Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

So my buddy and i are making real good progress on my 03 KTM 640 dual purpose bike.I ordered a Red bull Dakar Rally decal sheet.At first he said he couldn’t install it on the bike,make it into a rally bike.Well he was able to get most of the glue reactivated and the bike is starting to look pretty cool.New battery,all tuned up,new tires,etc.But meanwhile,yes it’s getting done,but i live in NY,riding season is drawing to an end,and I ain’t a good cold weather kind of rider.The bike is fast..Oh well there’s always next spring.

15D1F7AB-B1B3-4AEE-9737-7E9E5B83D0A1.jpeg

F046D3C4-68DB-4FD0-ADA2-AA438D1B5CBE.jpeg

00D1CB13-CD34-43A5-9683-D6FBA1FB6377.jpeg

C23CB172-E797-46A0-A37F-95CEFA411FFA.jpeg

F9A70F2D-A37A-4744-9EBE-83E709331E9E.jpeg

A9002C95-371D-4998-BF3F-324FF3441816.jpeg

225B86BB-ACF7-4D0E-ABDE-A41596017ED3.jpeg

3C4C545F-DFBD-4331-9BE1-0F2E641B1A56.jpeg

23 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh yea,excellent pics.Every once in awhile we get some really low flying military  helicopters go over my house..Not sure where there coming from.And they are loud.🤯I really like the Geico plane.Something from the past.Wonder why Geico’s name is on there.More of their constant advertising i guess.🙄Or is that some sort of military lettering?,lol

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There’s a helicopter museum in the next town so we get a lot of low and loud chopper flights over the neighborhood.

When Biden is home in Delaware, fighter jets patrol our airspace. The ladies on our NextDoor app are always complaining about the noise!

semi frequently we get Chinook's flying nice and low right over us at work.  you get a formation of 3 to 5 of those and that's when the building starts to shake.  we used to be right across Katella ave. from the base and a few times they must have been doing paratrooper training or something cause they were jumping out the back of the Chinook's.  it was pretty cool.  we got that and the occasional C17, C5, and C130 coming and going.  the C17's and C5's were something to see!

anyway i took my camera today, so naturally they didn't fly as much.  i need to invest in a new camera... but the pic's came out better than the previous pic's taken with my phone.
i50QmKE.jpg

NvqBaxg.jpg

7mS0DwC.jpg

AHjhXzU.jpg

BA9PElw.jpg

lP5b2CW.jpg

9OdDaxi.jpg

IoM2Hv7.jpg

My wife just got a job at Michael's! 

Had her first shift yesterday...gets 30% discount on most stuff, apparently.  Which is cool, because they've got a Revell 32 sedan on the shelf that I couldn't bring myself to buy at their standard prices (especially now that the 40% coupon has mostly gone away)...

I told her I want a pic of the model stash in their stockroom - I wanna see if there's any treasures hiding back there!

48 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

My wife just got a job at Michael's! 

Had her first shift yesterday...gets 30% discount on most stuff, apparently.  Which is cool, because they've got a Revell 32 sedan on the shelf that I couldn't bring myself to buy at their standard prices (especially now that the 40% coupon has mostly gone away)...

I told her I want a pic of the model stash in their stockroom - I wanna see if there's any treasures hiding back there!

And to think, when I was a young man the joke was to marry a girl whos father owned a liquor store. My how our priorities change with time. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, espo said:

And to think, when I was a young man the joke was to marry a girl whos father owned a liquor store. My how our priorities change with time. 

It was even a song: 

"I have just met the perfect girl, I could not ask for more,

She's deaf and dumb and oversexed and owns a liquor store."  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:36 PM, High octane said:

And how long does the air supply last in that portable concentrator?

A brand new battery will last about 3.5 to 4 hours. After a couple years use that same battery will drop by about one hour. With the in- car charging device that is included with the purchase we start recharging part way to our destination so the battery is at 100%  charge when we arrive. I recommend you do two things if you decide to buy this system, first opt for the lifetime warranty and buy at least one spare battery. We always carry a spare wherever we go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

A brand new battery will last about 3.5 to 4 hours. After a couple years use that same battery will drop by about one hour. With the in- car charging device that is included with the purchase we start recharging part way to our destination so the battery is at 100%  charge when we arrive. I recommend you do two things if you decide to buy this system, first opt for the lifetime warranty and buy at least one spare battery. We always carry a spare wherever we go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the info Tom.

