Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

I am pleased that I can still get up every day at 4 AM or so and drink my coffee and build models. I believe the problem solving and reasoning things out while building keeps the old mind fresh and functioning well.

• Like 1

Got to see the guys at the Desert Scale contest AND managed to survive the drive unscathed to & from the contest site!  One of the nearby freeways was closed, causing a sizable detour route, and many inconvenienced drivers were not exactly handling their change of plans gracefully …

Thursday morning we set up the Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall (3/5 scale of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial) and have been enjoying spending 12 - 14 hours a day there helping people find names.  Ceremony today at 4:00pm and then we take it down Monday morning.  It's been tiring but great!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

Thursday morning we set up the Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall (3/5 scale of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial) and have been enjoying spending 12 - 14 hours a day there helping people find names.  Ceremony today at 4:00pm and then we take it down Monday morning.  It's been tiring but great!

Wish I had known it was in Homosassa this weekend , that's a short drive up 19 from here . 

The last four days pleased me. Was on vacation in San Diego on Shelter Bay. Room was right across from the bay and had a terrific view. Caught the USS Vincent air craft carrier going into port and also a Destroyer which I could not identify. Also two huge cruise ships ( who cares ). My daughter, son in law and only Grandchild were at the same hotel. Found out daughter is pregnant with grandson number two. Got to spend rare quality time with them. They live in Virginia and with us in Arizona we don't get as much time as we would like.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, TooOld said:

Wish I had known it was in Homosassa this weekend , that's a short drive up 19 from here . 

The Vietnam Veterans Gathering will be bringing The Wall to Dunnellon, FL on 09/21/2023 and then back to Crystak Harley-Davidson in April 2024.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, cobraman said:

The last four days pleased me. Was on vacation in San Diego on Shelter Bay. Room was right across from the bay and had a terrific view. Caught the USS Vincent air craft carrier going into port and also a Destroyer which I could not identify. Also two huge cruise ships ( who cares ). My daughter, son in law and only Grandchild were at the same hotel. Found out daughter is pregnant with grandson number two. Got to spend rare quality time with them. They live in Virginia and with us in Arizona we don't get as much time as we would like.

Congratulations Ray on a new grandson and your growing family…

On 4/24/2022 at 5:17 PM, cobraman said:

That's a nice area. Decent (for SoCal) fishing along there too. Congratulations on your new grandson! 

• Like 1

I traded in my 2019 beetle for a new 2022 ranger 4x4 xl with the stx package. I sold my beetle for 2000 dollars more than I paid for it when I bought it new and it had 23000 miles on it
I had to pay sticker for the ford but I’m very happy with the ranger. 
I was looking at the Colorado but the ranger was much nicer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrMiles said:

I traded in my 2019 beetle for a new 2022 ranger 4x4 xl with the stx package. I sold my beetle for 2000 dollars more than I paid for it when I bought it new and it had 23000 miles on it
I had to pay sticker for the ford but I’m very happy with the ranger. 
I was looking at the Colorado but the ranger was much nicer

Here is the picture

04A75516-9EC1-4214-A4F2-52FE7B592DB0.jpeg

72C1A614-A4C1-448F-BCB0-CE3B814CA724.jpeg

5D92150E-E597-4406-B2BF-AA14DD9458C9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Great looking Truck. Neat to see only 19 miles on it!

thank you. only disappointment is my beetle that i traded in had a custom plate, but was not transferable since it went from car to truck. my plate said MILES 

was fun while it lasted

I had Custom plates on my Suzuki Samurai.

My Lic Plate frame, said "The Rat Race is Over"

The long Lost Custom Plate said, "Rats Won"

I would re-apply for it, but it is just not worth the cost for personalized Lic Plates in California anymore.

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

thank you. only disappointment is my beetle that i traded in had a custom plate, but was not transferable since it went from car to truck. my plate said MILES 

was fun while it lasted

You might try talking to someone in the local DMV office and see if they might help you with the personalized plate issue. Every state seems to be a little different but most do offer personalized plates on pickups as well. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

You might try talking to someone in the local DMV office and see if they might help you with the personalized plate issue. Every state seems to be a little different but most do offer personalized plates on pickups as well. 

i can get a custom plate on my pickup, but they wouldnt let me transfer the plate. i dont know if they would cancel it as a car and let me use it as a truck. 

honestly, i am not too concerned about a custom plate anymore. in my mustang gt i had "move it" spelled in mirror image so if you saw my plate on the rear view it would be spelled visible... kind of like ambulance is spelled mirror image on the front of ambulances. i was surprised it wasnt taken

Edited by MrMiles

I slipped the leash and went for about a 4 mile hike after lunch. It's hard to get away from the urban sprawl, traffic, and constant background droning in this county anymore. When I came here decades ago to escape all of that in Atlanta, it was mostly rural, clean, and traffic-free. Farms. The county cops drove pickups. Now there's trash everywhere and rush-hour lasts from 06:00 until 19:00. Ticky-tacky McMansions and malls and car dealers and parking lots and 4-lane roads to nowhere are where rolling green fields used to be. And wherever you go, there's no quiet.

Except for the very middle of Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield National Park. It's still just possible to get far enough away from developments and roads to find a little peace, to hear to the bees humming, the small stream playing over rocks, and not be bombarded with mindless urban idiot noise. Yes, you still hear the odd airplane fly over, but I've always liked that anyway.

It was a perfect afternoon, low humidity and an occasional breeze to ruffle the treetops. Wildflowers are beginning to bloom, the air smelled fresh and new, and wild roses seemed to be around every turn of the trail. I must have heard 20 kinds of birds, watched a woodpecker hammering a dead trunk looking for bugs, and spent a few minutes waiting for a 4 foot black snake to cross the path.

I felt like a little kid walking in the woods, not hurried, interested in everything, reborn.

It's times like this that keep me going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MrMiles said:

i can get a custom plate on my pickup, but they wouldnt let me transfer the plate. i dont know if they would cancel it as a car and let me use it as a truck. 

honestly, i am not too concerned about a custom plate anymore. in my mustang gt i had "move it" spelled in mirror image so if you saw my plate on the rear view it would be spelled visible... kind of like ambulance is spelled mirror image on the front of ambulances. i was surprised it wasnt taken

I used to have P Plates on all of our vehicles at one time. Just doesn't seem as important anymore. 

On 4/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I slipped the leash and went for about a 4 mile hike after lunch. It's hard to get away from the urban sprawl, traffic, and constant background droning in this county anymore. When I came here decades ago to escape all of that in Atlanta, it was mostly rural, clean, and traffic-free. Farms. The county cops drove pickups. Now there's trash everywhere and rush-hour lasts from 06:00 until 19:00. Ticky-tacky McMansions and malls and car dealers and parking lots and 4-lane roads to nowhere are where rolling green fields used to be. And wherever you go, there's no quiet.

Except for the very middle of Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield National Park. It's still just possible to get far enough away from developments and roads to find a little peace, to hear to the bees humming, the small stream playing over rocks, and not be bombarded with mindless urban idiot noise. Yes, you still hear the odd airplane fly over, but I've always liked that anyway.

It was a perfect afternoon, low humidity and an occasional breeze to ruffle the treetops. Wildflowers are beginning to bloom, the air smelled fresh and new, and wild roses seemed to be around every turn of the trail. I must have heard 20 kinds of birds, watched a woodpecker hammering a dead trunk looking for bugs, and spent a few minutes waiting for a 4 foot black snake to cross the path.

I felt like a little kid walking in the woods, not hurried, interested in everything, reborn.

It's times like this that keep me going.

Good to put life in neutral sometimes.