Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

A few months ago, the pet food pantry I worked with shut down (due to lack of donations and a permanent home) but their sister program (dog rescue) continues on.  Today they were doing pictures with Santa at PetSmart.  They had some volunteers bail on them so I reached out and jumped in to be a photographer.  I enjoy doing stuff like this and the wife goes into DEFCON 1 mode concerned I will come home with dog number 5.

A lady came in with a decent sized dog with a muzzle in hand, a cone on his nose and a big sign on his back DO NOT PET.  I'm thinking she brought CuJo in to get his picture with Santa but this thing may eat Santa.  As she watched the dog interact with me and gained trust in me, I got the back story of his mistreatment/abuse before she rescued him so he has a serious distrust of people...anyone.  She 'disarmed' the dog as Santa handed him a treat and I got down on the floor with him and he cautiously took them.  You could still see the fear in his eyes as not knowing what was going to happen next.  She got him to sit like an angel in front of Santa and I got an epic pic with Santa on the first try.  Afterwards I snuck him a couple more treats so he would see not everyone he meets wants to harm him....he was the proverbial gentle giant.  I felt bad watching get his nose cone back on as well as the warning sign on his back but I get it.  Too many people, especially kids as well as other dogs that could trigger a bad memory for the big guy, even though he has a great life now.

18 hours ago, HomerS said:

A few months ago, the pet food pantry I worked with shut down (due to lack of donations and a permanent home) but their sister program (dog rescue) continues on.  Today they were doing pictures with Santa at PetSmart.  They had some volunteers bail on them so I reached out and jumped in to be a photographer.  I enjoy doing stuff like this and the wife goes into DEFCON 1 mode concerned I will come home with dog number 5.

A lady came in with a decent sized dog with a muzzle in hand, a cone on his nose and a big sign on his back DO NOT PET.  I'm thinking she brought CuJo in to get his picture with Santa but this thing may eat Santa.  As she watched the dog interact with me and gained trust in me, I got the back story of his mistreatment/abuse before she rescued him so he has a serious distrust of people...anyone.  She 'disarmed' the dog as Santa handed him a treat and I got down on the floor with him and he cautiously took them.  You could still see the fear in his eyes as not knowing what was going to happen next.  She got him to sit like an angel in front of Santa and I got an epic pic with Santa on the first try.  Afterwards I snuck him a couple more treats so he would see not everyone he meets wants to harm him....he was the proverbial gentle giant.  I felt bad watching get his nose cone back on as well as the warning sign on his back but I get it.  Too many people, especially kids as well as other dogs that could trigger a bad memory for the big guy, even though he has a great life now.

Took mine in Friday to be spayed and a few days before we went to the vet to caution them. We had her since she was a pup so not abused but only been around me and girlfriend. They said no problem, they were used to it. While we were there we saw they had a box to donate blankets for shelter pets and girlfriend wanted to get a couple of blankets to donate. She said Walmart had them for $2.50 so I told her she could buy $20.00 worth and I would do the same. We walked in with 16 blankets for what I would pay for one kit. Not much money but it helped a few dogs that won't have a home for Christmas. We brought April in with a muzzle just in case but her vet tech said she was a great patient.

My current residence is within spitting distance from a booming little short-line railroad that operates on trackage that's been in continuous use since the late 1800s (lots of local residents hate it, and have complained to the railroad and the city about the noise...especially the horns at crossings...but I figure if you don't like noisy trains, don't move in close to a railroad). I'm reasonably sure the house I'm in was built as a railroad bunkhouse, judging from the layout of the original part of the structure and the fact that it was originally heated by two coal-burning stoves, and is very close to the location of an old freight yard (I can't be absolutely certain, as records about the property prior to the 1950s have so far eluded me).

Anyway, this AM I heard the train coming and looked out as I usually do, just to watch. Today we had a SIX-unit lashup of vintage EMD GP locomotives, mostly GP38 and GP40 series, some dating back to the mid-1960s (this small railroad just retired its last 567-powered high-hood GP a couple of years back, and though I was sad to see her go, she's going to be preserved rather than scrapped).

