Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

After the incident with the ferry last week I thought i may be out of a job as the ferry I watch will be going back in service until the other is fixed. I asked my bosses what will be happening with all of us on the boat and we are going to be paid as normal for the time being. I've offered to help anywhere i can while I'm on the break

I got a Big One for this topic.

Late Monday night the Air Conditioner stopped blowing cold air. In California's Central Valley, with 105+ Temps, this is a real Issue. I called our usual A/C Service Company to schedule a visit. I expected that it would be Friday or Saturday, due the the heat and workload. The woman on the phone was very curt with me, and asked if I was a previous customer. I told her I was, and she verified it on her computer. Once she did that, her whole attitude changed. She was able to squeeze me in the next day, on a 1pm-3pm slot. I was happy to be seen next day.

Tuesday afternoon, we start clock watching. At, 2:45 I call to see how things are Going, and I am told that we are still on the list to be seen. By now I am having the " Got to have a New Unit" Nightmare, and wondering what the payments will be on a new machine. Keep waiting... At 4:45 there is a knock at the door. A/C guy is here. He goes up, and comes right back down. I figure it is bad news since it was so fast. Nope, It was a blown condenser, he has one on the truck, and he can have it fixed in half an hour, for less than 300.00. Twenty minutes later (told you he was fast) the A/C is blowing cold, and all are happy. Had a cold soda in the fridge for him. He said normally he would not take one, but it was 106 Tuesday, and he was beat. Gave him the Dr. Pepper and he was good to go.

So, what was looking to be a 10 Thousand Dollar Nightmare Tuesday morning turned into a fixable problem, I could pay for. I am well beyond 'Pleased' and am now at 'Totally Gratefull'

P.S. and my wife sold our two extra Parrots last night to some really nice people! Less mess for us, and happy new owners.

55 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The woman on the phone was very curt with me, and asked if I was a previous customer. I told her I was, and she verified it on her computer. Once she did that, her whole attitude changed.

Had the same thing happen once with a gun accessory company. Owner had a reputation as a jerk (and a real rude one, too), and at first he was, but when he found out I was a repeat (3-time) customer, his whole attitude changed like flicking a switch and he couldn't have been nicer. 

• Thanks 1

We had 5 Parrots. 4 Indian Ringneck parrots (or Rose Ring parakeets) and one large Amazon.

We are trying to cut back on things, (Fewer Pets, Fewer Bills) so we had 2 parrots my wife liked and 2 Bonded Brothers who were good parrots but hated one of the first pair. So we could not have all 4 out at once, or there would be fights.

image.jpeg.c557846cd4fcbddc5bc9ab14ea139e51.jpeg

So, 4 of these.  We sold the 2 brothers to a family here in town who seemed really good with the birds last night.

The house is 75% quieter this morning with out the brothers. Even the Amazon is calmer.

• 2 weeks later...

What pleased me today….., it wasn’t work, that was a freak show, but had golf league tonight, had a great relaxing time. one of the guys we played against collects old golf clubs…., and uses them on occasion, he had a bag full of hickory shaft clubs tonight, I was amazed at how well he got around the course with them. Had a great time out on the links tonight, and shot just a touch over bogie golf, just a very pleasant evening…..

• Like 1

A thunderstorm came though early Sunday evening and displaced the hot and humid weather that was hanging around here in the Boston Metro Area for the last few days with much cooler and drier temps. Today is much more pleasant and we got some much needed rain to boot. It's time to go cruising.

• Like 2

Our family was able our annual reunion in our shady back yard for the first time since Covid. Had about 30 people, way too much food and a great time for several hours. It's a shame that reunions are becoming a thing of  the past. Having real face-to-face time is much more meaningful than electronic device time.

• Like 1

Wifey's Volvo developed a very sudden and very major oil leak. I anticipated something horrific and expensive. Turned out to be simple enough for me to fix, and it was under $200 CDN. SO that was a pleasant surprise.

Also cleaned out our organic cart and garbage can last night. Fully expected to get covered in the stinky gross residue of 4 months of organic waste all over me. Weekly pickup, but I only clean it when it starts to smell. Managed to not splash myself at all.

:)

I got taken for a run in this old foden steamer truck. I've only seen them on youtube videos previously and i was surprised at how fast it was. It easily hit 60mph. Not a lot of space in the cab due to the boiler and massive flywheels, and it would be extremely easy to lose all your fingers from one hand as the gap between the steering and flywheel was only 2 inches. The owner said you only get it wrong once

DSC07435.JPG

DSC07214.JPG

DSC07215.JPG

DSC07216.JPG

DSC07217.JPG

DSC07206.JPG

DSC07208.JPG

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

Good for you! It's amazing how well you can do when you keep hydrated. That and being in good shape.

Thanks. I sometimes have to drag myself kicking and screaming to do it, but it's always worth the effort.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

Quick camping trip over the weekend.

Cadomin, AB

Middle of nowhere. No tourists. Iffy cellphone coverage at best.

Good some hiking in, got some relaxing in.

Perfect.

20220806_131942.jpg

20220806_144413.jpg

20220806_144745.jpg

20220806_144552.jpg

And the hybrid is getting better. Will sometimes do highways speeds in electric mode. 900km to a tank, roughly 200km of that in electric mode.

20220806_154951.jpg

• Like 2

I've been to a few concerts this summer, first batch since March 2020...went to my first outdoor-ish one in 3 years, to a performance of Beethoven's 4th and 5th symphonies by the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra at the beautiful Blossom Music Center Amphitheatre a few miles from home last night.  Beautiful place w/ great acoustics.  Great evening, a bit warm and humid but cooled as the evening went on.

blossom.jpg

IMG-7693.jpg

17 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Quick camping trip over the weekend.

Cadomin, AB

Middle of nowhere. No tourists. Iffy cellphone coverage at best.

Good some hiking in, got some relaxing in.

Perfect.

20220806_131942.jpg

20220806_144413.jpg

20220806_144745.jpg

20220806_144552.jpg

And the hybrid is getting better. Will sometimes do highways speeds in electric mode. 900km to a tank, roughly 200km of that in electric mode.

20220806_154951.jpg

Looks like a great spot to spend some time