed to break down our 24 hr command center for the weekend. We told users to report issues to the company 24 hr help desk.  We did have a 15 minute meeting scheduled for 4pm every day, but I saw those cancelled on Saturday afternoon.  We didn't have one help desk ticket!  There was a chance I would have been there all weekend! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

Today is my 35th wedding anniversary.  We can say it went fast, but there's a lot of miles on our tires!  

And I didn't have to work this weekend!  Our software Go-Live went well enough that we all agreed to break down our 24 hr command center for the weekend. We told users to report issues to the company 24 hr help desk.  We did have a 15 minute meeting scheduled for 4pm every day, but I saw those cancelled on Saturday afternoon.  We didn't have one help desk ticket!  There was a chance I would have been there all weekend! 

Happy anniversary and congrats on your successful software project live intro. :D

Follow up on the above. We again today worked on the kits with the kids. Knowing more what to expect, we took more time and figured out how to explain and build things better. A big step with the Revell snap Camaro is do not put in the grille and then snap in the headlights and fog lights as per instructions. Attach them first. Then install the grille. We started seven kits a week and a half ago Friday. We finished eight kits today!

By the way, the kids were all 3rd and 4th grade boys with autism. They all had a good time in the end. In fact several asked if I could bring them more models in the next school year. The teacher was pleased with how well this project went. She was pleased to see how well they took to it. And in times of frustration, had the patients and willingness to ask for help.

it was great fun. The models turned out pretty good. Some parts broke, and I had to use a little glue for some fixes (I did not let them personally handle the glue). Some parts were missed in certain steps. But for the most part they were pieces so minor and they went unnoticed. In some cases stickers went on crooked. A couple kids thought the Camaro license plate looked best on the left rear fender. Just behind the door. One kid was a perfectionist. Other than a missing spoiler (and not mentioning it to him), his car was perfect. Every sticker in its proper stop. He really worked hard on get the side marker lights lined up right. Some kids did some extra decorating with permanent markers. All of the kids were proud and delighted with what they got to bring home.

The question of whether or not we'll do it again? I don't know? But I hope so. As my budget sits, it's hard for me to go out and buy enough kits for kids I'm working with. I was blessed and thankful that the NNL North was able to donate us the 10 kits we got. (The left over two will be given to kids at the school who show interest.) So, I'm putting out the word. If anybody has and are willing to donate, preferably snap kits, I would love to take them and teach more kid about the joys of model building. It was a great experience. And hopefully we started some future modelers on their way to a new hobby.

And again, a very big thank to the NNL North for donating the kits we got.