It always makes me smile, seeing old machines that have been well maintained, still loyally doing the job they were built for. Many railroads have learned that it's more cost effective to maintain and rebuild old equipment that's relatively simple and VERY WELL BUILT, than it is to replace it with the latest-greatest whiz bang wonders that require more down time for servicing.

8705 in the photo below was the old GP18. The GP18 series was built from 1959 through 1963, so the old girl had a career that spanned at least 50 years. I seriously doubt you'll see any locomotives built today still operating in regular revenue service in another 50 years.

GNRR1.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My current residence is within spitting distance from a booming little short-line railroad that operates on trackage that's been in continuous use since the late 1800s (lots of local residents hate it, and have complained to the railroad and the city about the noise...especially the horns at crossings...but I figure if you don't like noisy trains, don't move in close to a railroad). I'm reasonably sure the house I'm in was built as a railroad bunkhouse, judging from the layout of the original part of the structure and the fact that it was originally heated by two coal-burning stoves, and is very close to the location of an old freight yard (I can't be absolutely certain, as records about the property prior to the 1950s have so far eluded me).

Anyway, this AM I heard the train coming and looked out as I usually do, just to watch. Today we had a SIX-unit lashup of vintage EMD GP locomotives, mostly GP38 and GP40 series, some dating back to the mid-1960s (this small railroad just retired its last 567-powered high-hood GP a couple of years back, and though I was sad to see her go, she's going to be preserved rather than scrapped).

It always makes me smile, seeing old machines that have been well maintained, still loyally doing the job they were built for. Many railroads have learned that it's more cost effective to maintain and rebuild old equipment that's relatively simple and VERY WELL BUILT, than it is to replace it with the latest-greatest whiz bang wonders that require more down time for servicing.

8705 in the photo below was the old GP18. The GP18 series was built from 1959 through 1963, so the old girl had a career that spanned at least 50 years. I seriously doubt you'll see any locomotives built today still operating in regular revenue service in another 50 years.

GNRR1.jpg

Bill, is this in Arizona?

35 minutes ago, slusher said:

Bill, is this in Arizona?

Nope, still in Ga. Even though the Az. property closed at the first of last year, I'm stuck here honoring a commitment I made (2 actually) to finish some work I was called in to do after multiple other folks bodged it. I had thought I'd be done by the end of the year, but one job will probably go on through January, and the other may go several months beyond that.

Interesting aside though...the company that owns the rail line near my Ga. place also owns and operates a short line in the huge industrial park close to the new Az. place.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I used to live in Sacramento Ca. There is a very interesting Rail Road Museum in the Old Sac. portion of the city. They have an indoor display with many different engines and passenger cars plus an old Postal Car that you can walk thru. If anyone has any interest in trains and is in the area it would be well worth the visit. The area also has some great restaurants and is along the Sacramento River. There are many aspects of living in California that I miss, but I'm still glad we moved years ago.   

Welding is a good trade to know and at times can be in demand as well. A lot of welding is done in the construction trades, and at times the trades are looking for good welders. I've known welders who can weld upside down, weld aluminum, and also weld under water. Welding also comes in handy when working on cars and trucks at times also.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

The wife is making a batch of her Christmas chocolate chip cookies.  Goodbye diet !

Mom makes these cookies called "no-bake cookies", it's real Hershey's cocoa, peanut butter, and oatmeal....... you put your ingredients in a pot, bring to heat until the cocoa melts, then spoon them onto wax paper to cool.... I always enjoy them very much.....

On 9-12-2018 at 4:24 AM, HomerS said:

Great story my friend

a dog is a man best friend ??

Edited by Johan020

Woke up without a hangover. Wife and I enjoyed a nice dinner and a bottle of Napa Valley Cab. We talked about life and what we want for the future for us and then went to bed about 11 PM. Just waiting for the Rose Bowl Parade in a few minutes and we'll just enjoy each others company for the rest of the day. We wish all a happy new year.   

Had a nice quiet New Years eve at my daughter's house, with my one year old granddaughter crawling all over me.  

We learned that my daughter was pregnant right after Thanksgiving... and discovered that she's pregnant with TWINS the day after Christmas!  I'm only allowed to announce it today!   :lol:

Man, our New Year will be a busy one!