Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
James2

What Pleased You Today!

Recommended Posts

Brian (Griffin) is not a fan of cold, let alone snow!  I see the irony in it as he is part Husky, but he is usually the first of the foursome to 'recycle' and he is back at the deck door.  

We got a light dusting of snow a couple days ago but when i let them out this afternoon, he was rolling on the deck like a kid making snow angels!  

Brian making snow angels 12 20.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HomerS said:

Brian (Griffin) is not a fan of cold, let alone snow!  I see the irony in it as he is part Husky, but he is usually the first of the foursome to 'recycle' and he is back at the deck door.  

We got a light dusting of snow a couple days ago but when i let them out this afternoon, he was rolling on the deck like a kid making snow angels!  

Brian making snow angels 12 20.jpg

It's a dog's life! I never understood why that phrase implies something bad. We should all be so lucky. Brian is obviously enjoying himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good friend of mine just shot me a text a little bit ago. Early in the 2019 he went from being a tech at a GM dealer to teaching at a major auto tech school with campuses in multiple states and has generally loved this new job. The text he sent this morning was that he has received an award from the school for “Best Student Experience”! It was great to see this, especially after hearing how miserable that dealership’s work environment was to be in and general attitude of the people that ran the service department compared to how this school has been to work for and how his students have been to work with as well, now he gets this award stating how much the students liked being in his classes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

...now he gets this award stating how much the students liked being in his classes!

Great to hear. A good teacher who understands his subject and is interested in it can make all the difference.

It would be smart if there was a renewed respect in this country for hands-on technical work.

A GOOD mechanic can still make a high-5 to low-6 figure income (a jell of a lot more than second-rate emoji designers make), and if he opens his own GOOD shop, the earning potential is much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It would be smart if there was a renewed respect in this country for hands-on technical work.

Nowadays, it's all about seeing how much the company can gouge the customer.....

  • Requested a bid to frame the new deck we were building (we hadn't decided on the pattern layout for the decking itself).  We got a quote for over $5k to build it out including the decking
  • Had a switch that went bad my car that I took to a dealership to get fixed.  They added a charge (I think it was $20) for shop towels that was a plug and play as well as a hazmat charge.
  • Replaced a garage door and found one I liked but no one would install it unless they sold you one too (it was the same brand)
  • Took quotes for new roof.  Mr Roof salesman was so aggressive pushing me to sign he was one sentence away from having me call 911.  A second one gave me a quote &  I gave him a warning I've been in commercial real estate for over 30 years and know what this should cost....they came in over $3k over the third bid who not only got the work, I gave them recommendations that lead to two more jobs.

YouTube videos are the go to as they don't teach life skills in school anymore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at the latest NWS forecast.

Seems there's a chance, though slight, of having a white Christmas here this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HomerS said:

...YouTube videos are the go to as they don't teach life skills in school anymore!

Some truth to that, but unfortunately well over half of what's up on YT is just flat wrong.

EDIT: One of the little fellas we had to run off a while back got everything car-related from YT videos, even though we have on-premises just about the best technical reference library I've ever seen in any shop anywhere. 

Needless to say, he couldn't actually fix anything, and everything he "worked on" either came back almost immediately or had to be completed by somebody else in the shop...often me. His resume stated he'd been a "mechanic" for over 10 years...but he couldn't tell you in simple terms how an IC engine runs.

People need some (at least) basic knowledge of what they're looking to try to do in order to be able to sort through the rebleated YT gibberish and get to the good stuff.

Same goes for Google searches.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great to hear. A good teacher who understands his subject and is interested in it can make all the difference.

It would be smart if there was a renewed respect in this country for hands-on technical work.

A GOOD mechanic can still make a high-5 to low-6 figure income (a jell of a lot more than second-rate emoji designers make), and if he opens his own GOOD shop, the earning potential is much more.

