Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

20 minutes ago, High octane said:

Get well soon Joe as the swap meet at the Du Page County Fairgrounds in Wheaton is next month. Hope to see you there.

Thanks Nick,  other than my sinuses constantly running, an annoying cough, and, a voice that comes and goes (lets just say working the phones is interesting right now), I'm doing way better now! I do plan on going to  Dupage next month, haven't missed one since my sudden career change made it possible!

Spoke to my oldest brother who is battling cancer again, this time it's in several different spots and hasn't been doing well. He just went through some rough days doing radiation treatment and is feeling fatigued but is in less pain, a sign the tumors are shrinking! Prayers have helped but we are also hopeful that the doctors are on the right path with this treatment. He has had a rough 5 years and losing our parents in the middle of this fight has only made it harder on him. I remain optimistic that he will beat this.

Edited by mikemodeler

On 2018-01-25 at 1:13 PM, dieseldawg142 said:

that turned out not bad Cale...pretty easy fixin's

first thing you should do is hit up craigslist or something and see if you can get your self a buzz box, a 110v  mig. it will come in very handy all over 55 yr old sheetmetal. Like yours, mine is a base model (custom deluxe) and had nothing in the interior except a cruddy old rubber mat, and with 3" dual exhaust and 39" swampers, you had to yell at your passenger just to be heard...:D

here's a little incentive to keep ya going...

I had a little rust too and I had to change the sheetmetal around the t-case shifter, case is dropped an inch and the only way it would stay in 4 lo was to hold it there with my foot...

041_opt.jpg.b7504bda99d9ef4e8311da54816717ea.jpgIMG_0885_opt.jpg.c05a5af14976a6e98126a981d94a7b0f.jpg031_opt.jpg.3ed6726dfb7f28d636913f153c939dce.jpg

the rear was in better shape ...

189_opt.jpg.9048aa77181a3f8163be04e3500dbdae.jpg 

some rust neutralization, three coats of POR 15 paint.........................some dyno-mat......................................................................................some closed cell foam

219_opt.jpg.f97b841463e01d83546b28a24b1a8895.jpg058_opt.jpg.13e73bbd03bbdd3c9986966f790cb56d.jpg061_opt.jpg.9270dfc7dd6ec14e05ff337b185af369.jpg

some mass loaded vinyl....................................................................and an awesome vinyl floor from ACC

075_opt.jpg.3aa4c07e54229461b6f2d3ae255fae48.jpg5a69c341699be_072_opt(1).jpg.62074285b3ce6d8dd7967b851b01f670.jpg

and seats back in (King ranch super duty power/heated seats)

IMG_0940_opt.jpg.a2323e831d282d4d508290a6e54db8cf.jpg083_opt.jpg.64cd4ad20c8ae1dd9f294ff65fc3d56e.jpg

about 7-800 hundred all in (minus the dash) plus lots of elbow grease....was it worth it? heck ya, it's almost limo quiet inside and can talk in a normal tone now going down the freeway...

373_opt.jpg.6e65378cffa7c9ef627a08a6f7a98897.jpgIMG_1700_opt.jpg.b9887463b90e63661f59bfcafcf01c7a.jpgIMG_1701_opt.jpg.47d33a3a09284b483f5a9702eac1a325.jpg

What engine do you have in yours?
This makes me want to start work on my  -82 C20 with 6.2
Mechanicaly there are no problems exept glowplugs (have those) and leaking fueltanks, the worst part is all the rust on it.
The previous owner did not take care of it at all and only "repaired" rust by welding new metal ontop of the rusted part...
As a result of that the rockerpanel just fell of when i was washing it one day...
I just threw the panel in the cab and parked it in a corner of the yard because i felt like i dont want to deal with this now, and it has been sitting there for a few years now.

The past two years, the home town's youth basketball (and baseball) teams have been in a 'rec' league that they don't belong in.  If we're playing teams where four graders are showing up with $400 Mizuno bats, it's NOT a recreational league.  His basketball teams were getting blown out each week so I signed him up this year elsewhere and he's having fun again even though his team is just over .500 with only seven kids on the team.  He is not the stud on the team and none of the kids on the team has a Dad that feels the need to live vicariously through his son on the team.  I'm assistant coach and a couple of the other Dad's step in at practices as well.  

