Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

30 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The Beach Boys were on the July 4th show last night and I hate to say they’ve really lost it.   The lead singer lost his singing voice, it was sad.

I would have much rather listened to the old recordings!

Sadly, their tours have been a roller coaster for several years. 

After losing Dennis to his demons and Carl to cancer, and then the infamous Brian and Mike feuds over the years, they went downhill when Mike took control. Bruce Johnston has been the mainstay, and they found a couple of young guys to supplement the three remaining "originals" (Al, Mike, and Bruce - a semi-original . . . he joined the band when Glen Campbell quit to pursue his solo career). David Marks rejoined the group years ago - he was also an "original" although he was replaced by Al in the band's first year or two. The "young guys" that really amped up the band's touring quality several years ago were Jeff Foskett and Al's son Matthew Jardine. 

The touring got much better for awhile, but Mike is 80 years old now and thinks he's still 18. 

I don't go to their concerts any more . . . haven't for 25 years or so. Their recorded music is eternal . . . unfortunately, they as live entertainers are not.

Wow Dan! Didn’t realize but it makes sense that he’s 80!  He was pretty much reciting the lyrics than singing.  Too bad our heros can’t be granted eternity!

The other act that was pretty poor was Black Eyed Peas.  They tried to do “I’ve Gotta Feeling”. Without Fergie. Their lame female vocalist didn’t even try the Fergie solos. 

30 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow Dan! Didn’t realize but it makes sense that he’s 80!  He was pretty much reciting the lyrics than singing.  Too bad our heros can’t be granted eternity!

The other act that was pretty poor was Black Eyed Peas.  They tried to do “I’ve Gotta Feeling”. Without Fergie. Their lame female vocalist didn’t even try the Fergie solos. 

I have it on DVR - to watch today. Wasn't in the mood last night. 

I met the Beach Boys when they embarked on their FIRST tour outside California . . . 1963. My dad worked for Capitol Records; we "hosted" them at a Wichita performance.  Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al and David Marks. At the time, Carl was only 3+ years older than me; we connected. David was only 1-1/2 years older but he didn't have room in his world for anyone else but himself. At the time, he seemed incongruous with the rest of them -- they were great, down-to-earth guys. Mike was a little preoccupied with being 10-15 years older than he really was. Dennis was great fun, but he was really preoccupied with a calendar . . . he was anxious to get home because a brand-new Corvette Sting Ray was to be delivered as soon as he got home. Brian wasn't with them, he was in LA producing the Surfer Girl album with the Wrecking Crew.  

I had occasions to meet up with them again in 1965 (Glen Campbell was filling in for Brian and Bruce Johnston was just getting his feet wet with the band) and 1968 - by then, well, they were different people. 

Mike's now 80, Brian and Al are 79, David Marks is 73. 

Still LOVE their music and always will.

Tuned in to the Beach Boys on Sirius. Even though I have most of the songs in one form or another it's still fun to listen in my car when you don't know what will play next. Guess they will be on until August 31st. Their music never gets old.

What pleased me is that I FINALLY located a 1/25th scale Greyhound bus for my collection. I'd already purchased several 1/25th scale Trailways buses made by PMC in 1954-1957 but they will need lots of detailing to make them worthy for my shelves. I was aware that an unknown manufacturer did produce 1/25th scale Greyhound buses for Greyhound in the 50's and had seen two of those for sale over the last 20 years on eBay and at a collector site, but the prices were beyond what I am willing to pay and neither one was in great condition. 

I had never seen or heard of this particular replica before though, made by Bell Products, Inc., a toy that was equipped with a motor and used batteries. But these I'll remove and save (still works). I was shocked when the seller accepted my best offer that was 75% less than their asking price with a low shipping charge. It had only been listed a couple hours when I grabbed it. My goal will be to add detailing, possible repainting, mirrors, red and amber marker lights, etc. If not for my bad health, I'd go all out to make it more authentic, but I can't. 

I've checked all measurements and it is truly EXACT 1/25 scale in every way. 

PLASTICgreyhound.jpg

TRAILWAYS.jpg

On Sunday went to the airshow in Kansas City and saw BOTH the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds.  The Thunderbirds were supposed to be in Michigan and their show must have been cancelled.  They were added to Kansas City at the last minute.  That airshow was spectacular!

16 hours ago, John1955 said:

What pleased me is that I FINALLY located a 1/25th scale Greyhound bus for my collection. I'd already purchased several 1/25th scale Trailways buses made by PMC in 1954-1957 but they will need lots of detailing to make them worthy for my shelves. I was aware that an unknown manufacturer did produce 1/25th scale Greyhound buses for Greyhound in the 50's and had seen two of those for sale over the last 20 years on eBay and at a collector site, but the prices were beyond what I am willing to pay and neither one was in great condition. 

I had never seen or heard of this particular replica before though, made by Bell Products, Inc., a toy that was equipped with a motor and used batteries. But these I'll remove and save (still works). I was shocked when the seller accepted my best offer that was 75% less than their asking price with a low shipping charge. It had only been listed a couple hours when I grabbed it. My goal will be to add detailing, possible repainting, mirrors, red and amber marker lights, etc. If not for my bad health, I'd go all out to make it more authentic, but I can't. 

I've checked all measurements and it is truly EXACT 1/25 scale in every way. 

PLASTICgreyhound.jpg

TRAILWAYS.jpg

Those are nice buses! It's always nice to find something after a long search at a great price. Had the pleasure of driving a Scenicruiser from Kentucky to Florida back when I was in the export business. 2 stroke Detroit had no problem pushing that bus 80 mph on the interstate. 

