Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!


James2

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

I saw the first two shows and i read or heard there is a total of 4. Not sure if that is true.

Wonder if that’s the first season or total episodes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, this olease

both Dad and myself, we’re swapping the “Upgrade” lower intake onto the Pentastar V-6 in my 200 and one thing Dad wanted to see was how the intake ports looked since the car has burned E85 since nearly new and we found exactly what Dad expected.  I bought this car in April of 2012, have put 117k On it, and used E85 almost exclusively from May 2012 to now. I’ve never let the dealership run an intake cleaner through the engine either!

D7D45828-1DF3-47D6-8364-42F3289E570D.thumb.jpeg.a881424f9d231be6f5e929127ce0b9a5.jpeg
C1D1C642-7AA0-463C-A915-0638142CEED8.thumb.jpeg.8a7e7bcd07093a0b6dd867d44a91760c.jpeg

Every single port it like this!

Edited by Joe Handley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, High octane said:

Hmmm, not lookin' too good.

For the age and mileage, that is good, though it still being port vs direct injection also helps, especially with the valves, you can still see a lot of metal there vs carbon.  
 

That said, we couldn’t get the aftermarket intake tube from the air box to the TB on and at one point the silicone coupler from the tube to the TB popped off and dropped down next to the Y-Pipe assembly for the 2 banks, so we had to jack it up, pull the right front tire off, the scoot my fat gut under the front of the car to pull it out only to find the band clamp included would go on, but it was late, I had sweat A LOT, and was getting a bit shaky. I gave up, put the stock corrugated tubing and resonators back on for now and may try to fine a bigger clamp for the TB side of things. While I was under there, I did take a quick look at the floor, looked way better than I expected for a car that is nearly a decade old and lifelong Chicagoland car!

26D87FD6-C9EE-4E8F-9DBC-20F3F0D9B4B3.jpe
A007B912-E94A-4C46-9A57-5C8D4949972B.jpe

I did take the car out and go get dinner for Dad and myself when done, aaaaaand it nearly had a hair trigger on the throttle by the time I got home with the food. I still have the option of getting an exhaust, ported TB, and a tune for it, but considering the Z Rated 235/60R18 BFG Comp-2 A/S+ tires spun nearly as hard off one light as the factory installed. T-Rated 225/50R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2’s did, despite being taller, wider, and stickier makes me think that the TB and tune may not be needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I turn 64 in another week. I did a 71 mile bike ride today (thats a pedal bike, no motor), with 3700 ft of climbing.

And I didnt come home and flop on the couch. Its all good!

Edited by dragstk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got around to taking the interior of my truck apart today. We’re working on getting the Dakota seats to fit and replacing the sagging headliner. I think I know what “project car” means now 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may have saved someone from hypothermia tonight. I work on a ferry as nightwatch and most nights theres nothing to do so I spend a lot of time just wandering around the boat. Tonight I was on the top deck looking back towards town and I thought I saw a very faint light below a some small cliffs on a shortcut locals take back to town from the aberdeen ferry. I flashed a torch at it and it started obviously flashing much brighter. I hummed and heyed for a few minutes trying to decide if I should call the cops so I waited ten mins while keeping an eye on the area. After a minute or 2 I decided I was best to call the cops as its better to call and be wrong rather than not call and be even wronger as I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if it was something wrong. I'm guessing I must have seen something as there are now 2 police cars and an ambulance near where I saw the lights and lots of activity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the last of the performance mods I bought for the 200 installed, all that was left was the resonator delete tube and I put that on in 90*+ temps and direct sunlight……I’d have swapped out a new driver side windshield squirter too, but I wasn’t feeling it, even though the tube install was all of 30 minutes of work.

588C1C4B-CCDC-437E-B827-CEDAC12F4C5F.jpe
32FB7F4D-993F-410A-9686-BC180E2C52EF.jpe

I have thought of wrapping the tube in something for insulation since it’s about a food above the right bank cat, but that too will also be for a different, cooler day!

