Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

as long as you didn't poison the rats!

Nope...I don't poison them for several reasons.

1) It's a lot kinder, I believe, to kill 'em with snap-traps. It's usually instantaneous, and if it were ME, it's the method of dispatchment I'd prefer if I had a choice between the two. I've seen a poisoned rat die. It's not the kind of suffering I'd like to inflict on anything, no matter how destructive and useless.

2) Dying rats tend to hide in the walls and other inaccessible places. The stink can be quite awe-inspiring after a while.

3) Between the feral cats, crows, and various species of hawks that live around here, there's no shortage of animals that appreciate a free lunch.

And it's a boom year for rats. So far 13. The previous record for one season was 11.

it is a regional thing, but your in the region...

When I wrote that response, I wasn't aware Xingu's building was a "pole barn". I understand the difference in construction, and where the structural stability comes from...but thanks for the clarification. :D

Still, I should have been more precise. Most of the shop construction I've seen, primarily prefab steel aircraft hangars in the southeastern and southwestern US, have had foundations and floors poured prior to erection of the rest of the structure (unlike Xingu's building)...but not poured at the same time, obviously.

More or less like this...   Image result for foundation wall footing

Smaller shops and hangars I seem to remember sometimes having had only a single pour, but still, the floor was in place prior to erection of the structure above it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There are hobby lifts that only require a 4" thick slab. I will not be using one often, so a hobby lift will work fine for me.

Surprised that no one has commented on the deer in the photo.

That's a really nice barn.  Don't see those much.  Deer?  See them all the time.

Got me one of these on Tuesday.  Our first grandchild,  Kelsie Anne.  The first of the next generation for both mine and my wife's family.  The holidays will be extra special this year!

Congratulations, Tom!   Beautiful baby, but too bad she's got an ugly grampa.  JK - (all us old grampas are ugly)

Got me one of these on Tuesday.  Our first grandchild,  Kelsie Anne.  The first of the next generation for both mine and my wife's family.  The holidays will be extra special this year!

There goes the model budget.

Congratulations! That child is going to be spoiled.

IMG_1154_(1).thumb.jpg.45a4f57ca193bca81

Thank you everyone.  Baby Kelsie went home today.  We will be spending the day with her tomorrow.  Haven't figured out what will be her first model yet, but we have time. Then again, we'll blink and she'll be sitting at the admissions table at NNL East!

Edited by Tom Geiger

kelsie.thumb.jpg.13cf9588e22ba1cacbd84ad

Congratulations Tom.  My grandson is 6 1/2 now & I can't wait til he gets the urge to build models instead of Legos.

Saturday  my daughter got married in San Diego and The Dana in Mission Bay. Nice day, beautiful weather  and everything went off without a hitch. Was about 130 people and all seemed to have a good time. I was nervous about giving my little speech and toast but it was well received and I got many compliments. I may not be able to afford any little Cobra's for awhile but that's ok. Daughter looked beautiful and had a great time.