He had been wanting to teach for a while now, he’s also probably one of the younger teachers at this campus and is maybe only 10-15 years older than most of the students and has a lot of the same automotive interests as them, which probably helps. He’s also modified almost every late model vehicle he’s owned.  He was fed up with the dealer he worked for as it was just getting toxic there, though he is building a shop to move his stuff into that will have room for a lift or two, but it’s more of a roomier place. For him to work on his cars when he’s not teaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the igniter on my furnace today. And unlike other things I’ve been doing lately, nothing went wrong and it’s toasty warm.  And for $19!

Last week we saw the next door neighbors had the obnoxious orange truck from the well known HVAC thieves in their driveway. This company starts every service call, before they even see your equipment, by telling you if your system is over ten years old you need a new one. 

The wife posted on Facebook that they had to get a new furnace. When I told my wife I fixed ours for $19, she asked me what I thought was wrong with theirs.. I replied, “Probably the igniter!”
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Yahoo's home page.....ESPN is expecting the Atlanta Falcons to name Marvin Lewis their next head coach!!!

I'm a Buccaneers fan (back to the creamsicle jersey days.....not jumping on the TB bandwagon)....this is great news.  No playoff wins in SIXTEEN seasons for the Bungals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After being off work for four months to take care of my mother, I can happily say she is in good enough health to start working again. I start my new job on Tuesday.

Edited by metalhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When posting pics on your store's Facebook page, pay attention to your background!  Both of the following are 'toy/collectible' stores

Store #1....picture of individual items but took the pic on the register counter, but also in the shot is the notebook showing a column of 'sell price' and 'cost to buy'.  Oops!

Store #2....either they drove a few miles away to purchase an item for $12 at Bargain Hunt or gave the seller around $6 and priced it on their page for $28.  Come on, like the people that sell the kits hoarded from Ollie's at least pull the store tag.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, metalhead said:

After being off work for four months to take care of my mother, I can happily say she is in good enough health to start working again. I start my new job on Tuesday.

Good for you! B)

Finally received something I bought off eBay on Nov 27 and was mailed on Nov 30. Still waiting on a purchase from Dec 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a model today that I got in the urge to work on about 2 months ago and couldn't find to save my life. Of course, it had been sitting about 18 inches from my favorite TV viewing chair the whole time. DOH! :blink::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for my Shabo paint stand for at least a week.. found it sitting on top of the paint booth with a Jeepster on it.  In plain sight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got messaged from the guy that bought that R/C Truck off me,  the truck arrived today and since he has the day off, he’s getting the chance to use it already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Just got messaged from the guy that bought that R/C Truck off me,  the truck arrived today and since he has the day off, he’s getting the chance to use it already!

I am glad it worked out for you and the buyer after the other guy was so rude to you..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, slusher said:

I am glad it worked out for you and the buyer after the other guy was so rude to you..

Thanks, so was I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripped the paint from an original monogram 40 pickup only to find it is perfect underneath the paint, not even a light sanding to any of it, and nothing had been scraped for glung so theres only a couple of tiny glue damaged areas where the rear fenders mount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Stripped the paint from an original monogram 40 pickup only to find it is perfect underneath the paint, not even a light sanding to any of it, and nothing had been scraped for glung so theres only a couple of tiny glue damaged areas where the rear fenders mount.

Cool! Is it molded in color? Giving any thought to polishing up that lovely old plastic? 

On 12/31/2020 at 1:29 PM, Snake45 said:

Finally received something I bought off eBay on Nov 27 and was mailed on Nov 30. Still waiting on a purchase from Dec 2. 

Today I received the second package, finally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Cool! Is it molded in color? Giving any thought to polishing up that lovely old plastic?

It'sina kinda nice turquse/green/blue colour. Unfortunately it ad been built with the option chevy fenders and my replacements are red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was yesterday, but I’ve been working on getting more and more of my crawler trucks running again and one of would power up and work the steering and dig servos as well as power the cooling fan on the electronic speed control, I was getting no throttle out of it, until last night when I messaged with a Horizon Hobby customer service rep and he had made some suggestions that ended up working and I now have 2 more operational, though very, very dusty trucks! Planning on getting a new radio system for these and other trucks, but I’m just happy that they’re functioning correctly at this time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...