Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

6 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

Have to agree here 100%.  All the years (I am 73) that I have made models , sanding them, filling them, painting them and gluing them together, I never wore a mask or anything else. I also did a lot of woodworking, sanding and staining without wearing a mask.

Well about 7 years ago I passed out in the living room, wife dialed 911 and I got a ride to the hospital in the meat wagon, and like Stitchdup the prognosis was that my lungs were shot, almost completely gone. Well I survived, but now I am attached to an oxygen machine 24/7/365. Even when I go out I have to take along a tank of oxygen on a cart. I get 2 hours out of a tank, so if we're going to be out longer than that we have to put a spare tank or two in the trunk. This whole thing is a PITA

Take it from me it ain't no fun.  So as Stitchdup says wear a good mask when doing anything with a model or wood.

Jeff

5 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I don't know the details, but there's an portable oxygen unit that you plug into a power source on a car/truck.  Couple of friends have them.

I was going to ask the same question. Saw them on television...

yes there out there but there darn expense, around 3700.00 for that there thing. I unfortunately can't use one, you have to be able to hold no higher than a 4, they prefer a 3, I have to go up to a constant 5. Thought about cheating and buying one myself and using it as a 4 but the boss (wife) won't let me. Don't know where I would get 3700.00 anyway.

Jeff

18 minutes ago, Cornpatch said:

yes there out there but there darn expense, around 3700.00 for that there thing. I unfortunately can't use one, you have to be able to hold no higher than a 4, they prefer a 3, I have to go up to a constant 5. Thought about cheating and buying one myself and using it as a 4 but the boss (wife) won't let me. Don't know where I would get 3700.00 anyway.

Jeff

Jeff, without oxygen what is your number if I may ask sir?  I understand you can’t be below 90 when they put the tester on your finger.  I am at 94 percent now...

14 hours ago, slusher said:

Jeff, without oxygen what is your number if I may ask sir?  I understand you can’t be below 90 when they put the tester on your finger.  I am at 94 percent now...

Carl I am very seldom without oxygen---if I am I can tell right away.-last time I fell below 90 I passed out and had to be taken to the hospital in the meat wagon-was told when they got here I was at 86-Doctors uped me from a 4 to a 6 on my home oxygen consintrator- and a 5 on my tanks-right now I carry a steady 92 at home- can get to 94 if just sitting watching TV .

4 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

Carl I am very seldom without oxygen---if I am I can tell right away.-last time I fell below 90 I passed out and had to be taken to the hospital in the meat wagon-was told when they got here I was at 86-Doctors uped me from a 4 to a 6 on my home oxygen consintrator- and a 5 on my tanks-right now I carry a steady 92 at home- can get to 94 if just sitting watching TV .

That’s good take care of yourself sir.....

Bought a built model off eBay that I've been trying to find a decent example of for years and years. It came yesterday and it's in even better shape than it looked in the photos, and the price wasn't bad at all. It's so nice I might just lay some minor Snake-Fu on it and put it on the shelf and put off stripping and repainting it until I get a bunch of other stuff done. :D

Found out the local vintage club used my photos for their annual video again this year after the professional they hired ended up being too poor to use. They asked what i'd like for it and i said free entry cos I'm just happy to help them out. I go every year and take pics of everything anyway. I dont know why they keep hiring people to do it, if they think my pics are good enough they're welcome to use them since they raise a lot for local charities from each show

It was Saturday actually. I went to the LHS for some paint and I saw two guys under 70 buying model cars! In fact, they were probably around 40, if not a little younger. One guy had the 1/16 Revell VW bus, the other guy had a Dom's Charger and one other 1/24-25 kit that I didn't see what it was.

Maybe there is a little hope for the hobby!

On 1/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, slusher said:

I was going to ask the same question. Saw them on television...

My wife has COPD do to kemo nearly 20 years ago. She is still able to travel and be active due to her Inogen portable oxygen concentrator. Not cheap by any means but it only weighs about 2-1/2 pounds so it's pretty easy to carry and much easier to use.

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

My wife has COPD do to kemo nearly 20 years ago. She is still able to travel and be active due to her Inogen portable oxygen concentrator. Not cheap by any means but it only weighs about 2-1/2 pounds so it's pretty easy to carry and much easier to use.

And how long does the air supply last in that portable concentrator?