Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

1 hour ago, oldnslow said:

The hurricane track moved off the coast completely !

Let's hope it stays there or moves further away. The hurricane force winds extend 30 miles out from the eye and high wind up to 105 from the eye. Still can lose power. Got my fingers crossed.

I'm still using VCRs (3 of them), but blank tapes are getting VERY hard to find. I've taken to buying pre-recorded tapes when I can find them and taping over the recording hole. Last weekend, at a couple of yard sales, I was able to score over 70 of them for $20. That should keep me going for another year or so. 

Just got a text from my friend in
MI with the 3 cats, he's just been offered a special needs teacher's assistant job with a $3.00+ per hour increase in pay over his current graveyard shift gas station job!  Orientation starts next week for him!

Edited by Joe Handley

Got the 05' Neon "check engine" light out and the car running great.

My good friend who owns it had been told it needed an engine (!!!) by several wizard "mechanics". They also wanted to do all manner of monkey motion to the trans, as it would stutter and shudder when it upshifted under anything over 1/2 throttle. The codes were cylinder 1 misfire, and cam sensor. They told her it had zero compression on one cylinder too, hence the idiots wanting to swap in a junkyard engine instead of actually diagnosing and fixing the real problem.

As it's essentially a one-owner car, with just over 100,000 miles, I kinda smelled a rodent.

Turned out to actually have slightly low compression on one cylinder, from a weak valve spring. Also had a cracked vacuum line, so it was sucking air on one runner at idle and misfiring when stopped, in drive. The cam-position sensor was also actually bad.

Little car runs like new again, no "engine" light, no idle misfire, no trans-shudder, still good after a 100-mile test drive.    B)

On 9/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, ewetwo said:

Bill. She’s lucky to have you as a friend. ?

She's a real sweetheart, one of the most genuine and kind people I've ever met. Anybody lucky, it's me.

She's not a doormat though. She's got a temper when she's wronged, and she can dig her heels in and be at least as pigheaded as I can...and that's some serious pigheaded.

We've been friends since the early '80s. One of my exes met her some years back and said "she's so phony; nobody could really be that nice".

Yeah, well...she is. But the ex turned out to be kinda phony about a lot of stuff, and not very nice. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

22 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

One of my ex's met her some years back and said "she's so phony; nobody could really be that nice".

I once had a young lady that worked with me who had to be one of the nicest people in the world.  I doubt she ever had an evil thought in her life.  Everyone loved her and nobody could say anything bad about her at all!   But she sucked as a CADD drafter.  She worked earnestly and as hard as she could, but this just wasn't in her aptitude! She somehow created system errors we could not recreate!  She'd call me over and her drawing was upside down on the screen... as in how the heck did you do that?  So I ran key stroke logs on her, I literally wrote Fortran lines in programs  where you deleted stuff that read  "IF*(user)= 'jess' then <quicksave=*(filename)*(date/time)"   just so we could save her work.  We'd run the log files and watch incredible things happen and write protections into the system.   We called it  "Jess Proofing"  and it assured us that nobody could break the system!

As a consequence, everyone else worked harder to cover for her and get our workload out.  But nobody complained! There was no way we could fire her, but she did drag down the department.

Anyway... one day she comes into my office and starts crying.  She then tells me she has a better job offer and will be leaving.  She was so nice she couldn't tell me this without bawling. She felt like she was killing us!    I'm trying to act disappointed, but at the same time assuring her it's okay....  but  inside I was pretty darn pleased!

While I'm currently in a "building slump" I recently gave my grandson a snap kit for his 6th birthday, which was 'bout 2 weeks ago. Finally got around to supervising him with his first build and I believe he is up for another build real soon. Guess a trip with him to the hobby shop is in order in the near future and of course we'll stop for ice cream too. Here he is with his first model, a Revell 2018 Mustang GT.

image.png.53f248e539e3595cbd13f9bd70eb69a7.png

After 1 year,I finally got my friend to attend a cruise night car show that’s held every Tuesday.He agreed to go.I mean it’s not like I was going to beg him.But he agreed and said,it was the best show he saw this whole summer.I wanted to punch em in the face for trying to get down to the show, but I held back LOL...And to top everything ,he got second place for his Chevelle.Next week is the last show at the location.But at least I got him and his gorgeous car.m to the show....And win something.

Beautiful fall weather today... took a drive this evening down through the national park to my favorite custard stand..had a honey cinnamon pecan frozen custard in a chocolate coated waffle cone..delicious.  Drove home w/ the A/C off, windows down and sunroof open...going to get out and enjoy the weather as long as it lasts...

Edited by Rob Hall