Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

5 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I cuaght that episode too..  I thought it was terrible although the background info and parts used were interesting. I doubt if I'll waste time watching another episode.

Yea I hear what your saying.He could’ve painted it,and done a lot more detailing to it.But I just really find him interesting to watch and listen him talk about cars.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, espo said:

Your Chrysler looks like something that has been well cared for and with the continued care it should last many years. 

I missed this one earlier, I've done my best to take care of it, though the interior has a probably not so health layer of dust in some areas (it needs a heavy cleaning in there), it may be my only new car and who knows when I'll be able to afford something different, new or used.  I'm hoping that it becomes one of those "survivor" cars on down the road and a good "Day 2" example for one of these as well, these were kind of comparable to 383 Road Runners performance and with the Touring trim package mine is in, comparably trimmed as well.

4 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs for breakfast!

Used to be a small restaurant near us that had the best biscuits and gravy I ever had. They'd throw a couple of fried eggs on top. Sadly, the Covid deal has put them out of business.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, espo said:

Try it some time with over easy eggs with sausage patties on top of the biscuits and extra gravy.  

Had that breakfast many times at the little hole in the wall trucker restaurants back when I was driving OTR!

Usually served on a platter instead of a plate!

Edited by OldTrucker

16 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Had that breakfast many times at the little hole in the wall trucker restaurants back when I was driving OTR!

Usually served on a platter instead of a plate!

That is the same way I was introduced to this breakfast. I was driving Motor Transport for Union Oil Company out of the Colton Ca. terminal. My first day as a ride along with another driver we left the terminal to make a delivery. He pulled into a very small road side place in what was then the middle of nowhere between Colton and Riverside along the river there. One, I had never stopped for breakfast before when I was on the clock but I was assured this was normal. After that this was the standard by which all future breakfast joints were judged.  

What pleased me today was trying blacksmithing for the first time.  I’ve never had any serious desire to try it, but my wife’s uncle is part of a group that meets once a month and he’d been asking me to go.  

Turned out it was a good fun time!

903FBC44-8627-4C64-984F-24E559853019.thumb.jpeg.270c537ae815f3e5adc881d86b26685c.jpeg

Had a few minutes of “do this” and “don’t do this” and was set loose to go about making whatever we felt like making…I didn’t really have something in mind so I looked through some of the finished pieces they had there and made a fancy over-engineered coat hook:

9B1B8434-A2F5-43F1-8BB5-F21BC02FADE0.thumb.jpeg.8880af77a6233734b671820502aaead1.jpeg
0179F71F-CBB7-4197-986C-01E08AC93FBC.thumb.jpeg.a6f6db4dec9426d3f35170a90786ffc7.jpeg

77315C93-278D-47D8-930C-3829D729E419.thumb.jpeg.b58075a9559e272e167a71c356729f56.jpeg

77167CFC-66F4-40A0-BBFF-A991FE36AB0F.thumb.jpeg.eaf431f560e184bfb5ebd7750bf4f297.jpeg

Like all these things, it’s easy to make SOMETHING, but hard to make something GREAT.  Was fun though!  I’d like to try it again just to do better the things I did badly this time…

Decided to watch the Steve Magnante show and it wasn't bad. The guy speaks well so that helps the show out and I like how he mixes in real car stuff with the model he's building which was the Dodge Hemi he once owned.

A few things that surprised me was twisting parts off the trees, spray painting inside the house and it seemed he used the wrong sized brush when painting things. I'll watch more as I thought the show was pretty good overall.

Did a little messing around with things like that working at a small business called McGraw Brothers that made horse shoes for thoroughbreds!

Waiting for shoe rods to come from the trimmers and grinders gave us time to try a little metal bending other than bending horse shoes!LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

What pleased me today was trying blacksmithing for the first time.  I’ve never had any serious desire to try it, but my wife’s uncle is part of a group that meets once a month and he’d been asking me to go.  

Turned out it was a good fun time!