Edited by Joe Handley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might be a good idea to form something as a heat shield around the exhaust to keep the heat away from everything under the hood. Looking at the factory Air Box I wonder were the air intake is and how large it may be. Anything that could remove any type of air flow restriction would have to help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, espo said:

Might be a good idea to form something as a heat shield around the exhaust to keep the heat away from everything under the hood. Looking at the factory Air Box I wonder were the air intake is and how large it may be. Anything that could remove any type of air flow restriction would have to help. 

I’m looking at some kind of thermal wrap down the road, maybe something like a header wrap starting and ending at the couplers or even those self adhesive aluminum/fiberglass  wrap or gold shielding like used in aerospace and on super cars, Just not sure yet.

The air inlet for the airbox is actually a snorkel that is on the left side and right behind the opening between the hood and bumper cover/grill/headlight.

F958422F-76A7-4511-B9D5-2628C88AC650.jpe

Best part is that it’s nearly as far off the ground as the opening on the XJ Cherokees were at stock ride height, which was just inside of and about the same heights as to where where the drivers side headlight is on those!

20120407_165949.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I’m looking at some kind of thermal wrap down the road, maybe something like a header wrap starting and ending at the couplers or even those self adhesive aluminum/fiberglass  wrap or gold shielding like used in aerospace and on super cars, Just not sure yet.

The air inlet for the airbox is actually a snorkel that is on the left side and right behind the opening between the hood and bumper cover/grill/headlight.

F958422F-76A7-4511-B9D5-2628C88AC650.jpe

Best part is that it’s nearly as far off the ground as the opening on the XJ Cherokees were at stock ride height, which was just inside of and about the same heights as to where where the drivers side headlight is on those!

20120407_165949.jpg

Joe, your 200 is a very sharp car..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Joe, your 200 is a very sharp car..

Thanks, hard to believe it’ll be 10 years old in December (as of Dec 2011 build date) and had a been his a few times in the last 9 1/2 years I’ve owned it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I’m looking at some kind of thermal wrap down the road, maybe something like a header wrap starting and ending at the couplers or even those self adhesive aluminum/fiberglass  wrap or gold shielding like used in aerospace and on super cars, Just not sure yet.

The air inlet for the airbox is actually a snorkel that is on the left side and right behind the opening between the hood and bumper cover/grill/headlight.

F958422F-76A7-4511-B9D5-2628C88AC650.jpe

Best part is that it’s nearly as far off the ground as the opening on the XJ Cherokees were at stock ride height, which was just inside of and about the same heights as to where where the drivers side headlight is on those!

20120407_165949.jpg

I see your intake in the photo now. The path for the incoming air is really a round and about path. Don't know if it's in your budget but you might check out either Air Raid or my favorite K&N for their air filters or replacement air cleaner assembly. These would allow a more direct path for the incoming air since every time the air flow changes direction you will lose velocity. The entire air box kit can run well over $200, but you could always think about a home grown affair altering your OEM air box and plumbing. Your Chrysler looks like something that has been well cared for and with the continued care it should last many years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, espo said:

I see your intake in the photo now. The path for the incoming air is really a round and about path. Don't know if it's in your budget but you might check out either Air Raid or my favorite K&N for their air filters or replacement air cleaner assembly. These would allow a more direct path for the incoming air since every time the air flow changes direction you will lose velocity. The entire air box kit can run well over $200, but you could always think about a home grown affair altering your OEM air box and plumbing. Your Chrysler looks like something that has been well cared for and with the continued care it should last many years. 

I’ve looked at those, I kinda doubt the effectiveness for cooler air over the box and are all north of $300 to boot, plus I already have a drop in K&N in the box. I’d rather put that money into an exhaust for the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I’ve looked at those, I kinda doubt the effectiveness for cooler air over the box and are all north of $300 to boot, plus I already have a drop in K&N in the box. I’d rather put that money into an exhaust for the car.

A simple sheet of metal close to the exhaust but away from anything you are trying to keep cool should work. Think about some of the exhaust shields that manufactures used to place between the spark plugs and the exhaust manifolds and that will give you an idea of the type of shield you'll need.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...