Our dryer was causing us to lose power in the whole apartment after about 10 mins of use. The electrician came and fixed it straight away. The breaker was melted a bit. They put a new one in and it seems good. Hopefully it isnt a real problem that caused it to melt other than it being old

Edited by MrMiles

11 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Our dryer was causing us to lose power in the whole apartment after about 10 mins of use. The electrician came and fixed it straight away. The breaker was melted a bit. They put a new one in and it seems good. Hopefully it isnt a real problem that caused it to melt other than it being old

Did the electrician also check the gauge of the wiring ? The size of the breaker will determine the amount of electricity flow but the wiring may not be of a proper gauge to support the requirements of the appliance. Replacing the breaker with a higher one but with wiring not able to carry that amount could overheat and then you would have even bigger problems.   

18 minutes ago, espo said:

Did the electrician also check the gauge of the wiring ? The size of the breaker will determine the amount of electricity flow but the wiring may not be of a proper gauge to support the requirements of the appliance. Replacing the breaker with a higher one but with wiring not able to carry that amount could overheat and then you would have even bigger problems.   

I honestly don't know. we live in apartment and the breaker for it wasn't even in our apartment. it was in a basement on the opposite side of the building.   We have lived here for over 7 years with tge same dryer, so i assumed it was just a one time issue.

1 minute ago, MrMiles said:

I honestly don't know. we live in apartment and the breaker for it wasn't even in our apartment. it was in a basement on the opposite side of the building.   We have lived here for over 7 years with tge same dryer, so i assumed it was just a one time issue.

Being in an apartment it's hard to know what other areas are running off of the same breaker. I wouldn't think they would have tow different apartments running of of one, but you just don't know. In my limited experience as a home owner who had a new electric double oven with convection bake feature installed only to find that the convection feature pulled a lot more electricity that what the system was designed for. The convection bake feature never worked up to expectations and the breaker had to be reset sometimes. Perhaps something else has been added on the same cercut and that is setting off the breaker. I don't mess with electricity and try to leave that to others who know what they're doing. 

Birds! It’s been pretty dry here lately and today it was raining pretty good. The Robins were having a heyday outside. Running around and chasing each other. There were a bunch of other smaller grey and white ones (possibly dark eyed junkos?) that were feeding in the cracks of the pavement. One of them looked like it was doing a little dance🤪. I guess the rain drives all the bugs and insects up to the surface for easy pickings.

Apartment electric story- when we got married 40 years ago we moved into a brand new apartment complex. We were the first occupants of our unit.

The apartments were all electric and advertised as $80 a month on the budget plan. Well we moved in and never had that low a bill!  It started at $120 in the summer and climbed to $600 in the winter. Outrageous and we felt it was a truth in advertising issue. The rent was only $360!

So we bought a house and broke the lease. I sent the owner company a letter to justify our leaving. I included copies of all the electric bills.

About a month later I got a letter from them. I anticipated it would be about their intent to sue us to collect all the lease amount. But I was shocked..

It said they did an investigation of my claims and found our apartment had been the original model home. As such they had wired all the complex common areas.. such as all the parking lot lights etc to our meter. They included a check for the entire amount of my bills!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Apartment electric story- when we got married 40 years ago we moved into a brand new apartment complex. We were the first occupants of our unit.

The apartments were all electric and advertised as $80 a month on the budget plan. Well we moved in and never had that low a bill!  It started at $120 in the summer and climbed to $600 in the winter. Outrageous and we felt it was a truth in advertising issue. The rent was only $360!

So we bought a house and broke the lease. I sent the owner company a letter to justify our leaving. I included copies of all the electric bills.

About a month later I got a letter from them. I anticipated it would be about their intent to sue us to collect all the lease amount. But I was shocked..

It said they did an investigation of my claims and found our apartment had been the original model home. As such they had wired all the complex common areas.. such as all the parking lot lights etc to our meter. They included a check for the entire amount of my bills!

Thats amazing they owned up to it. No way that happens today

My first apartment that my wife and i shared had electric everything, heat, stove etc.  

Our electric bill was constantly over 200 per month for a tiny 1 bed room. Our ac was terrible too, it would not cool more than 10 degrees compared to outside. if it was 100 degrees outside, it would only be 90 in our apartment. we eventually bought our own portable unit because they told us the ac was working as expected and they wouldn't replace it. 

We moved out after a few years. The management was horrible. they tried to up our fees, even though we were in the middle of the lease. That was final straw. The place we live in now is much bigger and has gas heat, which is included in the rent. Our rent is very high now and we are probably going to need to leave nj because we aren't going to move to a bad area to get affordable rent

Edited by MrMiles

• 2 weeks later...