Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Had a nice Thanksgiving. One thing my niece who hosts it does that's very nice, is at each of our dinner plates is small round piece of paper with a loop of string atached. On this paper your to write what your thankful for this year. After dinner we go around the table reading what we wrote, and then she hangs each one on her "Thanksgiving Tree." Which is little more than a small bare branch sticking out of flower pot. Somehow writing your thankfulness down, then hanging of her "Thanksgiving Tree" makes it more real and gives it more substance, than just going around table and saying it for us.

I'm also very greatfull we did not get the snow that they were predicting for yesterday. Rather 1 to 2 inches as predicted. We just got nice dusting. A perfect snowfall that made things like the lawns look pretty. But, melted off the roads and sidewalks as it came down. So there was no need for the snowblower or the shovel. Cars parked outside earlier that morning required a snow brush. But, mine was in the garage, so I didn't even have to do that.

Later that night stopped by some friends to say hi. They were planning watching a movie and invited me to stay. Their boys recommended a film called "Hotfuzz". Starring Simon Pegg. It's was a little graphic in it's depiction of violence. But, a funny movie overall. A lot of good Brittish humor, of the type I like.

So yesterday turned out to be another Thaksgiving with lots to be thankful for. Now off to my second job at the auto parts store, for the next 2 days. Which is always pretty fun, and I'm grateful for too.

The weather here in Atlanta for this Thanksgiving has been nothing short of awesome!  temperature into the 70's, sunny, blue skies!  and December starts on Tuesday whodathunk?!?!? 

Yes, it's been almost unbelievable.

Yesterday a good friend came over for dinner...first time I haven't cooked for Thanksgiving in about 40 years (I did a roast-duck last year on top of a single-burner propane heater)...she brought everything from her restaurant. Mighty tasty too.

We went for a long walk, and within a couple of miles of my house we saw a coyote (limping off to hide as we approached), a good-sized flock of very tame Canada geese that apparently overwinters at a nearby lake, a solitary blue heron that also seems to be a permanent resident there, some wild roses that smelled fantastic, and walked through a field of freshly-mown grass that had to have the best fresh-cut smell I've ever experienced.

After dinner we sat outside by my kerosene heater, watched the stars come out, and had coffee, 3 kinds of pie, and ice-cream. Then we watched the 1944 black-and-white film "Laura", with David Raksin's beautiful music and the beyond-beautiful Gene Tierney. All in all, not a bad day.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm pleased that yesterday, I spent the evening decorating for Christmas..... each time EVERYTHING (so far) has gone well. NO bad lights, and everything works.... OUTSIDE, and to top it all off, the weather was GREAT for doing it.... NOT many of those type evenings left in New England!

Yesterday the 30th was my big brothers birthday and he turned 60. 17 days difference of being 10 years. We went and saw a movie together while he is here for a visit. Seems like not long ago he was crushing me in the bunk beds when we was kids in Chicago. Had to sleep with him just had a 4 room apartment. 

We switched over to LED lights this year.  All our stuff is on the ground so I don't have to use a ladder.  Getting too old to climb.

After 35+ years in the construction trades, I've had my share of ladders and only use them around the house when I really need to, like to hang a picture, clean gutters, etc., and that's only because it's part of my job in my new career as a professional retiree. Besides I don't want to make the local electric company rich either.

I don't know if this belongs under pleased or irked. But, I had my first root canal this morning. After hearing the horror stories, I found it really wasn't too bad. The dentist did a great job. Only had a local. No gas. Yet I felt little to nothing during the procedure. This afternoon there was a little pain requiring me use a mild pain killer. I'm sure I'll need take some more before going to bed tonight. But in general, it was no where near as bad as I heard it could be. Soon I've got to go back a get another tooth done.

Two days ago I wrote in the "What Irked You" tread about having to leave my car with my mechanic. At the time he told me that between parts and labor, I was looking at somewhere just over $1,100. Which others pointed out was a good deal for the work that was being done to my car. Which knowing my mechanic, I suspected this was the case. Well I'm pleased to say, when I picked up the car yesterday, the bill came out $1,062. About $50 to $100 less than I was expecting. Not a lot of money. But, every little bit of saving helps.

Despite having some things happen, that we normally don't want in lives. I can't really complain. And this pleases me.