Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Bought this "Mystery Vette" off eBay a couple years ago. Several weeks ago I got in the mood to work on it and looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Today I went looking for something else entirely and it turned up (Snake's Method One to Find Lost Stuff).  Found the thing I was actually looking for, too, Happy Happy Joy Joy!  Mystery Vette will be taking a big swim in Lake Purple very, very soon. 

AMysteryVette03.jpg.06939ec66e50400bdb83fac17d142775.jpg

AMysteryVette08.jpg.ba82d1aa6911d52f58f3537e7e2c9a17.jpg

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

That Vette is cool. I like the mods. 60's custom ?

No doubt. A real survivor, though it didn't come through in the best of shape. 

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Now that is interesting to say the least.  The custom hood looks familiar and it has the rally dash option with stop watches and a 1967 license plate but......?  I hope it survives the purple pond OK.   Please keep us posted.

The plan is to restore it as close as I can to original. The paint looks like AMT Blue Fog Metallic, which isn't in good enough shape to be saved. I hope the purple pond takes it off, without doing too much damage to the underlying putty. (Holding my breath.) I'll probably repaint it with Testor Icy Blue flake. Hope I can re-use the weird windshield, it's kinda cool. Not sure I'll re-use the "roll bar." If I don't, I'll make something similar but a little better shaped. I'm planning to do it as a "beach car" owing to the rear fenders being so inset, and I'll replace the ancient Firestone slicks with a set of snow/dirt tires from latest reissue of the '65 El Camino. Sound like a plan? 

It'll be interesting to see what year body is under all that paint and putty. :unsure:B)

One of the shops I work with recently hired two new kids as apprentices. So far they both seem smart, willing to listen to the old geezers who know a little about how things actually work, and are eager to be doing something (as opposed to hiding while they play on their phones).

Most excellent so far.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

One of the shops I work with recently hired two new kids as apprentices. So far they both seem smart, willing to listen to the old geezers who know a little about how things actually work, and are eager to be doing something (as opposed to hiding while they play on their phones).

Rare breed, good luck with them .

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Rare breed...

Definitely.

Since 2016, we've only had one other hire who was worth the paper he was printed on. Smart, fast learner, hard worker, stayed for 3 years and moved on and up to a "name" Atlanta rod shop (this shop, where I'm finishing up one long project, primarily does vintage and classic car maintenance and repair...not much fab unless I do it, and I'm not taking on any new work).

On 2/4/2022 at 3:47 PM, Snake45 said:

Bought this "Mystery Vette" off eBay a couple years ago. Several weeks ago I got in the mood to work on it and looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Today I went looking for something else entirely and it turned up (Snake's Method One to Find Lost Stuff).  Found the thing I was actually looking for, too, Happy Happy Joy Joy!  Mystery Vette will be taking a big swim in Lake Purple very, very soon. 

AMysteryVette03.jpg.06939ec66e50400bdb83fac17d142775.jpg

AMysteryVette08.jpg.ba82d1aa6911d52f58f3537e7e2c9a17.jpg

Interesting Corvette Snake. Nice find. I did a search and found no information on this kit.

I'll agree with you. It does have a sort of dune buggy look to it. Makes you wonder why they didn't sculpt the front fenders inward too.

Just my opinion, the hood scoops look Mako Shark to me. 

The windshield looks like a standard windshield that was installed upside down.

And you need to put some air in the left front tire LOL.

Edited by DPNM

3 hours ago, DPNM said:

Interesting Corvette Snake. Nice find. I did a search and found no information on this kit.

I'll agree with you. It does have a sort of dune buggy look to it. Makes you wonder why they didn't sculpt the front fenders inward too.

Just my opinion, the hood scoops look Mako Shark to me. 

The windshield looks like a standard windshield that was installed upside down.

And you need to put some air in the left front tire LOL.

It's obviously an AMT '63-'67 Vette roadster, but I don't know exactly what year. Stripping the paint should tell me that. Interestingly, it came with an original AMT Car Craft Dream Rod (built), which I assume was built around the same time. 

OB did sculpt the front fenders in a little, too, but it doesn't show up that much in these pics. The frame restricts the sculpting in this area. 

You're right about the Mako Shark-looking hood. Hadn't noticed that before. I think it's a stock kit hood, though, from something. 

I'm sure you're right about the windshield, but I don't know what kit that's from either. 

The front tire is just off the wheel a little. LOL B)

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's obviously an AMT '63-'67 Vette roadster, but I don't know exactly what year.

If I'm correct, didn't AMT have the grab handle slot in the passenger side dash hump? I can't tell from your pics if it's there or not. If there is one it should eliminate at least the 1967. Then again, looking close at the dash it seems like it has a lot more dash gauges than it should.

