Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Heading back to work this afternoon after a month in "exile". 

Long story, but I took an ambulance ride, spent a weekend in the hospital and have been home recuperating for three weeks. 

MrsG is ready to kill me. :D

Grateful to be alive and returning to full duty.  I'm a lucky guy, twas a minor blip in comparison to what some are going through.

G

Have missed you being around, glad your better...

I'm happy after a great week of working with elementary school kids. Hopefully I will end the week as well today. On Tuesday, I had a great time talking with a bunch of 3rd graders about the Civil Rights movement of the 1950's and 60's. This started when a I told a teacher the day before about one of the most interesting evenings I've ever had about 20 years ago. 

On September 9, 1996 I was taking the train out of Washington DC, going to Chicago. That was the day Rosa Parks had been honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. After a fine dinner in the dining car, I wandered off to the club car. On one end of the club car were several older African American people talking about their expearances in the early days of Civil Rights movement. One who happened to be Rosa Parks' niece.

I sat down a little ways away from these people. But close enough to over hear them talking. I was so interested in what they were talking about, I asked if could sit with them, and just listen. They said sure, I was welcome to join them. Now I'm a white guy who grew up in lilly white suburbs of the 1960's, who had not experience what these people have gone through. Though I remember watching the news back then, and not understanding why blacks were being treated so badly. Having police dogs and fire hoses turned on them, just because they want the same things we had? It made no sense to me even as a young kid.

So I am sitting listening to these people talking about their struggles and the work they did to get their rights, and hopefully change society for the better. Since I was not involved in their struggles, I really could only sit back and listen. By the way, Rosa Parks' niece did stay with us long. But, I ended up sitting with the rest of these people, learning more about an important part of our history, over the next 5 or so hours. It was a fantastic evening. And I like that we ended the evening telling jokes. Which I did participate in. (No surprise there.)

So here I am today working in the schools of the same suburbs I grew up in. And I'm talking with a third grade class about my train ride and my views on Civil Rights. And I'm happy to say that classroom I was in is not all lilly white the way it was 40 - 50 years ago when I attended schools near by. I was also please that children felt comfortable enough with me and the subject to interject with their questions and comments about this subject. Things may not be perfect with race relations today. But they are better than what they were when I was born almost 59 years ago. And hopefully I'm contributing in my little way to making them a little better.

R. Scott Aho

Edited by unclescott58

It's a rainy Sunday, but I worked big-cars most of the day yesterday so I can work on the models today with a clear conscience. Cold and miserable outside, nice and warm inside. View out the windows is beautiful fall colors, big ol' pot of chili cooking down on the stove, vintage jazz playing through the best speakers on the planet.

Some days, life is pretty damm fine.

I think I'll make a fresh pot of strong black coffee. ;)

... how do you decide what you want to work on ? Just your mood for the day ?

Most of the first-string projects are "resting" because I've run up on one technical problem or another that I need to think through (usually subconsciously) or research for period-correctness.

What I pick to work on is whichever one that strikes my interest on the day (mood) but only if I've figured out what to do next.

I'm cursed by wanting to get the details and engineering right, and invariably "simple, quick" builds turn into full-scale engineering dissertations, with much period-correct research and reference hunting too.

But it's all part of the particular way I enjoy the hobby, with actually finishing something being an eventual goal, but not the primary goal.  :D

Spent 50 bucks on one of those lights you see on TV which bathe your house in red and green moving lights . Can't say I much care for it so why am I pleased ?  My wife loves it !

Saw them at Walmart for 39.95 and said, that's going to make some people mad. I guess the as seen on TV sticker won't help. 

Edited by slusher

• 2 weeks later...

Found out today that my wife and daughter arranged an early Christmas gift for me. They rented a car and booked a room at a lodge at the Grand Canyon for us. Leave on Thursday just for an overnight stay as we return on Friday. Saturday to the gun range. Sounds like a good Christmas week for me ! Have not been to the Grand Canyon for about 20 years so I am happy to go again. And no, I won't shoot my eye out.

Found out today that my wife and daughter arranged an early Christmas gift for me. They rented a car and booked a room at a lodge at the Grand Canyon for us. Leave on Thursday just for an overnight stay as we return on Friday. Saturday to the gun range. Sounds like a good Christmas week for me ! Have not been to the Grand Canyon for about 20 years so I am happy to go again. And no, I won't shoot my eye out.

The Grand Canyon is still breathtaking as my better half and I along with some friends were out there this past June. Enjoy!

Found out today that my wife and daughter arranged an early Christmas gift for me. They rented a car and booked a room at a lodge at the Grand Canyon for us...

Lucky man. I was there in August, and as Nick says, it's always just as spectacular as the last time.

i saw it once in this decade in the snow, and that was even more...more.

Hope you have a great, safe trip.

What pleased me today? Went to the coffee shop drive-thru, and when I got to the window, I was told the person ahead of me ( a complete stranger ) had paid for my coffee! So I did the same for the person behind me. What a wonderful and unexpected thing to do! Thanks to whoever was ahead of me in line...you've restored my faith in humanity!

Went out and watered the garden , picked 4 medium sized slicing tomatoes, a pint container of cherry tomatoes and 4 medium sized bell pepper . Weather thru the new year forecast is in the low to mid 70s . Still waiting on  the sign of freezing weather to move the garden inside . All of the plants are in old recycling bins with cages for portability . I should be able to have fresh tomatoes and peppers all winter with this setup .

Had a good meeting with a client who was beginning to become concerned that the custom design and fabrication work on his vehicle was taking considerably longer than I'd initially thought. He was so pleased with what he saw today, I'm in the golden "it will be finished when it's finished" zone, and he added more work to the ticket.

It's nice to be appreciated, and to deal with people who want quality rather than low price.