On 7/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, Snake45 said:

I've been trying to buy a particular item online for about two months or more now. Back in May, my preferred vendor--let's call them Vendor A--showed an in-stock date of 6/3; three other vendors just showed them out of stock, no date even hinted at. As 6/3 approached, Vendor A's restock date changed to 7/6. Two days ago, two other vendors suddenly showed a variant of the item I want--functionally and practically identical, and in fact made by the same manufacturer just with different details I don't like quite as much as the exact one I want, and at a slightly higher price. I decided if Vendor A didn't have my item in stock on 7/6 (next Tuesday), I'd go ahead and order the similar item from one of the others. Yesterday Vendor A revised the in-stock date to 8/17. That decided it! I woke up this morning vowing to buy the variant from either Vendor B or Vendor C, depending on which one had the best price including shipping.  

This morning I got an email from Vendor A. They're having a 4th of July sale (10% off) and even throwing in FREE shipping. Just to say I did, I checked their website again, and wonder of wonders, the item I really wanted showed as in stock! :blink::D I grabbed my credit card and submitted my order on the spot! 

We'll see what happens and I'm knocking on wood, but at the moment I'm feeling like this qualifies as something that "Pleased Me Today." B):D

The item arrived today, and if you think just ordering it Pleased Me, you should have seen me smile today! I almost hugged the FedEx guy! :lol::D

On 7/6/2021 at 11:32 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Man, that thig is a real beauty. Nice score.

Sometimes, life has strange coincidences. After all these years, I see this item that I'd never heard of before even though I've done extensive research on EVERYTHING ever made in 1/25th and 1/24th scale. Now another one popped up! And it's in even better condition, looks almost brand new. I find this to be bizarre. I don't need another one, but can I resist? 

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The item arrived today, and if you think just ordering it Pleased Me, you should have seen me smile today! I almost hugged the FedEx guy! :lol::D

I've never even seen a Fed-Ex guy. I don't know what the UPS guy looks like either. Maybe they are afraid of me or something, but when they leave me a package, they never even knock on my door, they drop it off next to my door and take off. There is a rather mean looking stray cat that sits on my porch, perhaps that's why they are in such a hurry to leave. 

11 minutes ago, John1955 said:

I've never even seen a Fed-Ex guy. I don't know what the UPS guy looks like either. Maybe they are afraid of me or something, but when they leave me a package, they never even knock on my door, they drop it off next to my door and take off. There is a rather mean looking stray cat that sits on my porch, perhaps that's why they are in such a hurry to leave. 

I'm sure this guy would have just left it, too, but I happened to see the truck pull up through the front room window and met him outside, as I knew exactly what he had. 

Come to think of it, he didn't walk up my driveway and sidewalk, he walked straight across the middle of my lawn. They must have those guys on a RUSH! RUSH! RUSH! schedule. 

Got laid of Thursday (after 22 years with the company)....

Agreed to terms of new job on Tuesday...

Turns out my old job was holding me back and my new deal will exceed the old one.

They are even setting up a satellite office in the same area as my old one. Commute even stays the same.

9 hours ago, Xingu said:

Turns out my old job was holding me back and my new deal will exceed the old one.

They are even setting up a satellite office in the same area as my old one. Commute even stays the same.

That is great news. I always get this little lump in my throat when I see someone's been laid off. You not only landed on your feet, but stuck the landing.

I started a new job Monday back in my field of expertise, vintage cars. More money, no work politics and get to drive early Corvettes on a regular basis amongst other Early Iron. The hours are flexible which allows me to continue with my freelance photography work. Now that day 4 is done I'm very pleased and lucky to have landed the spot out of 115 other applicants!

My great news. Got a big smile on my face. Went in to my pulmonary doctor for the results from some breathing tests. In may of 2019 due to some severe breathing problems I did a breathing test and was diagnosed with moderate-severe  COPD which se4ve allergies brought on by some severe allergies( I was so bad I couldn't lie down to sleep). The recent test results were great. Now I'm pre COPD (possible early stages). I've been feeling a better and thought I improved but not to that extent. 

I also weighed in at 255 which is 5 pounds from my goal and have lost 38 lbs so far. Definitely a red letter day. Might actually get some of that huge modeling stash I've aquired over the years,

My oldest finally got an IT position!!  

Now that I'm the old fart, I'm shocked at the stuff companies pull and then they wonder why people job hop!  One of his interviews, they offered him a position for about 33% less than the one he just accepted. Another one wanted him to sign a non-compete clause...hard no!!  If it turns out to be a nightmare, then he cant jump ship to another company for a year!

On 7/14/2021 at 4:09 PM, Xingu said:

Great new Michael, congratulations!

On 7/15/2021 at 8:14 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

My great news. Got a big smile on my face. Went in to my pulmonary doctor for the results from some breathing tests. In may of 2019 due to some severe breathing problems I did a breathing test and was diagnosed with moderate-severe  COPD which se4ve allergies brought on by some severe allergies( I was so bad I couldn't lie down to sleep). The recent test results were great. Now I'm pre COPD (possible early stages). I've been feeling a better and thought I improved but not to that extent. 

I also weighed in at 255 which is 5 pounds from my goal and have lost 38 lbs so far. Definitely a red letter day. Might actually get some of that huge modeling stash I've aquired over the years,

Fantastic news Bob!