And while I have you on the phone, so to speak, which '63 Corvette convertible kit had the revolving headlight buckets?

My Furry Valentine - Cincinnati's Largest Pet Adoption Event - 10th Annual  Event

https://www.myfurryvalentine.com/

It's back in person next weekend!! It's Cincinnati area wide mass animal adoption event since 2012 as a suburban convention center.  It's free for shelters/rescues for a basic spot (slight charge for electric hook up as well as if they want more than one spot).  It's only $5 for people coming to check out the pets and the line is well out the door when they first open both days.  I know at least a couple of the rescues (501c3) will sign off on community service for kids who need school credits to graduate if they'll help staff the booth.

Last year was all on line but still found homes for 324 animals.  Highest total was 2018 at 966 (!) new homes.

The surgically repaired knee still isn't 100% but I'm still going to help the various attendees set up/tear down.  The number of dogs out numbers the humans in the house but the wife still cringes the ratio will change.

Edited by HomerS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DPNM said:

And while I have you on the phone, so to speak, which '63 Corvette convertible kit had the revolving headlight buckets?

Only the original AMT '63 annual. They weren't in the coupe, and they disappeared in the '64 roadster, too. But they made a brief appearance circa '67 or '68 in the rare T.H.E. Cat custom roadster. There's a slight chance those parts could be restored. 

Come to think of it, the '63 roadster hasn't been reissued in quite a while now, too, though the coupe has been reissued several times. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Only the original AMT '63 annual. They weren't in the coupe, and they disappeared in the '64 roadster, too. But they made a brief appearance circa '67 or '68 in the rare T.H.E. Cat custom roadster. There's a slight chance those parts could be restored. 

Come to think of it, the '63 roadster hasn't been reissued in quite a while now, too, though the coupe has been reissued several times. 

Thank you sir. I just came across a built up. 

I made a new friend today.

I found a throttle body for my ‘97 F150 on Craigslist a few days ago, so my dad and I went to pick it up today. The guy was going to use the throttle body for his F250, but it was the wrong type. So, of course, we got to talking about cars and racetracks, and his trucks, and my truck, and stuff like that. Turns out, this guy has a full-size F250 (crew cab long bed) with a built 7.3 under the hood that runs mid-13s in the quarter mile, and he has a ‘16 F250 show truck that had it’s own feature in a diesel magazine. He built and tuned both trucks himself, and they’re both pushing north of 500hp. Certainly not someone you get to meet everyday, meant in the best of ways.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:52 AM, DPNM said:

If I'm correct, didn't AMT have the grab handle slot in the passenger side dash hump? I can't tell from your pics if it's there or not. If there is one it should eliminate at least the 1967. Then again, looking close at the dash it seems like it has a lot more dash gauges than it should.

Got it broken down this morning and the body's in Lake Purple as we speak. 

The interior's from a '64 roadster kit. I suspect the body is, too--we'll know soon enough. 

The windshield's not a windshield. Seems to be the backlight from an AMT custom fastback top. It's similar to the one in the '57 T-Bird kit, but I don't know yet if that's what it is. 

Still haven't tracked down what the hood's from. It's not from the MPC '64, '65, or '66, and it's not from any of the AMT '63 through '65. Hmmmmm...

52 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Got it broken down this morning and the body's in Lake Purple as we speak. 

The interior's from a '64 roadster kit. I suspect the body is, too--we'll know soon enough. 

The windshield's not a windshield. Seems to be the backlight from an AMT custom fastback top. It's similar to the one in the '57 T-Bird kit, but I don't know yet if that's what it is. 

Still haven't tracked down what the hood's from. It's not from the MPC '64, '65, or '66, and it's not from any of the AMT '63 through '65. Hmmmmm...

the hood is from the 1st issue 67 MPC it came with 2 hoods custom & stock big block 

1 hour ago, Jack L said:

the hood is from the 1st issue 67 MPC it came with 2 hoods custom & stock big block 

Fabulous! I'd figgered it was MPC because it has the notches for their hinges, but hadn't been able to find the instructions for that one. Thanks! B)

On 2/5/2022 at 3:13 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I spoke too soon. One of 'em used two of my takeoff tires that are going on my blue XJ6 for a paint stand. I now have two pretty green tires.

After I chewed his ass and moved the tires, he finished his paint job on the pad just in front of the main shop door.

So we had pretty stripes and blotches on the concrete, looking like a pack of chimps worked there.

Common sense is in appallingly short supply.

That's when the shop manager got involved and taught Mr. Paintboy how to run the pressure washer.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful sunshine and 50 today. First time I drove in a while"..

Glad you could get back behind the wheel Carl. We are supposed to see 50 degrees tomorrow. I'll believe it when I feel it but it will be a welcome change.

• Like 1