Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

My son (fifth grade) had his basketball tournament this past weekend.  A technical was called on his team so the biggest player on the other team went to the line.  The gym fell oddly quiet for the shooter.  His first shot was shot and hit the front of the rim.  From across the gym, I hear the younger sister (maybe 5-ish) of my son's teammate in a sweet little girl voice "MISSED"!  The mom was mortified as the whole gym heard it.  I'm assistant coach and about fell off the bench laughing.

Modern technology!  I spent the morning on the company conference line developing plans with two colleagues in France.  I was sitting in my kitchen, my software guru was in New Jersey and the fellows in France were at two different locations.  Yet we shared a computer and a powerful program, taking turns having control.  And this is just normal!

The downside is when we finished up, I had lunch but the French guys were done for the day!

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I was able to convince Marcia that we don't want to go to Colorado to visit her brother and should go to Arizona instead.  Just like the original plan.  So we're going to Phoenix, Sedona, and Williams.  YEA!!

I love Sedona. I plan to go back again next year. Enjoy your trip !

18 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Modern technology!  I spent the morning on the company conference line developing plans with two colleagues in France.  I was sitting in my kitchen, my software guru was in New Jersey and the fellows in France were at two different locations.  Yet we shared a computer and a powerful program, taking turns having control.  And this is just normal!

The downside is when we finished up, I had lunch but the French guys were done for the day!

It's great...this morning I was on my sofa surrounded by dozing dogs, looking out at the snow in my backyard, on a video conference w/ colleagues in Arizona, Texas, India and Barbados, walking through changes to a system we are all working on.    I don't miss working in a cubicle. 

I live in Prescott!  The first forum I joined was the MINI Cooper forum (northamericanmotoring) in September 2005.  When I was sitting at the computer, trying to think of a screen name, thought "where would I rather be, than here?"  What came to mind was blasting over to Jerome on 89A, so I came up with 89AKurt, sort of curves off the tongue.  Posted 12,295 times!  :o  Love to mountain bike ride, Sedona is almost as cool as Moab, Utah.

I stayed in my room ate ramen twice and a microwaveable velveeta cheese cup, cause my ride to work chickened out cause of snow, so i lost a days pay as the blizzard cleared about two hours after i called into work, i ordered a buick grand national kit for $39.00 that could have gotten at wally world back when i was growing up for $8.99. watched a little lee camp and dedacted tonight looked at all the beautiful news online, and came here and found this post. So that said venting here on this post is probably the best and safest part of my day. Cheers, I wish i had a gallon of cheap conerstore black berry wine and the rest of the night would be off the chain.

I was out there for Arizona Bike Week in 2000 and it was awesome.  I remember riding to Tombstone and that's about it.  This time we'll be tourists going to the Grand Canyon on a train and then down inside on a bus.  Hotel is Sedona looks out at red rocks.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, EightyHotRod said:

I stayed in my room ate ramen twice and a microwaveable velveeta cheese cup, cause my ride to work chickened out cause of snow, so i lost a days pay as the blizzard cleared about two hours after i called into work, i ordered a buick grand national kit for $39.00 that could have gotten at wally world back when i was growing up for $8.99. watched a little lee camp and dedacted tonight looked at all the beautiful news online, and came here and found this post. So that said venting here on this post is probably the best and safest part of my day. Cheers, I wish i had a gallon of cheap conerstore black berry wine and the rest of the night would be off the chain.

We used to call that "Cabin Fever" when you got snowed in.

14 hours ago, James2 said:

Here we call it "Black Eye Season" when we get snowed in.

Heh!  Even sunny Southern California has something similar, those nerve-scraping Santa Ana winds.  As described by Raymond Chandler in "Red Wind:"

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen." 

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Heh!  Even sunny Southern California has something similar, those nerve-scraping Santa Ana winds.  As described by Raymond Chandler in "Red Wind:"

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen." 

I've always tried to avoid those kind of parties. I have already had an ex-wife try to drown me once years ago. Since then I have found associating with women with out issues of mental illness in their back ground to be the best policy.   

I am now at Sky Harbor . Flight to Chicago departs in an hour . Wife and I both had pre boarding so no taking off shoes and all the other BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH . Landing in Chicago about 2 am . I suspect it will be much colder there than here in Az. 

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I am now at Sky Harbor . Flight to Chicago departs in an hour . Wife and I both had pre boarding so no taking off shoes and all the other BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH . Landing in Chicago about 2 am . I suspect it will be much colder there than here in Az. 

Oh yes, 'bout the mid 20's so you'll need your hat and jackets. Maybe even colder at 2 a.m. Will you be at the World of Wheels Car Show this weekend, or no?

Just worked my last planned day shift. Starting Monday I am back to second shift (2:30 to 11pm). Could vary a bit but no more getting up at 7am to be there at 9.

Unless I totally screw this up, but I am pretty confident I have most of what I need down. Boss isn't expecting perfection or 100% right away.

Russ

Well , been here in Chicago for a few days with about a week to go . Daughter lives in Lincoln Park near the lake . Walked there yesterday . I remember why they call Chicago the Windy City . Pretty windy and cold but I enjoyed it . Paid 30 bucks for a dozen donuts ! What the heck ? Today my wife and I are taking the el to meet my daughter for lunch . Wish me luck !  This week I will be seeing a friend of 50 years and also a couple of cousins . It’s colder than Phoenix but having a good time . 

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Well , been here in Chicago for a few days with about a week to go . Daughter lives in Lincoln Park near the lake . Walked there yesterday . I remember why they call Chicago the Windy City . Pretty windy and cold but I enjoyed it . Paid 30 bucks for a dozen donuts ! What the heck ? Today my wife and I are taking the el to meet my daughter for lunch . Wish me luck !  This week I will be seeing a friend of 50 years and also a couple of cousins . It’s colder than Phoenix but having a good time . 

How do gold leaf donuts taste? Never tried any.