On 1/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, mikemodeler said:

Spoke to my oldest brother who is battling cancer again, this time it's in several different spots and hasn't been doing well. He just went through some rough days doing radiation treatment and is feeling fatigued but is in less pain, a sign the tumors are shrinking! Prayers have helped but we are also hopeful that the doctors are on the right path with this treatment. He has had a rough 5 years and losing our parents in the middle of this fight has only made it harder on him. I remain optimistic that he will beat this.

I hope everything works out for your brother.  Your family has been through a lot.

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I realized today that I'm actually going to finish a kit tomorrow. :)

Great feeling isn't it! I took off for weather yesterday and finished off TWO that have been parked on my workbench shooting me dirty looks for over a year now. NEXT! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Great feeling isn't it! I took off for weather yesterday and finished off TWO that have been parked on my workbench shooting me dirty looks for over a year now. NEXT! B)

That's what I NEED to do is "finish" something. I only have 10 or less model car kits started and I need to push myself to finish a couple before the Milwaukee NNL in April. A goal I could probably do if I spend my time more wisely and park my butt at the workbench, as they certainly aren't gonna get finished by lookin' at 'em.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:24 AM, HomerS said:

The past two years, the home town's youth basketball (and baseball) teams have been in a 'rec' league that they don't belong in.  If we're playing teams where four graders are showing up with $400 Mizuno bats, it's NOT a recreational league.  His basketball teams were getting blown out each week so I signed him up this year elsewhere and he's having fun again even though his team is just over .500 with only seven kids on the team.  He is not the stud on the team and none of the kids on the team has a Dad that feels the need to live vicariously through his son on the team.  I'm assistant coach and a couple of the other Dad's step in at practices as well.  

I am glad you were able to get this worked out, and more importantly, your son is having fun again.  I remember those days and not very fondly.  With our kids, it always seemed like there was a team or a group of parents on a team that could suck the fun out of every season.

4 hours ago, High octane said:

That's what I NEED to do is "finish" something. I only have 10 or less model car kits started and I need to push myself to finish a couple before the Milwaukee NNL in April. A goal I could probably do if I spend my time more wisely and park my butt at the workbench, as they certainly aren't gonna get finished by lookin' at 'em.

Oh absolutely. The mojo comes and goes. I just finished one Sunday (that I started around 1992) and that gave me the mental boost I needed to finish off two more yesterday. Now I gotta find something else I can kick through the goalposts while I'm on a roll. B)

I got out of the office to go visit several clients in the town of Jasper yesterday. Jasper is (obviously) in Jasper National Park. Dark sky preserve, highly untouched and natural. Almost no chainstores or restaurants, very strict regulations regarding development and expansion. How it should be. When I became "the boss" I passed almost all of myh clients to the account managers working under me. But I kept all of my Jasper clients, because quite frnakly I like going to see them. One ski jill, two tourist destinations, two major hotel groups, two tour operators, and a half dozen or so individuals. My goal is to take over the town andhave every new vehicle going top Jasper getting there through me. Then I move my office there. lolz.

Anyway, spending the day in the mountains always rejuvinates me. I was working (tehcnically) but it never feels like it when I'm there.

And yes, I take a lot of truck pictures. :)

IMG_20180209_1013086.jpg

IMG_20180209_1013337.jpg

IMG_20180209_1053054.jpg

IMG_20180209_1332043.jpg

This weekend is the seventh annual My Furry Valentine at the Convention Center.  Numerous animal rescues and animal shelters come to one place to help find homes for dogs, cat rabbits and other assorted homeless animals.  Each of the past two years, at the event and remote locations (shelters who participated from their base) have found homes for over 800 animals.  As of the end of today, 493 animals have a new home tonight.  Some of the rescues were cleared of the animals that they brought.

I've been one of the volunteers since the first year and it's been great to see it outgrow it's first location.  I took off Friday afternoon to help rescue/pet food pantry I work with set up their usual top notch booth.  The wife is nervous until I walk in the door empty handed as I can easily come home with a fifth dog.

One of the shelters we've adopted from DOES has Husky puppy that needs help with socialization.........