Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

In reverse order (of which pleased me most today):

1) I found a new 90's mountain bike project (another hobby :) ) on Marketplace for a song. Drove out about 4 miles past my son's house in a neighboring town to look at and get it. Called to see if they were home (was gonna sneak by to see the new-to-us grand kids, LOL), they were not. They were actually in front of me about 4 miles (with too many redlights in front of me to catch them with them already past town), they were on their way to a Christmas party with his fiance's family.

2) On their way back from that Christmas party, my son and his fiance dropped by a couple hours for a visit. 

(not even counting all other blessings that we often take for granted) It was  a pretty good day today :) 

Edited by Olskoolrodder
  • Like 1

Finally getting to setup my new modeling room. We moved earlier this year and the new place had a partially finished room in the basement and we had a general contractor finish into a bedroom type room for me to use. May take a couple of weeks to unpack my books and setup my work bench. I hope to start finishing a couple of works in progress that I had to pack when we moved and start something new.  I'm gluing bumpers and grills back on some of the displayed models already.   

Finished up the last of 6 ongoing projects that started anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago. After not doing anything other than buying and opening several kits over the past year, it felt really good to be able to get 6 projects done in 3ish months. Now I can start several more 🤣😂

This morning I donated my entire hot wheels collection to the local foodbank. I made sure to tell them some are worth selling themselves for funds as they could raise them a bit of cash and the others are to be given to kids. Theres over 500 all still in the box so hopefully it makes some kids happy in the new year

• Like 4

On 12/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, OldTrucker said:

Could she be following in gramdpas footsteps?

She is the youngest of our 14 grand kids.

722.jpeg

My daughter quietly, but sternly, informed me that we would be disowned if we ever got a drum set for my grandson. She has a point. His drumming style would closely mimic Animal's from the Muppets. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

My daughter quietly, but sternly, informed me that we would be disowned if we ever got a drum set for my grandson. She has a point. His drumming style would closely mimic Animal's from the Muppets. 

That was the way Granpa was when I got mine in Jr High. Grandma got them for me anyways!LOL

Drove by our son's house but couldn't stop in because they he is in day 8 of his covid vacation but saw him on the couch wearing his ear protection from work!

She must have been trying them out!LOL

I found out about the 1.5 weeks ago that my company is closing. 

this was such an incredible shock because I was with the company for over 20 years. 

however the owner of our company had plans in place for the employees of the company when he retires. Essential most of the employees will be hired on by a company doing similar roles. 

im not sure how many of the employees will make it over, but I was one that was offered a position. I think 2 or 3 people plan to retire. 

this was honestly the most stress I have ever had in my life. I’m still quite stressed but the new company is significantly larger and I will have more growth opportunities. this new company seems like an excellent place with great people. Im excited for the new opportunities this company will bring

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

I found out about the 1.5 weeks ago that my company is closing. 

this was such an incredible shock because I was with the company for over 20 years. 

however the owner of our company had plans in place for the employees of the company when he retires. Essential most of the employees will be hired on by a company doing similar roles. 

im not sure how many of the employees will make it over, but I was one that was offered a position. I think 2 or 3 people plan to retire. 

this was honestly the most stress I have ever had in my life. I’m still quite stressed but the new company is significantly larger and I will have more growth opportunities. this new company seems like an excellent place with great people. Im excited for the new opportunities this company will bring

Great that the new company wants you as part of their work force. 

• Like 1

About three months ago, Turner had a seizure two days in a row with the second day one the worst ones I've ever ever seen, even on line.  He never had one before so I called the vet who got him right in.  He had an elevated liver enzyme so the vet immediately put him on anti-seizure med.  No issue until Christmas Eve and then again Christmas night when he seized again but nowhere near as bad as the ones several months ago.  Got him into the vet Monday and they ran bloodwork.  The vet did a thorough check and said if they continue and it's not the liver, he should have an MRI to check for a tumor.  The wife was working so I was flying solo at the vets office and the lump in my throat was getting bigger by the moment as he's about 13 years old and I have serious concern about him getting knocked out for an MRI.

The bloodwork came back late today.....his liver enzyme is the lowest its been since they have been checking it!  It doesn't explain the seizures, but if it was higher, it likely meant his final countdown clock was moving closer.  They upped one of the doses of his med and no issues since so we'll just watch it.

Turner  Dec 2021.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

Many years ago, my grandson was the hostage in a bitter battle staged by my ex-daughter-in-law to punish my son for being born. [She married him, but later threw him away and kept the grandson.]  After years of trying to deal with her (impossible) and tons of court skirmishes and $$$ spent, she managed to retain enough custody control to make life miserable for son, grandson, and us. She insisted anything nice obtained for or gifted to grandson MUST be kept at her house. 

So I bought him a drum set.   😁

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, HomerS said:

About three months ago, Turner had a seizure two days in a row with the second day one the worst ones I've ever ever seen, even on line.  He never had one before so I called the vet who got him right in.  He had an elevated liver enzyme so the vet immediately put him on anti-seizure med.  No issue until Christmas Eve and then again Christmas night when he seized again but nowhere near as bad as the ones several months ago.  Got him into the vet Monday and they ran bloodwork.  The vet did a thorough check and said if they continue and it's not the liver, he should have an MRI to check for a tumor.  The wife was working so I was flying solo at the vets office and the lump in my throat was getting bigger by the moment as he's about 13 years old and I have serious concern about him getting knocked out for an MRI.

The bloodwork came back late today.....his liver enzyme is the lowest its been since they have been checking it!  It doesn't explain the seizures, but if it was higher, it likely meant his final countdown clock was moving closer.  They upped one of the doses of his med and no issues since so we'll just watch it.

Turner  Dec 2021.jpg

My sympathies To Turner and you and your wife. Very hard to see such a loved one suffer and you're unable to do much more than care and comfort them.  

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Genius. Shoulda followed up with a chemistry set. 

I never "got" the whole idea of a chemistry set. Okay, so you could make a beaker full of framistatic acid, or whatever--now what were you supposed to actually DO with it? :unsure::wacko:

My friend Eddie had a chemistry set. One night we played with it, using the tiny spoon to play a game of "Will THIS burn?" with all the chemicals. Some of them did, and kind of specatularly, too. Most didn't, or not more than common house dust. When I told my Dad about our game, he wasn't too pleased. He showed me that he could only move his right thumb about 3/4 as far back as his left, due to scar tissue between his thumb and forefinger, inflicted by "chemistry set fun" when he was about my age. Dunno about Eddie but I never played with chemistry again. 

Edited by Snake45

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I never "got" the whole idea of a chemistry set. Okay, so you could make a beaker full of framistatic acid, or whatever--now what were you supposed to actually DO with it? :unsure::wacko:

If you followed the directions for each experiment carefully, there were a lot of practical illustrations of common chemical reactions.  It all has to do with developing a better understanding of the world around us.

I remember experiments to make water more electrically conductive, "wetter", and more corrosive. One particularly fun one was making amorphous sulpher, a kind of simple elastic/plastic (video below).

(Of course, in the context of my response to Danno, the ability, as you noted, to make horrible smells, stains, and low-grade explosions would have been the desired outcome; making hydrogen sulfide is especially rewarding. B))

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Genius. Shoulda followed up with a chemistry set. 

Trust me. Thought about that, too.  But he was too young - too adventurous and I worried about possibly damage to him . . . The drum set was just NOISE, nothing explosive!  😏

BTW - It worked pretty well . . .