903FBC44-8627-4C64-984F-24E559853019.thumb.jpeg.270c537ae815f3e5adc881d86b26685c.jpeg

Had a few minutes of “do this” and “don’t do this” and was set loose to go about making whatever we felt like making…I didn’t really have something in mind so I looked through some of the finished pieces they had there and made a fancy over-engineered coat hook:

9B1B8434-A2F5-43F1-8BB5-F21BC02FADE0.thumb.jpeg.8880af77a6233734b671820502aaead1.jpeg
0179F71F-CBB7-4197-986C-01E08AC93FBC.thumb.jpeg.a6f6db4dec9426d3f35170a90786ffc7.jpeg

77315C93-278D-47D8-930C-3829D729E419.thumb.jpeg.b58075a9559e272e167a71c356729f56.jpeg

77167CFC-66F4-40A0-BBFF-A991FE36AB0F.thumb.jpeg.eaf431f560e184bfb5ebd7750bf4f297.jpeg

Like all these things, it’s easy to make SOMETHING, but hard to make something GREAT.  Was fun though!  I’d like to try it again just to do better the things I did badly this time…

That looks darn good Jim .

• Like 2

Despite the primer problems with my Clod’s body, I was able to get my Lunchbox’s body in primer today, which went very well!

CFC66CC5-E49F-4BDF-936B-39D8F35CF0BD.jpe

Only found a small hole where I filled in the vent opening in the roof panel the rest of that involved no filler what so ever, the patch panels I made from another body were that good of a fit!

4DEBF844-051C-4C00-8F79-FBD4CDD1EED0.jpe

Nit gonna lie, I’m still happy with how that fill turned out and close to dead on the ribs were to lining up too!

2F3065F5-68F5-4A65-A635-38AC0E6CC187.jpe

The remote for my VCR (yes, I still use it daily) has been dying for about a month. Had to push the buttons multiple times to get it to work, with attendant delays. Over the weekend it died completely. Luckily last week I went on eBay and found the model I needed--cheap, too (@ $10). Just to be sure, ordered two from two different vendors. They both arrived today, and the first one I opened works fine. Happy Happy Joy Joy! :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The remote for my VCR (yes, I still use it daily) has been dying for about a month. Had to push the buttons multiple times to get it to work, with attendant delays. Over the weekend it died completely. Luckily last week I went on eBay and found the model I needed--cheap, too (@ $10). Just to be sure, ordered two from two different vendors. They both arrived today, and the first one I opened works fine. Happy Happy Joy Joy! :D

Yup. There's lotza "obsolete" NOS electronics available to keep most anything running indefinitely...unless one has the throw-it-away mentality, and has to have the latest BS-hyped-and-gots-all-the-useless-bells-and-whistles Chinese-made version.

I bought a couple 4.1 megapixel Nikons @ about $15 each for my model and real-car build records, and they're perfectly adequate for that.

I bought a sweet-sounding 1990's vintage stereo amp as a backup for one I bought back then that's still going strong, and sounds better than units costing ten times as much.

A pair of NIB chargers for my old flip-phone for $5 each, CB radios, long-range walkie-talkie pairs, etc. etc. etc. Cheap, functional tech that does the job.

Finally getting  started on our basement project. We've been waiting over four months for the remodeler to get an opening to do the upgrades we wanted in our basement.  We had downsized our home after the first of the year and moved into a much smaller Villa, that's Realtor speak for a duplex, The basement has a small finished living room and a half bath now. We're having a shower added to the bathroom and finishing a bedroom with an egress window that will become my model room. At this point in life while I miss the old "big house" and the grounds, taking care of it all was becoming more than we wanted to deal with any longer. They even mow and edge, weed and feed, and anything needed in the yard. I just fill the bird feeders and watch the golfers go by from the covered patio. Life isn't half bad at the edge of the prairie.  

On 9/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Snake45 said:

Snake 🐍 I know several people who still have their VHS 📼 players and their tape collections. I saw VHS players for sal at Walmart a couple years ago..