Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

All the fallen tree branches from Hurricane Irma stacked up around the neighborhood were picked up yesterday. 

The mailman delivered the latest copy of the other model car magazine.  If MCM continues it's current trend of delivery, my subscription should be good until about 2025.

Edited by crazyjim

Then you'll be a "happy camper" as it's always nice to take delivery of a new truck or car. I did just last year.

In my business, I take delivery of a new truck every few months. But this one will be sticking around a while, as it checks all the boxes for me. I drive a similar one last year, and regret letting it move on.

So of course, I factory order this one in August, and get excited, then it gets delayed. 

Ahh well, it's only a week away now!

In my business, I take delivery of a new truck every few months. But this one will be sticking around a while, as it checks all the boxes for me. I drive a similar one last year, and regret letting it move on.

So of course, I factory order this one in August, and get excited, then it gets delayed. 

Ahh well, it's only a week away now!

My truck was also  a "special order" and fits me to a T. As far as I know it'll be the last truck I'll be buying as I kept my previous truck for 13 1/2  years.

Garage is a little further along. I was finally able to speak with the Amish contractor who is going to do the concrete slab. Had to mail him a letter with my contact numbers and best times to reach me. I found that having to slow down and wait for a reply (instead of getting frustrated because I didn't get instant gratification) to be refreshing.

garage.jpg

Garage is a little further along. I was finally able to speak with the Amish contractor who is going to do the concrete slab. Had to mail him a letter with my contact numbers and best times to reach me. I found that having to slow down and wait for a reply (instead of getting frustrated because I didn't get instant gratification) to be refreshing.

You can bet it will be well built. Their work is outstanding.

garage.jpg

I'd love a garage like this!

Doesn't the concrete go down first?

Nope! Around here anyway, most buildings get the foundations done, then the structure goes up, then the rebar and flooring in. Not sure why, but it's pretty common. :)

Nope! Around here anyway, most buildings get the foundations done, then the structure goes up, then the rebar and flooring in. Not sure why, but it's pretty common. :)

Must be a regional thing. Most shop construction I've seen pours the footings and floors first, tied together with rebar, and with threaded fasteners sticking up. The walls get tied to those. Kinda helps keep the whole thing from blowing away when the weather gets hairy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Going so deep must be because of cold and the ground heaving.

Is your model area going to be on the second floor?  Will you continue to send pics after completion? Please?

Yes, have to get below the frost line. Model area is staying in the basement of my house, but I may move my paint booth out into the garage eventually. Second floor will be for storage, so I can get some of the junk out of the house.

This building is mainly so I have a place to store/work on my cars.

This is a pole building. Building is supported by posts about 6 feet in the ground. Concrete floor is poured after the building is up. I am getting a 6" deep slab throughout.

Is that going to be thick enough to support a hoist? If I had a garage that big, I'd be building that into the cost for sure!

Would love to be able to get my cars off the ground. Would make it so much easier to change wheels, do oil changes, change suspension and brakes. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Is that going to be thick enough to support a hoist? If I had a garage that big, I'd be building that into the cost for sure!

Would love to be able to get my cars off the ground. Would make it so much easier to change wheels, do oil changes, change suspension and brakes. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

There are hobby lifts that only require a 4" thick slab. I will not be using one often, so a hobby lift will work fine for me.

Surprised that no one has commented on the deer in the photo.

I am retired USAF for almost 30 years now and drive a school bus; keeps me out from under the wife's feet.  I drive for the local Middle/High School.  One of my students is a special needs child, although rather high functioning.  My favorite hat is one stating that I am a USAF retired MSgt.  Today this student asked if I had been in the military, then asked if I was a veteran.  He then said he could tell by the way I walked and acted.  Anyway a little later he tapped me on the shoulder and passed me a note.  It basically thanked me for my service to the USA and without what I (we, all veterans) did we would all be dead.  This one will definitely go into my keeper folder of all the special things my students have given me.

OOPS, didn't mean to attach this post to the one above it.

Edited by TarheelRick