Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Heatwave! Was only -33 outside this morning. Plus windchill.

Now for those of you in warner climates who don't understand what that does to your vehicle when left outside overnight:

• your tires get hard, and for the first few minutes, you're driving on "square tires"
  • the fluid in your shocks/struts thickens up, so suspension is almost non-existent for a few minutes
  • your power steering fluid thickens up, so steering takes a lot more effort for a while
  • the foam in your seats hardens, so without heated seats to assist, it's like sitting on a wooden bench
  • exhaust particles linger, making visibility while in traffic a challenge sometimes.
  • if you haven't plugged in your block heater, and aren't running winter weight oil, your vehicle probably won't turn over and start. 
  • your TPMS will probably start warning you about tire pressure. The air molecules in your tires are colder, so they get closer, and your pressure drops. If it gets too cold, you could peel a tire from the rim

I was warm and cozy inside my truck, had the Christmas tunes playing, had my tea with me. All is good. 

:) 🎅 🎄

Edited by iamsuperdan
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Heatwave! Was only -33 outside this morning. Plus windchill.

Now for those of you in warner climates who don't understand what that does to your vehicle when left outside overnight:

• your tires get hard, and for the first few minutes, you're driving on "square tires"
  • the fluid in your chocks/struts thickens up, so suspension is almost non-existent for a few minutes
  • your power steering fluid thickens up, so steering takes a lot more effort for a while
  • the foam in your seats hardens, so without heated seats to assist, it's like sitting on a wooden bench
  • exhaust particles linger, making visibility while in traffic a challenge sometimes.
  • if you haven't plugged in your block heater, and aren't running winter weight oil, your vehicle probably won't turn over and start. 
  • your TPMS will probably start warning you about tire pressure. The air molecules in your tires are colder, so they get closer, and your pressure drops. If it gets too cold, you could peel a tire from the rim

I was warm and cozy inside my truck, had the Christmas tunes playing, had my tea with me. All is good. 

:) 🎅 🎄

And I was complaining that it was 46F here. An outright heat wave compared to what your weather is.

15 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

And You gotta love Timmy’s drive throughs in this kind of weather.🥶

I used to get my Steeped Tea from Timmy's on the way to work. But I've since put a Keurig in my office. Sits on top of the minifridge. Now I usually get to work and brew a hot cup when I get in. And some days (like yesterday and today) I'll bring one with me too.

And I'll have a couple during the day. 

Some people go nuts for coffee, I'm a tea guy.

My package finally arrived yesterday from Model Roundup so I'm pleased about that. Took 2 weeks.

There was some irk involved though. Freezing rain iced up the lock box at the mail cluster box so the key wouldn't turn to open it. It's down the street a bit form my house so I trekked back and grabbed a little warm water to loosen the lock. Took a couple of tries but finally got my package! This has been quite a frustrating experience.